Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 27,283 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a singe gay male with an 80K salary job opportunity in La Mirada. I'm very excited about this job, so I want to try and make this work.

Though I've been to LA many times, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area/layout, as well as best places to live - particularly in regards to a position in La Mirada.

My biggest problem with the job is that it's pretty far from the majority of my friends, most of whom work in the film industry, and live west and north of LA from the Santa Monica area to Burbank and Pasadena. Ideally I'd like to live somewhere in between any of those areas and La Mirada, but with the research I've done, I can't seem to find a place that appeals. I'd like to keep my commute down to 45 minutes or less.

I'd like to have the opportunity to go out once or twice a week to restaurants, enjoy some outdoor space, and an area with lots grocery stores, some shopping, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should look for rentals? Being single and at my salary, buying isn't an option, so a rental will have to do. I'm really open to anywhere with a 45 minute or less commute, and preferably only from La Mirada north and west. I don't want to be any further from my friends than I have to be.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
La Mirada and the surrounding communities are unassuming, suburban areas that would be boring for a single person looking for nightlife, etc. options.

If you're looking to keep your commute under 45 minutes, your best bet is probably going to be downtown LA. Lots of restaurants and bars, but there aren't really outdoor areas like parks or lots of grocery stores (pretty much just Whole Foods and Ralph's).

Another potential option could be Hermosa or Manhattan Beach, although your average commute might be closer to an hour.

I'm afraid that if you want to be in some of the more happening places, you're going to have to consider a longer commute.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,783 times
Not sure what being gay has to do with anything, but if your goals are to be within a 45min commute of La Mirada and between your friends in Pasadena/SantaMonica, I think your only bet is Downtown. It's a happening place and rents are getting out of hand, but on $80k with no major non-housing payments (student loans, car payment) you should be fine.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
I lived in LM for a long time and it's actually one of the more conservative places, but only because of the Christian college that's there. The rest is older boomers and working class. It's great for freeway access and the midway point from LA and OC.

I would actually suggest Fullerton, which is just one town over. Its a more traditional college town, with a better night life. I assume there's some gay night clubs there now, but I'd also assume the internet could just as well work. All the gays I know go to LA or WEHO anyway.

Long Beach is another option and does have a decent gay population. There are good and bad areas though; all I know is that the Belmont Shores area can be expensive. Depending on the time of commute it could be 30-45mins.

Anywhere else like Pasadena or LA or Hollywood would be about at least an hour commute if not more.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Plan on making new friends because you won't want to drive to where your friends are on a regular basis even on weekends

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Hi OP, like others said your only real option is Downtown LA.

Right now, 8:10 AM on a Thursday, gps is showing it as a 37 minute drive using the 60 fwy to surface streets, at least on the 60, you'd have a reverse commute.

Downtown LA is expensive but as long as you don't need a huge place you should be able to find a nice 500-600 sq ft loft or apartment for $1700-1800.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 27,283 times
Hi everyone! I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with downtown LA. Can someone talk to me about safety? Good areas vs bad areas of downtown? I've heard anecdotal stuff about it being absolutely filthy and overrun with homeless people.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinnersEnd View Post
Hi everyone! I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with downtown LA. Can someone talk to me about safety? Good areas vs bad areas of downtown? I've heard anecdotal stuff about it being absolutely filthy and overrun with homeless people.
If you are in and around the financial district, it's pretty safe. If you stay between Figueroa and Grand and don't venture south of Olympic, you'll be pretty good. Nevertheless, you need to remain vigilant.

While I listed it as a suggestion because a lot of people are flocking downtown and some like busier, urban life, I personally don't like downtown from a living standpoint as it has become a homeless haven and is definitely filthy in spots. Better place to work and go out to eat/enjoy nightlife/meet other singles in my opinion.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
If you are in and around the financial district, it's pretty safe. If you stay between Figueroa and Grand and don't venture south of Olympic, you'll be pretty good. Nevertheless, you need to remain vigilant.
Hi, this information is really incorrect. OP, I suggest you go look for yourself. Only you can decide what you like. In particular the item about living in the financial district is largely incorrect...there's only a handful of buildings there and they are quite high priced compared to what you get. Also the not living south of Olympic thing in incorrect. The area west of about Hill or Grand up to Flower is very nice south of Olympic and is part of downtown known as South Park, considered by many to be the best neighborhood downtown.

I'd also look at Little Tokyo as that's become s very nice area. Two relatively nice places for the price are The Medallion(though you will encounter homeless in the area). It's well located near Spring and moderately priced. Also the Blackstone. However you'll have to visit the area and determine if it suits you.

And most of the homeless are located in areas where you won't be living or visiting.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM

53 posts, read 75,466 times
If you work in La Mirada and prefer a commute down to 45 minutes or less, I wouldn't go more than 15 miles from there. LA traffic is unpredictable at times and you'll see gridlocks during weekends as well.

Downtown LA has the nightlife but the segment of the 5 freeway between Downtown LA and La Mirada is a traffic chokepoint (it widens starting from Anaheim and south), although you may be driving opposite of most of the traffic. not much outdoor space other than concrete sidewalks near skyscrapers. Also, few supermarkets which equals higher prices.

Have you considered Fullerton? It has nice, safe areas to the north as well as a plethora of restaurants in its downtown area. Similarly, there's also Brea, which is also safe and has a nice little downtown area as well as the Brea mall. Both areas will be a short commute to La Mirada and both have plenty of parks/grassy areas. Neither have the urban feel of Downtown LA, but you'll get a nicer apartment for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles