Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Did anyone here live in LA in the early to mid 1970s and recall what it was like then? Were there really high crime areas back then? Does anyone have any photos of the area from say, 1971 thru 1975? I would really like to see the Burbank area from the early 1970s. Where did most of the "movie stars" live back then? Beverly Hills or ?

I am just wondering, because I am such a fan of early 1970s and early 1970s movies and I know that alot of movies were filmed in Burbank or the deserts of California in general. Some that come to mind as far as movies go are... Duel (1972), Dying Room Only (1973), etc. Then in there was shows like The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie that were filmed in the area as well in the 70s and 80s. Has anyone ever visited the areas where the "exterior" sets of those movies were filmed?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Did anyone here live in LA in the early to mid 1970s and recall what it was like then? Were there really high crime areas back then? Does anyone have any photos of the area from say, 1971 thru 1975? I would really like to see the Burbank area from the early 1970s. Where did most of the "movie stars" live back then? Beverly Hills or ?

I am just wondering, because I am such a fan of early 1970s and early 1970s movies and I know that alot of movies were filmed in Burbank or the deserts of California in general. Some that come to mind as far as movies go are... Duel (1972), Dying Room Only (1973), etc. Then in there was shows like The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie that were filmed in the area as well in the 70s and 80s. Has anyone ever visited the areas where the "exterior" sets of those movies were filmed?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Check this out:

Exterior Movie Making Locations (http://employees.oxy.edu/jerry/homeloc.htm - broken link)

There is an exterior western town near Box Canyon and Studio Road in the hills above Chatsworth. Also, check on Iverson Ranch and Janss Ranch and movies.

Janss Conejo Ranch - Conejo Valley

Westerns filmed in the Chatsworth area

Russell Ranch (became Westlake Village)

Go to

Advanced Search (http://catalog1.lapl.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?getLimitedTerms+27228 - broken link)

and

San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

and search for Burbank

Bob's Big Boy 1976

Brush fire Burbank 1970s (Check out the Camaro...I can hear Ted Nugent and Aerosmith....)

Burbank hotel 1979 for Fire Dept training

Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks Charles for those photos and links! How I really long to visit LA and the "deserts" of southern CA. Maybe someday when I am able to visit my family there, I will be able to visit.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
You can have an armchair adventure checking out L.A. movie locations today by finding Michael Medved's newish book "Hollywood Escapes" about same. P.S. A music company (now no more) that I worked for in the 1970's used to have their company picnics at a western location ranch. They were fun!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
For a great opportunity to see what LA looked like in the 70s, try to get a copy of the movie Kenny & Company. It is a stroll down memory lane for me - it was shot in Long Beach (Bixby Knolls and Signal Hill area if I am not mistaken) - and most of the residential areas in LA looked like that when I was a wee young'un in the 70s. The movie will also give you an idea of what kids in the 70s did for fun - there actaully was a world of fun to be had before ipods, walkmen, cell phones, gameboys, etc. came to be.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
For a great opportunity to see what LA looked like in the 70s, try to get a copy of the movie Kenny & Company. It is a stroll down memory lane for me - it was shot in Long Beach (Bixby Knolls and Signal Hill area if I am not mistaken) - and most of the residential areas in LA looked like that when I was a wee young'un in the 70s. The movie will also give you an idea of what kids in the 70s did for fun - there actaully was a world of fun to be had before ipods, walkmen, cell phones, gameboys, etc. came to be.
Hahaha! I hear ya! I used to ride my bike with my friends, play in the sandbox, draw, play with bugs, you know all that stuff that dont really require electricity and computers
Ah that was the good days. You don't see kids out playing like you used to, it's strange.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Hahaha! I hear ya! I used to ride my bike with my friends, play in the sandbox, draw, play with bugs, you know all that stuff that dont really require electricity and computers
Ah that was the good days. You don't see kids out playing like you used to, it's strange.
My birthday party 1968 or 1969 in Canoga Park, CA. My dad's Kodachrome slide scanned with a Nikon LS-2000 slide scanner.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
You don't see kids out playing like you used to, it's strange.
Now that you mentioned it, I NEVER see kids out playing anymore. I really never thought about that until you mentioned it. I was born in 1976 and I remember the 1980s, the video game and computer rage had JUST started and even in the late 80s, alot of kids still played out alot in our neighborhoods. Seems like it was the 1990s when all of this indoor stuff started kicking in. Maybe thats why so many kids (and adults) are so overweight these days?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks for sharing the keen photo! That camera really took a great photo! Looks like digital quality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My birthday party 1968 or 1969 in Canoga Park, CA. My dad's Kodachrome slide scanned with a Nikon LS-2000 slide scanner.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
I started a "Nostalgia" thread a while back that ended up having quite a few pictures posted on it (or links to sites with pictures). Here's the link (warning - as of now, it's 13 pages!):

Nostalgia

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles