Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times

Advertisements

These two links were posted on the Nostalgia Thread (page 6):

Burbankia, by Wes Clark and Mike McDaniel
Burbankia photo page

I thought you might find them interesting. Many of the pictures are from before the 70s, but are still pretty neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
(warning - as of now, it's 13 pages!):
Just an FYI, you can adjust how many posts are on a page in your City-Data forum settings.

Go to your Settings
Edit Options
Show XX posts per page. I have mine set for 40 posts per page so for me Nostalgia is only four pages.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
I visited LA in 1964, but would have to dig for photos. It was fabulous. My aunt and uncle lived in Woodland Hills, and I remember it felt like at the end of their street, it was country. I was absolutely enthralled. We went to Disneyland and had a total gas; Disneyland felt completely new, and I was the exotic kid when I returned to my blue collar neighborhood and "regular" 8th grade with photos. There was a rattlesnake in my aunt's back yard one day, and she made us come inside and wait for the animal control people. Drove us nuts to stay indoors in beautiful, sunny, Southern California.

Sunset Blvd was not the cesspool it is today (so sad); we went to Grauman's, walked around no problem, and had ice cream. Definitely made anyone want to be "in the movies."

I remember the beaches, totally lovely and even Santa Monica Beach was clean and beautiful.

Topanga Cyn Blvd was like wilderness, and I remember wondering what would happen if we got a flat tire. Felt totally remote.

1973 and on: I visited many times in the 70's. The hippie thing had kicked in, and I remember people going to the bank barefoot with furs on in Beverly Hills. Also, there was much more development and I remember someone telling me that real estate in Malibu was $1000 a running foot. Laff riot, huh. As the 70's progressed, there was more of a crime vibe, and I was sad to see Santa Monica Beach get a little gamey there....but loved going to Catalina Island on the helicopter. As time went on during the 70's, I felt less and less safe....and the traffic and people were much more out of control

Does anyone remember (is it still there?) the Sandcastle Restaurant in Malibu? It was the site where that James Garner TV series was filmed (detective...can't remember the name). Also, I remember going for abalone at the Pierpont Inn...was that in Santa Barbara?

Believe it or not, in the "old" days I felt there was a quiet beauty about the LA area, particularly nearer the ocean, the PCH was never crowded, and I felt the beauty of California nature was not buried by civilization, as it rapidly seemed to be going the last time I visited (mid 90's). I miss it.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I know a guy that lived in Los Angeles from 1965 through 1979. He said it was a fun time... he was a true hippie!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Jimi Hendrix, Newport Pop Fesitval, 1969, Devonshire Downs (I can barely remember this.)

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Fabulous. Thanks for the photo.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
I love that brushfire picture. The entire look of that photo brings me back to my childhood.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 PM

I loved it too. I remember being in the Valley and seeing brush fires up on the hills. We were visiting and I could not believe -- everyone seemed to take it in stride and just go agout their business down below. This was late 80's, maybe 70's. I don't remember huge fires like today's....but maybe there were. I was visiting at the time.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I was wondering about that too... everyone seemed to be at ease....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
I loved it too. I remember being in the Valley and seeing brush fires up on the hills. We were visiting and I could not believe -- everyone seemed to take it in stride and just go agout their business down below. This was late 80's, maybe 70's. I don't remember huge fires like today's....but maybe there were. I was visiting at the time.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I was wondering about that too... everyone seemed to be at ease....
Well, maybe the feel the same way about tornado watches or snow in other places, and how THOSE people stay "at ease?" To me, not the same as fire, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles