Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:14 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Mexican culture is very, very racist. Even more so than the United States.

I never saw the tension growing up in the LA area. However, I did not grow up in the slums or yucky Inland Empire.

Those places have had "race wars" at the local high schools in the past.

I can tell you that the skateboard community is pretty color blind in LA though.

We would hang out at the Hawthorne skate park and you would see every ethnic group under the sun getting along fine.
Skate culture is interesting...a good amount of those within that culture, also embraced both Punk and Anarchy. Kind of a free for all, be and let be mentality...but at the same time, f!ck the police. lol My brother and his friends were like that...now he is all grown up and an integral member of society (as a civil engineer), haha.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Mexican culture is very, very racist. Even more so than the United States.

I never saw the tension growing up in the LA area. However, I did not grow up in the slums or yucky Inland Empire.

Those places have had "race wars" at the local high schools in the past.

I can tell you that the skateboard community is pretty color blind in LA though.

We would hang out at the Hawthorne skate park and you would see every ethnic group under the sun getting along fine.
I was a pretty big skateboarder and agree. I used to chill around the staircases at hollywood high and around LA High and it would be pretty much a melting pot of skaters who would be there all the time. Some of my best memories in LA were playing skate against blacks, asians, latinos and whites. I personally think LA is the best place to skate in the world and this is one of the reasons.

Quote:
lol My brother and his friends were like that...now he is all grown up and an integral member of society (as a civil engineer), haha.
I'm a prof making good money but skating will be apart of me for life so i agree

Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,448 times
I'm Mexican and I hate black people. You can't sit with us!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:29 PM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I'm Mexican and I hate black people. You can't sit with us!
Are you being sarcastic or are you being serious?

Old 01-04-2015, 02:30 PM

106 posts, read 380,805 times
Default L.a. Latinos ignorant. Give me miami or nyc!

[quote=GuitarHero45;37849474]does this only apply to African-Americans? If so, which type of African Americans?

For instance, let's say you have a dark-skinned Spanish-speaking Dominican Catholic who decides to move into East LA to be around fellow Hispanics but he or she is black. Will this person still face racism from the Mexican/Chicano community?

The reason I ask this is because I have a friend here in Connecticut who's from the Dominican Republic and she looks like a blackened Mexican...seriously. She used to be an ESL student and had tons of Mexican friends in her classes who treated her like she literally was a black Mexican girl and one of them.

Anyways, like a lot of people here in the East Coast, she thinks California is the "place to be" and dreams of landing a job and moving there once she finishes higher education here in CT.

I warned her before that it isn't that easy to land a job in California and that the Mexicans in the West Coast aren't as open-minded as the ones over here.

She's obviously thinks the Mexicans there will accept her as a fellow Hispanic but I strongly doubt her blackness can be overlooked. What do you think?

Dominicans don't typically look anything like Mexicans as Dominicans are mostly mulato Black/white but many Dominicans on the island look closer to African americans with varying degrees of complexions although the majority of Dominicans are caramel skin toned many look straight up black. But to answer your question I think it depends on the general look of the Dominican. There are white Dominicans as well and they may have a very different experience even within D.R. than a black Dominican. I am black and have lived in the Dominican republic and my partner is Dominican who is caramel colored and can pass for a light skin black American who one would probably think is mixed with "something." Our experience is most Mexicans perceive him as black and when we speak Spanish they look at us as if we were aliens from out of space our something. In addition we speak with a carribean Spanish accent which is much faster than the generic slower Mexican Spanish spoken here in L.A. It's irritating because Mexicans when we speak to them in Spanish will answer us in English. I SPEAK ENGLISH WHICH IS FINE BUT HE IS STILL LEARNING AND IT'S LIKE THEIR MINDS CAN'T FATHOM SOMEONE CAN BE BLACK AND STILL SPEAK SPANISH. DOESN'T HAPPEN IN NEW YORK OR MIAMI BUT ONLY DIVERSITY LACKING LOS ANGELES. But to really answer your question I think in general Mexicans have a problem with ALL black people and they don't seem anymore partial to Dominicans, Puerto Ricans or Cubans either especially if they are black. Also somebody needs to educate Mexicans who seem to be not only racist but IGNORANT to the fact that all latinos are not Indian/Indio or Mestizos meaning Indian/Indio or Indigenous mixed with Spanish like the most of them are and latinos can be black, white, Mulato a mixture of both and even Asian etc.LATINO IS NOT A RACE PEOPLE. In general I think Mexicans HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES with black people in general. NOT ALL MEXICANS I AM SPEAKING IN GENERAL. OF COURSE I DO KNOW SOME REALLY COOL MEXICANS AND THEY WERE EDUCATED but they aren't the majority I have come across.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM

99 posts, read 125,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
LATINO IS NOT A RACE PEOPLE..
A Hispanic or Latino can be of any race and many are mixed race. In the United States, most Hispanics and Latinos are either white or mestizo. Some Hispanic/Latinos from Caribbean and Latin American countries may also have African ancestry.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:44 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
no doubt lots of terrible misunderstandings. zero white guilt among latinos.
the entitlement badge is not honored in the barrio.
people are expected to conduct themselves in a civil manner not act out because of past historical wrongs committed by europeans.
this is not acceptable in the barrio.
https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com...on-looting.jpg
the farmers of sinaloa know how to deal with this.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:49 PM

106 posts, read 380,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius07 View Post
a hispanic or latino can be of any race and many are mixed race. In the united states, most hispanics and latinos are either white or mestizo. Some hispanic/latinos from caribbean and latin american countries may also have african ancestry.
thank you thank you thank you.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,965,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
AND IT'S LIKE THEIR MINDS CAN'T FATHOM SOMEONE CAN BE BLACK AND STILL SPEAK SPANISH.
Since we're speaking in generalities here, BUT IT'S ALSO LIKE THEIR MINDS CAN'T FATHOM THAT SOMEONE CAN BE HISPANIC OR LATINO AND STILL NOT SPEAK SPANISH OR NOT WANT TO SPEAK SPANISH ALL THE GOSH DARN TIME.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,798,412 times
I always hear of this supposed 'hatred' between Blacks and Mexicans, but I have never seen it in real life.

I have Jamaicans and African-Americans in my family. We have very close AA family friends that come to all of our family events- have known them for over 20 years. I also work with lots of African-American women and there is absolutely no separation or tension- if anything there is comraderie, respect and friendship.

That whole 'race war' is exaggerated and ridiculous IMO.

As far as Dominicans, their music (bachata) has become extremely popular and trendy among Mexican/Mexican-American youth in the US. So Dominicans are on 'cool' status right now in that community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles