Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,768,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBenMe View Post
Yes, it's the city of LA. I believe it's a 3 or 4 bedroom. These are rather large units, which make it perfect for students to share. Actually, it's a condo that the owner rents out - not an apartment. So with that said, I think the rules are a little different with condo vs. apartment, although I am not sure.

For some reason, the other neighbors haven't complained or said anything. I think it is because we get the majority of the noise pollution since we live right directly below them. The stomping, running, jumping would only impact us, and not others. Although I did see one other neighbor get very upset once when she collected their beer bottles from the grass outside by the curb. They do enter and exit the building at all hours, but that isn't the main problem with them. I'm more concerned with the noise that they are producing inside their unit.

I think I have been too nice. Next time it happens I will be less patient and call the police right away.

OK, when you say you talked to the landlord, do you mean you talked to the actual condo owner, or is this an onsite person?

If you haven't talked to the condo owner, I would find out who that is and where they're located. Maybe they moved out of state or something, and aren't paying attention to their property.

Also, there must be a condo board made up of the condo owners. I would also talk to that woman who picked up their beer bottles and get her on board and a few others. About how many condo units are there?

Years ago I lived in a condo in Studio City(about 30 units) and a very quiet building. A new owner moved in who was a young guy in his mid to late 20s, he decided to have a loud party on a Saturday night on the roof.....LOL. Well it was shut down fairly quickly by the police and he was told this isn't going to fly here.

I think you need to get a few other neighbors to join you, and see if you can find out how many people are residing there, even if it is 3 or 4 bedrooms, if there is 10 of them that is way too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 08:02 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,997,929 times
Yeah, condo board is probably the way to go. Keep up the police reports in the meantime. There must be something in the rules and regs about excessive noise.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,501 times
I spoke with the condo owner. Not the landlord (sorry, I guess I use those terms interchangeably). The truth is, he is an elderly gentleman and I have a feeling he will continue to just give out warnings to these kids instead of evicting them. Plus, there is no solid proof that there are more than 6 people, we just have very strong evidence based on other things we've seen and heard. Also, the problem here is that their stomping, running, jumping, dragging furniture, etc is more problematic than their loud music. This means that our unit is the only one affected by it, so it will be hard to get others on board since there is no problem from their perspective. This is a nightmare, it's almost as if no one else in the building believes us since they are not living in our unit to witness it!!!! I've even asked the owner to come over and "see for himself" what I am talking about. Of course, both times that he was here the neighbors were quiet little angles...Ugh, they have kicking up a storm right now as I type this...

Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,768,938 times
Quote:
I spoke with the condo owner. Not the landlord (sorry, I guess I use those terms interchangeably). The truth is, he is an elderly gentleman and I have a feeling he will continue to just give out warnings to these kids instead of evicting them. Plus, there is no solid proof that there are more than 6 people, we just have very strong evidence based on other things we've seen and heard. Also, the problem here is that their stomping, running, jumping, dragging furniture, etc is more problematic than their loud music. This means that our unit is the only one affected by it, so it will be hard to get others on board since there is no problem from their perspective. This is a nightmare, it's almost as if no one else in the building believes us since they are not living in our unit to witness it!!!! I've even asked the owner to come over and "see for himself" what I am talking about. Of course, both times that he was here the neighbors were quiet little angles...Ugh, they have kicking up a storm right now as I type this...

Are you renting or do you own the unit you're in? If you're renting, have you said anything to your owner?

There has to be a condo board, go to the President(who most likely lives there) and tell them you have talked to the elderly owner and he isn't doing anything, if need be go to the condo president and insist they come over at a time when they're kicking up a storm so they can here it firsthand.

There must be rules in regards to noise.

And if need be call the police again. If there is underage drinking as one poster already mentioned going on that would be a start in getting them out.

Imagine the damage they're probably doing to the place, the elderly owner might be in for a shock.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,501 times
I'm renting - the owner is the elderly man previously mentioned. I've thought about the damage that these kids are definitely bringing to the unit. Poor guy will definitely be in for a shock. Do you know where I can look up the laws on condo ownership/rentals/noise disturbances?? I just need to find one thing - anything - that will be an easy way to get them out! (Aside from the underage drinking. I think they are college seniors which would make them around 22 years old).

Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,842,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
If these are truly fraternity boys, odds are it's probably happening. I was in the Greek system myself and can tell you that this happens ALL the time.
Tell us more. I've never heard of such a thing before.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM

362 posts, read 547,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Tell us more. I've never heard of such a thing before.
LOL! Sometimes it's fun playing Captain Obvious. I'm just kinda surprised the OP hadn't mentioned telling this to the police.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:05 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,842,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
LOL! Sometimes it's fun playing Captain Obvious. I'm just kinda surprised the OP hadn't mentioned telling this to the police.
It's okay, your post made me chuckle in real life.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM

323 posts, read 1,394,457 times
Too bad you can't switch apartments with them and then it would be just the noise of the music. If the base isn't too loud.
I've known of people that had years of misery with this above noise problem. I would move for the sake of sanity. Noise cancelling headphones though very costly could take some of the edge off. I would keep calling the police. They should be
fining them. Plus what about help in your city that goes to court for tenants. Unfortunately that could take a few months.
Ask for a receipt or ticket to verify each time the police come if you plan to go to court. Keep pestering the owner and any association in charge of the complex. Keep a record of noise problems, day n time.

At that age and student drinking parties they are not probably going to behave. Most people with any sense would have not excepted them.

Because of the horrible construction of many apartments and condos apartment dwellers should own less stuff just so they can move easily. All it takes is one noisy neighbor to ruin your quality of life. Thank your lucky stars you don't own that place!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM

822 posts, read 1,292,059 times
Quote:
I am at my witt's end! My upstairs neighbors are six (yes, SIX) unruly frat boys. But this is a quiet residential neighborhood, and the tenants upstairs are simply loud and have zero respect for other people and property. In fact, my husband and I have good reason to believe that they have snuck an extra 4 people to live with them, for a total of 10 monsters living above us. And they just brought home two large dogs. Yikes. They stomp and jump and run at ALLLL hours of the day. It begins in the morning at around 7 right exactly above our bedroom, and continues the whole day in the living room too until well after midnight. It's literally is non-stop. They also host parties every other day or so, and their music is loud and brutal. Earplugs are very painful for me, so that is not an option. We tried approaching them on multiple occasions, but they simply reply with "oh sorry, we are too drunk right now." I have cried so much over this, because my home is no longer the peaceful place it is supposed to be. My anxiety has reached new peaks, and it's affecting my relationship with my husband. We've already spoken with the landlord multiple times, and he has given them plenty of warnings. I just feel so sad, angry, and helpless right now. Anyone have any suggestions, aside from "get over it" or "you just need to deal with it." Please help, before I completely lose my mind!!!!!! :m ad:
People who disrespect others do so for a reason. You set a precedent by not going something about it. You contacted the landlord who tried. They don't respect the landlord. So try the police next. Better yet send your husband up there. Frankly I would just go up and start kicking their door as hard as you can. If you break it then you pay for it. But the point is to scare them that you don't take BS. You are nice but when push comes to shove you will wipe their face on the pavement. Do you think if a gang lived underneath them and complained just once, they would quit? I think so as they would be scared but they aren't scared of you because you are perceived not to be a threat. So change that perception. Kick their ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles