Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,155,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
Revisiting my post after 5 years. I no longer live in California, just couldn't see spending my entire life chasing a dream that died generations ago. I truly feel for those still there, especially those that are starting out. You're playing against a stacked deck, unless you are already established, you're an outsider looking in. Go find a state, any state, where you can actually own some land, some assets, that this wonderful country has to offer. Trust me when I say this, you will reach a time in your life when you look back and wonder where the time has gone, and then you'll wonder how am I going to support myself for the time that's not gone. I have news for all you, we're all going to be in the same place 100 years from now, so you better enjoy what you have while you still have it. Signed a native ex-Californian.
believe it or not Steve, there are many people here that are successful. Because you couldn't make a go of it here and found your happiness elsewhere does not mean others can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,084,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
believe it or not Steve, there are many people here that are successful. Because you couldn't make a go of it here and found your happiness elsewhere does not mean others can't.
Yep. I, too, left California in 2008. I traveled all around a bit of the world; Chicago, NYC, Boston, London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, Athens, Rome, Tokyo, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Bangalore, Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, etc. etc. and all the countryside and smaller cities and towns inbetween.

Then I stopped for a while in a place like the OP suggests; "Middle America" where you can buy some land, visit the big-box stores and chain eateries in your SUV, and do the "American Dream" thing while your soul slowly dies.

After all those experiences, I can say that a few places came close, but none ever beat Southern California. Sure, there's plenty of warts, but overall, it's at the top of my list of desirable places to be.

Now I'm coming back! Whoopee! I'm not entry-level, but not I'm not a movie star either. The housing bubble popped, and it looks like I can afford maybe even a detached single-family on a single income. My spouse will be looking at restarting her company in the business-friendly environment of LA (and if you think it's not, just try starting one anywhere else!) The kids will have opportunities and experiences I never had a chance at as a youngster.

Yeah, there's dangers, pollution, crime, and more entitled airheads stumbling around than you can shake a stick at, but for my family SoCal is still the place to be!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,547,024 times
If there was no demand for the housing here, prices would not be as high as they are.

There is a reason you can buy a gigantic mansion in Detroit for $500k, and why that $500k will buy you a bungalow (maybe) in L.A.

And it's not because L.A. is a terrible place to be.

I dunno, these types of threads confuse me. Basically the purpose is to say "you will need more money to buy a house and live in L.A. than you will in Tennessee or Orlando." Ummm...OK, that is true.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM

3,079 posts, read 5,517,560 times
I am currently in NYC, so when I move to LA, I don't think prices will be too much of a shock to me...LOL

Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,954 times
It all depends where you live and what you like

Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,701,034 times
I'd like to add that you also end up paying for it just to live in the LA metro area because it is once again 93 degrees as I type this. I wouldn't mind the heat but just not this early. Thankfully we are cooling off tomorrow. The weather here is overrated. In fact, I think the weather here is kind of mediocre. And we are only just into the month of April. It seems to me all some people care about is living somewhere where they can see the sun 300+ days a year and/or go to the beaches and surf. Sunny weather doesn't pay your bills and or mortgage on a property. There is MUCH more to life than just getting a suntan, surfing and having as much sun exposure as possible. No wonder this place is so expensive. Everyone seems to still want to come here. I encourage others to really think about it before they move here because the reality paints a far different picture. I am not trying to put down my city of residence at all. There ARE things that I do like about being here. It is just that I thhink differently than most other people in LA. I think there are other more important reasons to live somewhere other than the weather or climate of a place.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 04-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM

8,381 posts, read 13,536,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
If there was no demand for the housing here, prices would not be as high as they are.
There will always be inflation and there will be always more demand for buying property in more desirable areas such as So Cal but if you think the insane cost of housing is merely due to the high demand or housing bubble then you need to watch the documentary called "Inside Job" to realize what cause the major financial poop that the entire world is in right now and since the same a-holes who caused the US portion of this catastrophe still enjoying their high profile positions and highly lucrative income/lifestyle, things will not get any better anytime soon.

American Dream became American Nightmare and many are still dreaming thinking things will get better in the next few years...

I personally would not want to buy a house anywhere even if I could afford it. Rent it if you must be, I really do not get the point of buying one, especially in this volatile market/economy.
I would if I was going to be around 100 years from now...

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,547,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
There will always be inflation and there will be always more demand for buying property in more desirable areas such as So Cal but if you think the insane cost of housing is merely due to the high demand or housing bubble then you need to watch the documentary called "Inside Job" to realize what cause the major financial poop that the entire world is in right now and since the same a-holes who caused the US portion of this catastrophe still enjoying their high profile positions and highly lucrative income/lifestyle, things will not get any better anytime soon.

American Dream became American Nightmare and many are still dreaming thinking things will get better in the next few years...

I personally would not want to buy a house anywhere even if I could afford it. Rent it if you must be, I really do not get the point of buying one, especially in this volatile market/economy.
I would if I was going to be around 100 years from now...
Well, some people are more secure in their income/jobs than others, and either want to stop flushing their money away in rent, and/or want to take advantage of the currently low interest rates.

The whole "nobody can afford housing here" argument makes NO sense. Obviously SOME PEOPLE can afford it, and they are buying the homes and keeping the prices up. Because, as the laws of supply and demand dictate, if nobody could afford it, the prices would come down (and they already have quite a bit).

It reminds me of that old Yogi Berra saying to the effect of "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded." It's an oxymoron similar to "Nobody can buy houses, the prices are too high."

Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,895,127 times
I am glad that not EVERYONE has the same idea about what constitutes a fulfilling life. I watched a movie called THE GOOD LIFE on NetFlix last night. What a downer of a movie! The last minute of the movie made a valuable point and pointed out what is really important in life but before that it was really depressing.

GL2

Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,241,655 times
Anyone read some of Stevedr83 prior posts? The recurring theme: bash those of us unenlightened, deluded Angelenos who are wasting our lives chasing the 'dream that died generations ago.' Hyperbole worthy of Mike Davis and his ilk.

Yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles