Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

3,923 posts, read 4,607,568 times

Advertisements

KTLA 5 - Los Angeles News and Video for Southern California

From what I understand, there was a high speed chase and he ditched his car in North Hollywood. He was on the roof of a house, (or garage) in plain view. He had a rifle in his hand. Swat is out and locking down the area. Now he's holed up in a structure. Not clear if he is alone.

So the question is... when he was on the roof in plain sight, why didn't was he shot with a tranquilizer gun right away? They do this with bears and cougars. I know he's a human and he might break some bones falling off a roof, but now he's off the roof and holed up.

How come the police allowed this to happen? How was he allowed to come down off the roof and possibly further endanger the public? The news report now is he's inside a house. Residents in the neighborhood are now stuck in their house.

They should have tranquilized him with a dart gun when they had a chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

37,217 posts, read 42,528,088 times
Arm chair quarterbacking is fun and makes us feel smart.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,065,481 times
When animal control shoots a bear with the tranquilizer gun, the bear is usually sleeping. That is why they have time to go get the tranquilizer gun.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually no, its a real question. If anything, I feel dumb, but I'm glad you feel clever making fun of someone you don't know.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
When animal control shoots a bear with the tranquilizer gun, the bear is usually sleeping. That is why they have time to go get the tranquilizer gun.
They were chasing this guy for quite a while so they would have had time.
SWAT is there, but I guess only real bullets are allowed.
Seems more humane to have a few snipers on hand with something non lethal to put him out.

I'm sure there's a logical reason, I admit I'm totally ignorant on police policies such as this, (lawsuit if he did get hurt?) but just wondering why it wouldn't be an option.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,312,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've enjoyed your sublime sense of humor over the years I've been reading your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
They should have tranquilized him with a dart gun when they had a chance!
Because.... What happens when they hit the suspect and he goes under and rolls off the roof and the fall kills him?

What happens when his family sues City of LA for multi-million dollars? Do you want your tax money wasted like that?

Hey, dude is on a roof. No food. No water. Only one way out: down. All the officers have to do is wait him out, many of them loving the overtime they're collecting. Then out come the cuffs or the bean bags. Problem solved.

This is the way may blockade situations are handled. Isolate the suspect. Either talk him out or wait him out. End result: either suspect is taken into custody peacefully, or suspect threatens officers with lethal weapon (gun, knife) and gets shot and then gets to ride in either an ambulance or a coroner's wagon.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Actually no, its a real question. If anything, I feel dumb, but I'm glad you feel clever making fun of someone you don't know.
Get to know her. It's worth the effort!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,444,026 times
Quote:

So the question is... when he was on the roof in plain sight, why didn't was he shot with a tranquilizer gun right away? They do this with bears and cougars.
Animal control personnel are called in when they do that. Often the California Department of Fish and Game.

I've watched dozens of televised police chases in Southern California. I can't think of one that included an animal control unit following along with all the cop cars.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Animal control personnel are called in when they do that. Often the California Department of Fish and Game.

I've watched dozens of televised police chases in Southern California. I can't think of one that included an animal control unit following along with all the cop cars.
This topic is headed off into LaLa land. Animal Control Officers are called to deal with animals. Any Animal Control Officer who used a tranq gun on a human being would be arrested, fired and prosecuted.
If the perp had a dog with him Animal Control would be called to ... control the animal! Voila!

Why are Ceece and I the only people here who realize that you can't use tranq guns on humans, particularly if they are on a roof? And that the Dept. of Animal Control has the word "animal" in it for a good reason?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,065,481 times
Quote:
They were chasing this guy for quite a while so they would have had time.
SWAT is there, but I guess only real bullets are allowed.
Seems more humane to have a few snipers on hand with something non lethal to put him out.

I'm sure there's a logical reason, I admit I'm totally ignorant on police policies such as this, (lawsuit if he did get hurt?) but just wondering why it wouldn't be an option.
It's not police policies, it's just that there is no tranquilizer that sedates someone instantly or even works uniformly across humans of the same size and weight. In the 1980s people did tranquilizers to get high. They could shoot him with a tranq and he might go all Wolf of Wall Street.

Last edited by rzzz; 06-09-2014 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles