Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,702 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am moving to LA this June and although I have done a lot of looking, need some serious advice. I am in my 20's and have a daughter whom is 6. Before anyone tells me, I know there are people that feel it's not a place for kids, etc., but I was raised near DC and I turned out great--and have common sense. Also, my mom will be there with us for the first few months to settle in and help out.

I am an aspiring makeup artist and commercial model, moving from Birmingham due to the minimal opportunity here (the heat/humidity AND this strange arctic blast can take a hike too. My daughter also has an interest in the arts.

We live a minimalistic life so that we have time to do more things we like and experience more--so basically:
1. I will need a studio (temporary) or 1 bedroom apt that is close to Hollywood (I assume this is the best area for our interets? If not, please elaborate.)

2. Some suggestions on schools--I know nothing about charter/union schools except what I've read online and seen in movies! I read about West Hollywood Elem & it has a 9/10 on great schools. What are the options?

3. Lastly, could we survive without a car? Looking to really implement the minimalist mentality if possible, so I'd love to sell mine and get rid of the payment and insurance cost!

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
People do live without cars, but it might be difficult for the kind of work you want to do. Going carless works best for people who have a very regular work schedule: same place, same time.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohollywould View Post
I will need a studio (temporary) or 1 bedroom apt that is close to Hollywood (I assume this is the best area for our interests? !
Why, are you thinking movie or TV studios? Try Culver City or Burbank. Paramount is pretty much the only one still in Hollywood; it's way south of there, anyway. Plus, Burbank has good public schools.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM

175 posts, read 288,153 times
Burbank is by far your best option. It has a walkable community, decent schools, and near all the studios. Though good luck with that. Ive been in the business as a makeup artist for 15 years and its a horrible hard life. You can live without a car but I wouldnt personally recommend it. Los Angeles is so spread out. Hollywood is not a good option. The schools are terrible. and forget charter/magnet schools, they have a lottery system. I live in hollywood and send my daughter to private school, the only other option was homeschooling. English is the third language in hollywood schools behind spanish and russian.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohollywould View Post
Hello

I am moving to LA this June and although I have done a lot of looking, need some serious advice. I am in my 20's and have a daughter whom is 6. Before anyone tells me, I know there are people that feel it's not a place for kids, etc., but I was raised near DC and I turned out great--and have common sense. Also, my mom will be there with us for the first few months to settle in and help out.

I am an aspiring makeup artist and commercial model, moving from Birmingham due to the minimal opportunity here (the heat/humidity AND this strange arctic blast can take a hike too. My daughter also has an interest in the arts.

We live a minimalistic life so that we have time to do more things we like and experience more--so basically:
1. I will need a studio (temporary) or 1 bedroom apt that is close to Hollywood (I assume this is the best area for our interets? If not, please elaborate.)

2. Some suggestions on schools--I know nothing about charter/union schools except what I've read online and seen in movies! I read about West Hollywood Elem & it has a 9/10 on great schools. What are the options?

3. Lastly, could we survive without a car? Looking to really implement the minimalist mentality if possible, so I'd love to sell mine and get rid of the payment and insurance cost!

TIA!!
It's not that LA isn't a great place to raise kids- it IS a great place, under the right circumstances. The "right circumstances" are: 1) Stable family with two adult partners ( any combination of gender), and 2) Minimum gross family income of $75K to $125k (1-3 kids), and 3) Comfortable home in a safe neighborhood with good a school. You don't meet currently meet these criteria. And your prospects of meeting them with your plan are bleak.

The way I see it, you have two viable options. First (best) option: Stay in Birmingham and raise your child in a secure and loving environment, surrounded by friends and family. Once she's a functioning independent adult, you can come to Hollywood and pursue you goals ( You'll still be young)

Second option: Come out now, if you must, but leave your six yr old with your mother. Give yourself time on your own to get established. Your chances will be better if you only have yourself to worry about. Then, when you are settled (good job, safe comfortable place to live, network of trusted friends, you can bring your daughter out here.

That's my advice. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It's not that LA isn't a great place to raise kids- it IS a great place, under the right circumstances. The "right circumstances" are: 1) Stable family with two adult partners ( any combination of gender), and 2) Minimum gross family income of $75K to $125k (1-3 kids), and 3) Comfortable home in a safe neighborhood with good a school. You don't meet currently meet these criteria. And your prospects of meeting them with your plan are bleak.

The way I see it, you have two viable options. First (best) option: Stay in Birmingham and raise your child in a secure and loving environment, surrounded by friends and family. Once she's a functioning independent adult, you can come to Hollywood and pursue you goals ( You'll still be young)

Second option: Come out now, if you must, but leave your six yr old with your mother. Give yourself time on your own to get established. Your chances will be better if you only have yourself to worry about. Then, when you are settled (good job, safe comfortable place to live, network of trusted friends, you can bring your daughter out here.

That's my advice. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, but:
1. There is NO way in the firey pits of hell that I would move anywhere without my daughter. There is a good chance that my mom would move as well, as she has no ties to where she is now.
2. I want my child to be cultured and have opportunities... so I'm assuming you've not been to Birmingham; let me inform you, those are rarities here, unless the opportunity you want is to be a stepford wife.
3. I do not have any family here in Bham except my dad, with whom I do not get along with and is very negative, and my step mom and sister. I'm the black sheep on this side of family, and there is no real connection. The rest of my other side of family is spread out all over the country, so I don't really have a home base.

Thank you for trying to help, though.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylistvg View Post
Burbank is by far your best option. It has a walkable community, decent schools, and near all the studios. Though good luck with that. Ive been in the business as a makeup artist for 15 years and its a horrible hard life. You can live without a car but I wouldnt personally recommend it. Los Angeles is so spread out. Hollywood is not a good option. The schools are terrible. and forget charter/magnet schools, they have a lottery system. I live in hollywood and send my daughter to private school, the only other option was homeschooling. English is the third language in hollywood schools behind spanish and russian.
Thank you for the usable information! After a lot more research, I'm finding Burbank is probably the place. An acquaintance of mine moved there last year, so I'm going to reach out to her as well.

Also, I think I'll definitely need the car, like you guys have mentioned, especially in this industry. I also love to spontaneously visit nearby-ish cities, so I'm not sure I'd want to anyway for that reason alone.

Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why, are you thinking movie or TV studios? Try Culver City or Burbank. Paramount is pretty much the only one still in Hollywood; it's way south of there, anyway. Plus, Burbank has good public schools.
Thanks! This is the same info I am gathering from other resources as well. I am definitely thinking Burbank!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I think the "leave your daughter with your mom" things was as a temporary measure. It's not an outrageous idea, people relocate all the time with job transfers and someone is usually the advance-man and the rest of the clan follows once things are settled.

The only reason it's being suggested is because there isn't any indication of JOBS for you or your mom so unless you have plenty of money in reserve the odds are not in your favor, and even if you do the first place you land probably won't be permanent so multiple moves may be in order before anything gels, that includes multiple school changes for your child.

You desires for your daughter are understandable, just make sure you understand that what you want for her may not be what she experiences. And god yes, you will need a car!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Don't listen to people that say you can't raise children in LA. I feel like a broken record but I'll repeat this again. I was raised in LA as were many of my friends and there is nowhere else I would rather have been raised. It's a great place that will offer a child plenty of experiences and no I do not come from a rich family by any means.

I'm currently raising my daughter here and will certainly put her into a local elementary school, which is LAUSD, and she'll learn both english and spanish there as I did.

LA is a fun and educational place to be a kid, without question. It's certainly better than some cookie-cutter family friendly suburb or small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles