Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,051,610 times

Advertisements

There's no Little Italy in Los Angeles; however, I would advise African-Americans nevertheless to avoid the Latino neighborhoods, since lately there's been a surge of crimes committed by Latinos against African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 PM

139 posts, read 301,334 times
Yep, I grew up in Inglewood, CA and would say that if anyone says there isn't non-sense latino on black and black on latino crimes then they should keep sipping that Rainbow coalition Kool-Aid while the bullets, knives , and fists keep flying.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,624,916 times
There racial tension is between the Black and Hispanic gang members...You can see that on the news almost daily.

Most Mexican gangs will not fire at other Mexican gangs...but will fire at Black and Salva Gangs.

The Aryan Brotherhood and Sur Hispanic Gang Alliance is a prison thing. Many Nazi Lowriders are in fact Hispanic or have Hispanic surnames.

Quote:
From ADL.org Website: The group has made a limited exception for Hispanics -- a few NLR members have Hispanic surnames, and members who have Hispanic girlfriends or wives are readily accepted -- probably due to the hatred of blacks shared by white and Hispanic prison gangs. (There is enmity between NLR and Northern California Hispanics, probably because of the demographics of established criminal gang rivalries.) Other nonwhites are not tolerated. One former NLR member explained, "You must have at least half white blood but no black blood."

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Default What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
California is one of the most racists states in the nation. The North is full of "skinheads chapters." I have traveled the North, South, West, and East top to bottom since 1980. Of course, if you live in one of the poorer areas, with minorities, they are more willing to accept you, but the moment you want to upgrade yourself into one of the better areas, as a minority, watch out! Stay away from Fallbrook, and Bonsall, in the Northern part of San Diego County. That is where Tom Metzer, the Head of the Aryan Nation lives, unless his house burned in the recent fires, and he has moved to his other headquarters in Sandpoint, Idaho. As a member of a minority group myself, I have been expoxed to racism in these areas, and I have natural blond hair, and a very light skin. I do, however, possess a slightly- accented speech that identifies me as a "foreigner," even though I am, by birth, an American Citizen from the island of Puerto Rico. Always protect yourself, and be on the lookout. |I did not experience much bias in Los Angeles, but that maybe was because I was visiting friends in the Eastern part. Good luck,
I don't know where this poster is talking about with all of the "skinheads" in California?? If your a decent law abiding citizen and happen to be black you'll be fine. California is one of the most liberal non racist place in the country. Just my thoughts

Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 AM

194 posts, read 305,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't know where this poster is talking about with all of the "skinheads" in California?? If your a decent law abiding citizen and happen to be black you'll be fine. California is one of the most liberal non racist place in the country. Just my thoughts
The three posts directly above yours say quite the opposite.

I think most people PREFER the historic view of California (Southern) as being
progressive, tolerant, liberal, and 'fun in the sun'. It still is, to a degree, but times have definitely changed.

There are indeed dangerous, and pretty racist areas in the Southland.

It may be Surenos gang members instead of the stereotypical Klansmen/redneck/skinhead types, but racist is still racist.
And violence is still violence.

It wouldn't be fair to paint ALL of California with a broad stroke because of incidents in Harbor Gateway, or Highland Park, or racial agitators like Florencia 13 in Florence-Firestone. But to disregard those incidents, or pretend like they're 'non-issues' is equally irresponsible, and deceptive. Especially for someone who doesn't know what those areas are all about.

A transplant or tourist could be putting themselves in harm's way, regardless of what color they are.

Also, whoever said Mexican gangs don't shoot each other...I don't know where you're coming from.
18th Street and Rockwood kill each other all the time. Gangs in Pacoima, too. And Blythe Street in Panorama City.
I won't even get into the South Bay barrios...

Old 12-28-2007, 05:43 AM

312 posts, read 1,521,535 times
HI !
I'm from Europe !
How is living in L.A. ???

Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,937,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
HI !
I'm from Europe !
How is living in L.A. ???
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...s-angeles.html

Old 12-29-2007, 12:49 AM

52,408 posts, read 52,925,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
The three posts directly above yours say quite the opposite.

I think most people PREFER the historic view of California (Southern) as being
progressive, tolerant, liberal, and 'fun in the sun'. It still is, to a degree, but times have definitely changed.

There are indeed dangerous, and pretty racist areas in the Southland.

It may be Surenos gang members instead of the stereotypical Klansmen/redneck/skinhead types, but racist is still racist.
And violence is still violence.

It wouldn't be fair to paint ALL of California with a broad stroke because of incidents in Harbor Gateway, or Highland Park, or racial agitators like Florencia 13 in Florence-Firestone. But to disregard those incidents, or pretend like they're 'non-issues' is equally irresponsible, and deceptive. Especially for someone who doesn't know what those areas are all about.

A transplant or tourist could be putting themselves in harm's way, regardless of what color they are.

Also, whoever said Mexican gangs don't shoot each other...I don't know where you're coming from.
18th Street and Rockwood kill each other all the time. Gangs in Pacoima, too. And Blythe Street in Panorama City.
I won't even get into the South Bay barrios...
I suppose I have to modify my comments about racism. I'm just used to hearing about white racism. I forget about alot of the black and latino racial issues. The whole subject just seems sad. I don't understand the upswing in latino against black violence. I don't know if it related to jobs and housing availability. It seems that before the influx of illegals, middle class blacks had a lot of jobs in construction and various other trades. The wages of those jobs have been slowly erroded by "cheaper" labor that illegals "provide". It sort of reminds me of the documentary about Wal-mart called "The low cost of cheap prices". I'm not on a anti-illegal rant just thinking out loud.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy7 View Post
Look, there are like 20 billion people in L.A., all from different walks of life and different parts of the world. No one is really going to care if a black person enters the city limits. Yes, there is much anti-black sentiment in L.A., and racial "tension". But there's nothing here to prevent a Black person from living a normal life. If you already have a job lined up, and want to do it, then do it.

The big question is: why would you even WANT to live in L.A. Are you really going to be making more money, considering the cost of living out here. It's pretty expensive overall. But, to each his own.

"Much anti-black sentiment in L.A." = not a great place for Black people to live and thrive. There is hidden racism here, and it's inevitable when people are raised without interacting with many Black people, they listen to the media, and have preconceived notions. This translates into their daily lives, into the school systems, and into the workplace. I was born and raised in Southern California, and have lived in L.A. most of my life, and can honestly say - I've had it. If you don't want to get stared at, or questioned on a daily basis, you have to live in areas where there is a decent amount of Black people in the population. I graduated from UCLA in Westwood, and have worked up and down the coast of California (most areas comprising of less than 2% Black people in the affluent areas). In the better parts of town, Black people are really a minority. Note: I am a female health care provider, and dress well, but I still have had to endure comments while in college, and inappropriate behavior on the job. I have been followed in stores on various occasions, for no reason. I have to always make sure that if I pick up merchandise, I have it in plain sight at all times, to minimize this embarrassment. Going into areas like "Calablackless" (i.e., Calabasas), Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, etc is worse. You can go days/weeks without seeing a Black person. I did notice when I lived in the Palms/Culver City areas, there were more Blacks. These were decent areas at the time, and I believe they are developing even more. If I was staying and wanted to pay a ridiculous mortgage, I'd consider these areas. Other than that, L.A. leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,877,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enurse View Post
"Much anti-black sentiment in L.A." = not a great place for Black people to live and thrive. There is hidden racism here, and it's inevitable when people are raised without interacting with many Black people, they listen to the media, and have preconceived notions. This translates into their daily lives, into the school systems, and into the workplace. I was born and raised in Southern California, and have lived in L.A. most of my life, and can honestly say - I've had it. If you don't want to get stared at, or questioned on a daily basis, you have to live in areas where there is a decent amount of Black people in the population. I graduated from UCLA in Westwood, and have worked up and down the coast of California (most areas comprising of less than 2% Black people in the affluent areas). In the better parts of town, Black people are really a minority. Note: I am a female health care provider, and dress well, but I still have had to endure comments while in college, and inappropriate behavior on the job. I have been followed in stores on various occasions, for no reason. I have to always make sure that if I pick up merchandise, I have it in plain sight at all times, to minimize this embarrassment. Going into areas like "Calablackless" (i.e., Calabasas), Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, etc is worse. You can go days/weeks without seeing a Black person. I did notice when I lived in the Palms/Culver City areas, there were more Blacks. These were decent areas at the time, and I believe they are developing even more. If I was staying and wanted to pay a ridiculous mortgage, I'd consider these areas. Other than that, L.A. leaves a lot to be desired.
Whoa, I thought the City of LA had policy of non-discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles