Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 PM

603 posts, read 848,101 times

Advertisements

Is the commute bad? I had originally considered moving to LA but have recently started to give the SF Valley more thought. The valley seems to be much more residential and safer (correct me if I'm wrong).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 PM

425 posts, read 649,025 times
Don't do it. My wife did it for many years and finally she had it and quit. Brutal on average 1.5 hours each way door door from Calabasas to Hope Street. Some days 3 hours with accidents.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Is there any part of the SF valley that's close to Los Angeles itself?

Sherman Oaks seems to be a little closer.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM

195 posts, read 348,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Is there any part of the SF valley that's close to Los Angeles itself?

Sherman Oaks seems to be a little closer.
I think North Hollywood is closest and if you want you can take the subway to dtla.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,192,058 times
Quote:
I had originally considered moving to LA but have recently started to give the SF Valley more thought. The valley seems to be much more residential and safer (correct me if I'm wrong).
First things first

What is your budget?
Renting or buying?
Married? Kids? Ages?
Spouse works?

There's a train that runs for Moorpark to downtown and runs from NW to SE across the valley.

You could look at Burbank, Chatsworth, Simi and Moorpark.

Anything on the south side of teh valley with good schools is very expensive and the traffic sucks unless like mentioned above youcould work the subway.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
First things first

What is your budget?
Renting or buying?
Married? Kids? Ages?
Spouse works?

There's a train that runs for Moorpark to downtown and runs from NW to SE across the valley.

You could look at Burbank, Chatsworth, Simi and Moorpark.

Anything on the south side of teh valley with good schools is very expensive and the traffic sucks unless like mentioned above youcould work the subway.
Budget is 600-700 for a room. I really just wanted to know the closest places in the SF valley to LA by car.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 902,200 times
Depends what part of LA - Glendale and Burbank are close enough to DTLA and the 5 in that area isn't that bad (comparatively speaking)

Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,020,928 times
Please also bear in mind that the San Fernando Valley has a well deserved reputation for heat:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ey-so-hot.html

Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
Please also bear in mind that the San Fernando Valley has a well deserved reputation for heat:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ey-so-hot.html
Thanks. I'm starting to look into moving to the westside.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,532,744 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm starting to look into moving to the westside.
Again, however, it can be a difficult commute if you live west of the 405. In a few years (we hope), they'll finish the Expo Line all the way out to Santa Monica, which will make it easier for a lot of people. As it is now the Expo runs between DTLA (7th Street Metro Center, i.e. 7th and Flower) and Culver City Station (Venice and Robertson), and you can park and ride at Culver City, although I don't know how full the lot gets. Depending on where your job is you might not even need to take more than that one train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles