Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of 2012 I moved to LA from DC , mainly to give it a shot and get a change of scenery as I'd lived in DC my entire life. I loved the food, weather, people, and all the usual stuff about living in California. But after about 7.5 months there, I moved back home. My main reason was because most of my family and friends (who've I've been friends with for 20 years), all live in DC or the surrounding states. I found it hard to be without them, though I did make some cool friends in LA. Seeing my family only 3/4 times a year was a bit tough for me. I've been back in DC for exactly one year now, and I think about Los Angeles everyday. Living and working in DC depresses me to no end, as I feel like it pales in comparison to LA.

So my main dilemma comes down to having all my close friends and family nearby and living in a city I really don't like, or living in a city I really really love while not having those people around. Of course I can make new friends in LA, though I did find it tough when I was there.
In November, I'm flying to LA to visit for a week, so I plan to immerse myself in the city once again and see if it's everything I remember or if I'm only being nostalgic about the good parts. I do kind of feel like I didn't give LA a full shot while I was there, and I didn't go out as much as I should have. I moved around wile I was there; I lived in Playa del Rey, Burbank, and Los Feliz. each for a few months. If I do move back I'm planning on staying in WeHo or somewhere walkable, since driving to go out was one of my gripes with LA that contributed to me returning to the east coast.

What do you guys think? Did anyone else leave all their friends and family when they moved to LA?

I am 24

Last edited by MerylNag; 08-13-2013 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Come back out here if that's what you really want. I moved from Florida to LA back in the winter without knowing anyone, and without a job. Things couldn't have worked out better.

I visited LA for a week before I moved out here, but honestly I don't like it as much as I thought I would. So I will be leaving sometime soon. But I know what you mean about not giving LA a full shot.

But it sounds like you really need to get out of DC. It was easy for me because I really needed to get out of Florida and wasn't close to family and friends there.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM

27 posts, read 64,426 times
I have been here in Weho for 5 years and have no family out here and no friends. I have made some good friends in my time here, but they have all moved or live so far away that I never see them. Actually, I have a lot of old friends who live in DC and have thought of relocating there because I feel so lonely and isolated. But, I'm a 39 yr old woman. I have to think it would be easier for a 24 yr old. Less than a year is definitely not long enough to get over homesickness, so I think it's worth coming back and staying at least a couple of years just to see. It's an amazing city...I haven't been able to let go of it yet. You can always Skype with your family.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
I understand what you mean about LA being somewhat isolated from the rest of the country. It takes 5 hours by flight and almost a week driving. If there's a family emergency, then you can't just pick up and "drive" home. You'll need to have ready airfare available at all times.

I lived in LA for a few years, then moved back to NYC sometime in September 2013. I'll be moving BACK again in September/October to house sit for a friend for three months, while he's traveling for business.

I don't like NYC anymore. I knew I wouldn't like it when I moved back, but I just had to make sure I wasn't overreacting and not giving it a "chance". The city's changed a great deal and I will no longer tell people that I'm from here as I'm quite "ashamed" of what it's become now. Like, can you say pussification of the highest order??

I dig LA's vibe. Very cool and different place.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I understand what you mean about LA being somewhat isolated from the rest of the country. It takes 5 hours by flight and almost a week driving. If there's a family emergency, then you can't just pick up and "drive" home. You'll need to have ready airfare available at all times.

I lived in LA for a few years, then moved back to NYC sometime in September 2013. I'll be moving BACK again in September/October to house sit for a friend for three months, while he's traveling for business.

I don't like NYC anymore. I knew I wouldn't like it when I moved back, but I just had to make sure I wasn't overreacting and not giving it a "chance". The city's changed a great deal and I will no longer tell people that I'm from here as I'm quite "ashamed" of what it's become now. Like, can you say pussification of the highest order??

I dig LA's vibe. Very cool and different place.
And that's I am moving back to LA too, around the same time. My lease ends in Nov., and there's no point in renewing it for the SUCKY place Bloomberg has turned the city into. At least I'll get to vote in the Mayor's race by absentee ballot.

Back to LA, I particularly love the beach cities in Los Angeles. So looking forward to the nice weather.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 08-13-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
Yeah, LA pawns the east coast. The east coast is cool, but only for visiting IMO. So many old-money snobs who think they're above everyone, terrible weather, and people that live to work and don't know how to chill. Not that LA and the west coast don't have problems too, but at least you can enjoy yourself more.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM

218 posts, read 362,501 times
I made the move from DC last month. I had 30 years in DC. Most of my family and friends are in DC. I've lived away from DC when I went to college so moving away again is not so much of a shock. DC is boring after 30 years. There's nothing much to do there. When I was there I stayed home most of the time because I ran out of things to do. I've seen it all. When I was in DC my family only got together during holidays and we mostly just talked on the phone. Well I don't need to be in DC for that. Sometimes it's the mental crutch of having family and friends near when in reality if you thought about you don't really see them and or hang out that often. What's the point of being near them then? That's my reasoning. I don't miss DC and I text/talk to everybody on the phone just like I did when I was in DC. The only difference now is I'm in different environment and have much more to do to keep me entertained. They all want to come visit LA.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerylNag View Post
...So my main dilemma comes down to having all my close friends and family nearby and living in a city I really don't like, or living in a city I really really love while not having those people around. Of course I can make new friends in LA, though I did find it tough when I was there.
In November, I'm flying to LA to visit for a week, so I plan to immerse myself in the city once again and see if it's everything I remember or if I'm only being nostalgic about the good parts. I do kind of feel like I didn't give LA a full shot while I was there, and I didn't go out as much as I should have. I moved around wile I was there; I lived in Playa del Rey, Burbank, and Los Feliz. each for a few months. If I do move back I'm planning on staying in WeHo or somewhere walkable, since driving to go out was one of my gripes with LA that contributed to me returning to the east coast.

What do you guys think? Did anyone else leave all their friends and family when they moved to LA?

I am 24
I left my whole country. I find that the longer you're away, the less homesick you get. You'll just need to be more active and have more distractions to take your mind off it. Go on road trips etc. Stay busy.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

377 posts, read 529,855 times
maybe convince your friends and whole family to move out with you? That would certainly help ease traffic congestion, although not by much

Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 PM

213 posts, read 449,513 times
Ask yourself this: Would you mind wearing a gas mask every day outside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles