Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,095,262 times

Advertisements

LA needs a German-style S-Bahn system where you can go very quickly from A to B with few stops in between. Kinda like BART in the Bay Area. Then once you get from A to B (like from downtown to the Westside) you can use buses or light rail for shorter local trips from B to C.

Subways or light rail just sucks for a city the size of LA, if every local community organization insists on stops every half mile or quarter mile or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 PM

484 posts, read 873,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Even if LA were to get a system like that one day, I wouldn't want it. The city is not built for public transit. I think light rail works well in LA, but the actual LA subway is an absolute horrible system. That's why I'm not excited about it going to the West side in some 20-odd years.

I don't think we'll ever see an LA where you can truly live without a car with ease and be able to walk to everything half a mile from each stop. The city just can't handle it.
Why does it matter to you? Aren't you moving to NYC next summer or something like that?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,453,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Why does it matter to you? Aren't you moving to NYC next summer or something like that?
So I can't care about the progression of LA as a city?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,894,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Not sure why you hate the Red Line. It carries a hefty price tag but it people use it and it helps explain the revitalization of places like Koreatown.

I agree the sheer expanse and Santa Monicas will prevent the majority of Angelenos from relying exclusively on a comprehensive rail network. That's where we go multi modal. To eleven, if necessary. A full build out of thecurrentMTA project list AND our current bus system gives us...a decent mass transit system. I'll take that.
One or two bad experiences (of which I can say I've never had on my dozens of trips on the line) and he hates it. Ridiculous that he'd rather not see the Purple Line built - that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

I also would like to hear how the LRT system works better than the subway? Most of what I hear is the opposite.

Last edited by munchitup; 07-14-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,894,217 times
Quote:
I don't see how those comments relate to caring about the progression of LA as a city? Just seems like another (of many as of late) attempt to denigrate the city. I mean how awful - a totally built-out system (and honestly that one seems pretty comprehensive, not much uncovered). I'm with Nslander, this is about promoting multi-modality and options besides the single-passenger vehicle - not making LA a car-free paradise.

I think that more bus-only lanes on our boulevards are one way to significantly (and relatively inexpensively) improve LA's transit dramatically.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,156,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't see how those comments relate to caring about the progression of LA as a city? Just seems like another (of many as of late) attempt to denigrate the city. I mean how awful - a totally built-out system (and honestly that one seems pretty comprehensive, not much uncovered). I'm with Nslander, this is about promoting multi-modality and options besides the single-passenger vehicle - not making LA a car-free paradise.

I think that more bus-only lanes on our boulevards are one way to significantly (and relatively inexpensively) improve LA's transit dramatically.
He or she is an LA hater, don't argue. They'll be gone soon enough.

We will certainly have a transit system like the one shown in the picture, it just may take a while. The city clearly wants it though as evidenced by Measure J. Those results are definitely promising.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,710,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
We will certainly have a transit system like the one shown in the picture, it just may take a while. The city clearly wants it though as evidenced by Measure J. Those results are definitely promising.
They're promising if you're a supporter of Agenda 21.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 AM

484 posts, read 873,712 times
Quote:
Certainly you can care. In a polite way...by no means was I suggesting you're not allowed to care. If you truly do, I'm glad. I was just curious why it matters to you when it won't affect your day-to-day life as you'll be (or planning to be) 2,500 miles away?

In a not-so-polite way...as someone who talked about moving to LA from Tampa for a long time, and after doing so already have plans to leave after a year...to read what you want or don't want for our city, a city that you don't really seem to like, is ridiculous and a little insulting. I mean, you're not even going to be here by that time. Are you going to be rooting for LA's transit from afar, when you're not even rooting for it now? It just seems incongruent to me that you wouldn't want an improving transit system only because you don't think LA is built for public transit. Really And again, you're not even planning to be here! It's just kind of silly to hear what you want or wouldn't want.

To say that you're not excited about the subway going to the Westside is the antithesis of caring about LA's progression. What is it about LA's heavy rail, and especially about reaching the Westside in the future, that's so horrible? I think LA is doing a good job expanding and integrating mass transit with the existing car culture. LA's transit system will only improve with time. That's exactly the kind of progression I'm rooting for.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 AM

416 posts, read 561,701 times
public transit simply is not a part of LA culture - not a respected part anyway. Public transit is looked down upon here. I mean this is a city where people would rather spend money on a BMW and Mercedes lease than put food on the table. Who is going to trade that for getting on a light rail. Other big cities with expansive and well patronized public transit tend to either have a historically strong relationship with it or the layout of the city is conducive to it. LA fits neither of those criteria. Light rail here will only make the city even more congested and awkward to get around. LA has a lot of positive attributes, urban planning is not one of them.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,638,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
LA needs a German-style S-Bahn system where you can go very quickly from A to B with few stops in between. Kinda like BART in the Bay Area. Then once you get from A to B (like from downtown to the Westside) you can use buses or light rail for shorter local trips from B to C.

Subways or light rail just sucks for a city the size of LA, if every local community organization insists on stops every half mile or quarter mile or whatever.
Agreed. Wouldnt be surprised if this happens. But if it still take 30-45 mins to get from the west side to DTLA on the metro when it only takes 10-15 with no traffic then man that will suck. All in all I'm excited about the new lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles