Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

I have more relatives coming to visiting Thursday and we're trying to plan out a beach town trip. They've only been to Cali once in the 80s and they mostly stayed in and around Redondo Beach. I've never been there but is it even worth taking them there for the nostalgia? Is it a nice area still?

It has to be worth the trip in my opinion so I was wondering out of Laguna, Santa Barbara, Manhattan, Ventura, etc. It has to be at least within a two hour drive no more and we're heading out on Friday morning.

I love Laguna and Santa Barbara so it's between those two the most. But if there is a better beach town you guys recommend lay it on me. No need to mention Venice or Santa Monica, we're visiting those the first day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
if your relatives love the vino take them up to Santa Barbara. Not only can you do all the stand-up paddleboarding, kiteboarding, surfing & paragliding to your hearts' content but some of Cali's best wineries open their doors to tasters, novice & experienced alike.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Sweet! I never even visited the wineries there. I hope they'll be open on Friday!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I have more relatives coming to visiting Thursday and we're trying to plan out a beach town trip. They've only been to Cali once in the 80s and they mostly stayed in and around Redondo Beach. I've never been there but is it even worth taking them there for the nostalgia? Is it a nice area still?

It has to be worth the trip in my opinion so I was wondering out of Laguna, Santa Barbara, Manhattan, Ventura, etc. It has to be at least within a two hour drive no more and we're heading out on Friday morning.

I love Laguna and Santa Barbara so it's between those two the most. But if there is a better beach town you guys recommend lay it on me. No need to mention Venice or Santa Monica, we're visiting those the first day.
From where are you heading to the beach? That will help me provide you with a recommendation.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 117,435 times
Laguna Beach or Santa Barbara are good calls if distance/time is not an issue.

Otherwise, a Santa Monica/Malibu trip, but be sure take them out past Pepperdine Univ as far as Point Dume or Zuma so they will see the most scenic parts of Malibu. Santa Monica for the urban walking experience and overlook at Palisades Park. Malibu for the scenic beauty.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Going north - Ventura is a nice little town. It's not Santa Barbara, but it's nice. Going south - Carlsbad.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
From where are you heading to the beach? That will help me provide you with a recommendation.
Valley Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubcentric

Otherwise, a Santa Monica/Malibu trip, but be sure take them out past Pepperdine Univ as far as Point Dume or Zuma so they will see the most scenic parts of Malibu. Santa Monica for the urban walking experience and overlook at Palisades Park. Malibu for the scenic beauty.
Is Malibu that gorgeous? I have never been past Duke's Malibu Restaurant. I've heard the area near Pepperdine is pretty but is it worth a trip?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM

596 posts, read 983,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbcentric View Post

^This. There is some great scenery along the PCH from Malibu to Pt. Mugu, and then on the 101 from west of Ventura to Santa Barbara. Laguna is a nice town, but the scenery you will encounter en route on the freeway < the scenery west of Santa Monica on the PCH.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM

596 posts, read 983,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Valley Village.

Is Malibu that gorgeous? I have never been past Duke's Malibu Restaurant. I've heard the area near Pepperdine is pretty but is it worth a trip?
There is a park on the bluffs located across the PCH from Pepperdine that has some great views. From that point west there are long stretches of the PCH on bluffs, so you will have sweeping views of the ocean and the hills/mountains (weather permitting). The main "town" part of Malibu is just east of Pepperdine where the PCH intersects Malibu Canyon, but it's not really as "touristy" as Laguna and some of the other towns.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 PM

193 posts, read 465,527 times
If you want somewhere not as far as laguna or SB with nice views Id recommend Abalone Cove in PV or El Matador in Malibu. I dont know if you wanted that relatively isolated beach with lots of natural beauty or somewhere with more of a "beach town" vibe that has definitely more people

Ive never been to SB though Ive always wanted to visit, but I do agree driving on PCH north of SM to Malibu is much more gorgeous than to Laguna, though Laguna is still nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles