Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,301,436 times

Advertisements

Unlike NYC, where the general population rides public transit. Most public transit riders in Los Angeles tend to more working class and below as the most Angelinos have this belief that ride public transit is for "poor people". And in some routes thru South(Central) LA, you have to deal with rude and unruly people. I took this video a few days ago of a woman who threatened a bus driver, and I'm guessing a tourist who got in a arguement with her.

Citizens Arrest attempt on Woman Threating Bus Driver on LA MTA 210 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,170 times
Looks more like fun!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
I've seen videos like that in every city, even NYC.

But yeah busses here tend to be a bit more 'Wild West' than others.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 PM

193 posts, read 465,639 times
I wouldnt call riding buses at night unsafe. Just dont be an idiot if you see a nutjob-- dont argue with one, and if possible just move away

Sure I have seen crazy people enough to say that its not necessarily rare, but usually the worst thing I encounter is a very smelly homeless person whose stench reeks up half the bus (not hating here, but doesnt mean I have to enjoy the smell)

Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,028,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
Sure I have seen crazy people enough to say that its not necessarily rare, but usually the worst thing I encounter is a very smelly homeless person whose stench reeks up half the bus (not hating here, but doesnt mean I have to enjoy the smell)
I understand that and I still ride the bus when I visit DTLA and I visit the L.A. Central Library from time to time and am not phased by the people in question.

A lot of these people need some help - the places that will help them are available - the question is will they avail themselves of the services.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,991,337 times
I couldn't really see what was going on, but it is a shame that people on the bus seemed to be egging her on in acting a fool. And how lame would someone have to be to try and arrest an old lady for something she said?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,991,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I understand that and I still ride the bus when I visit DTLA and I visit the L.A. Central Library from time to time and am not phased by the people in question.

A lot of these people need some help - the places that will help them are available - the question is will they avail themselves of the services.
I am "phased" by them when I'm stuck on a bus or train with them. LACMTA actually passed a rule/law in their code of conduct that would allow removal/ticketing of people who have an offensive odor, but I've heard that it's probably not enforceable because what constitutes "offensive" varies from person to person.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,309,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Unlike NYC, where the general population rides public transit. Most public transit riders in Los Angeles tend to more working class and below as the most Angelinos have this belief that ride public transit is for "poor people". And in some routes thru South(Central) LA, you have to deal with rude and unruly people. I took this video a few days ago of a woman who threatened a bus driver, and I'm guessing a tourist who got in a arguement with her.

Citizens Arrest attempt on Woman Threating Bus Driver on LA MTA 210 - YouTube
I have to correct you here, Most NYers only take the subway if they work in Manhatten or Downtown Brooklyn b/c the parking situation is attrocious in the daytime. The ones who work in the other 4 boros drive to work if they can
Re: nights, the only NYers who tend to take the subway are naive transplants, those who live in Manhatten below Harlem, and have a social circle in Manhatten, and those who simply cannot afford a car and act like they like to take the train.

The train at night is bad in all places east to west

Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 PM

215 posts, read 475,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I have to correct you here, Most NYers only take the subway if they work in Manhatten or Downtown Brooklyn b/c the parking situation is attrocious in the daytime. The ones who work in the other 4 boros drive to work if they can
Re: nights, the only NYers who tend to take the subway are naive transplants, those who live in Manhatten below Harlem, and have a social circle in Manhatten, and those who simply cannot afford a car and act like they like to take the train.

The train at night is bad in all places east to west
Bingo!

Every place I've been to, I've seen the same typical stuff happening on public transportation. I've seen it in London, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal, Paris, and even San Diego. Kids on the metro in Montreal can be just as rowdy, and guess what? they were white kids. The worst ofender when it comes to smell for me was in Paris of this homeless guy streetch across the seat sleeping. It was as if they guy never took a bath in his life, it was awful. I lived in Chicago for a while and took the train every day to work. After certain hours even on route I took which had more of your typical business class heading to the north side it because crazy and full of drunks at night. Some of the women colleagues wouldn't even take the train at all and go by express bus to our part of the city. Even the more exclusive Metra trains to the burbs has crazies on them at night. Don't go into the city on a Saturday to party and come home on the Metra thinking it will be all quite. Nope this aren't minorities either, but suburban guys and woman drunk and obnoxious.

Don't even get me started on what I've seen on NYC subways, and outside the city my friends I know living there never will take public transportation. They love their cars as much as any suburban dweller in Los Angeles. If you don't believe me? Try at random asking anyone in the NYC metro that lives in the suburbs and you be surprised how many will tell you they drive and even view the city very negative, ex: traffic, dirty, only go to the city occasional. Some will only take the train into the city just so they don't mess up their cars with all of the crazy drivers, and people. Believe me they are still your typical Americans and do not have a view much different from LA people.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM

193 posts, read 465,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

well of course that would never deter me from riding it, but my point was that a stench is not unsafe and just because a homeless dude is on the bus doesnt mean that chaos will ensue

but I definitely agree with your point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles