Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 83,298 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I've recently began looking into apartments in Downtown LA and have sort of hit a brick wall. I'm having trouble finding regular, run of the mill apartment listings. Do they not exist? I'm interested in the area South of 1st, East of Fig, North of the 10 and West of the tracks/Sant Fe. I know that's all downtown but I've been repetitively asked "what part of downtown?". And have been stubbornly told that areas like the Arts District and Little Tokyo are neighborhoods in their own. Then some people look at downtown as just like the jewelry district, etc. Everyone seems to have their own interpretation. So I just wanted to be clear.

Let me say that I have no interest in fancy lofts with glorious amenities like gyms and rooftop pools. I also have no interest in the dorm style revamped hotels like the Huntington and Alexandria. However, these are literally the only apartments that have come up in my searching so far. Be it craigslist or paid sites like west side rentals. All I'm looking for are regular studio/1br apartment in a building. I decided to come here for some advice before I dish out any more money.

I'm from NYC and just looking for a little bit of that here. Whenever I'm downtown I keep spotting buildings that I like and would seriously consider living in or certain streets, areas, etc... Someone, even though they weren't 100% sure, told me that an overwhelming majority of the buildings in DTLA are non-residential due to some sort of crack down by the city some years ago. Something about trying to curb developers. Is that true? Sounds a little ridiculous, but what do I know. I rarely even notice any rental signs on properties or even management info. Am I just still stuck in my NYC mentality that everything is an apartment?

Would really love a push in the right direction. And please, no posts questioning why I would want to live downtown or how it's not NYC. I'm really just asking some simple questions. I don't need a lecture. Thanks in advance!!

Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM

367 posts, read 674,130 times
Historic Core Apartments - Apartments for Rent in Historic Core, Los Angeles, CA

try that

Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM

21 posts, read 83,298 times
hjt123 - Thanks for the reply and link! I checked it out, but again, this is exactly the same wall I'm hitting on my own. It's all listings for amenity style living. I'm just looking for a regular ol' apartment building. No doorman, no workout room, no pool. Just a front door with a bunch of buzzers that leads you to narrow hallways inhabited by everyday folks.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM

367 posts, read 674,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhb View Post
hjt123 - Thanks for the reply and link! I checked it out, but again, this is exactly the same wall I'm hitting on my own. It's all listings for amenity style living. I'm just looking for a regular ol' apartment building. No doorman, no workout room, no pool. Just a front door with a bunch of buzzers that leads you to narrow hallways inhabited by everyday folks.
most of the places in downtown have been developed into glitzy lofts or are still flops

if you want the next most urban experience you should check out ktown, it's pretty dense and has normal apartments

decent public transit to downtown near wilshire as well

what's your budget, anyway?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM

223 posts, read 524,494 times
When we were looking to move to DTLA about 2 years ago I was searching just about everything online. It was a pain to find websites that showed multiple listings. We then decided to drive down there and walk around. I was shocked at how many places just ignored us when we asked in person to see the available units.

I don't remember how we ended up finding the loft we moved into, but I also remembering reading a lot of reviews wherever I could when I started to learn the names of all the buildings. I couldn't believe what I was reading, like killings in the parking lots. I think your best bet is to fly out here and go in person to see the area you want to be in.

BTW most of the new construction were meant to be condos (buy not rent). During the current depression a lot of these buildings went into lottery picks to buy the units. It seems if the building didn't sell the right %, then they converted into apartments (rent not buy). Add all of that to people renting out the condos too. Or major buildings just sitting vacant appearing to have people living in them.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM

171 posts, read 531,138 times
You could give this site a try

downtownla.com : Downtown LA Home Selector

Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,640,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhb View Post
No that does not exist.

Can I ask why you don't want those amenities?

There's no way to really cut down the price that lofts in DTLA cost except to go to the Promenade towers at Fig/2nd, and that building has issues that IMO make it unpleasant to live in.

But the rest of the buildings are purposely structure to have doormen and amenities. All of them.

The Gas Company Lofts have a rear entrance so you could use that and never see the concierge, but TBH, he is the best asset in living there. They do not have a gym but a membership to Golds down the street is included with your rent. But none of that saves you any money. Rents are still $1500-1600 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles