Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,572 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of living in Diamond Bar and communte to DTLA at 11am Monday to Friday. What are some drive times I should expect? Is the METRO or METROLINK a possibility for me. I am picking this area because of the Diamond Point Elementary school. I am moving from Atlanta.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
The 60 would be well cleared up by 11am. I would allow 1.5 hours, but typically that will be an 50+ish minute drive, depending on where in DT you're going.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
As a commuter of the 60, you'll be fine at 11am. Usually after 9am, it's moving pretty well already. The slowest parts of the 60 is going through Hacienda Heights (Azusa to 7th Ave.) and the Diamond Bar crunch (between the 57 freeways merge and interchanges). Still, I would allow an hour for commuting, as you will still hit some traffic once you get towards Downtown.

For perspectives, I leave my house at around 6:30 in the morning, and it takes me about an hour to get from Phillips Ranch (just on the other side of the hill of Diamond Bar) to Whittier (just 2 exits south of the 60/605).

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM

362 posts, read 817,736 times
What time will you be returning home? -- the 60E can be a major cluster-u-know-what during the evening hours...

Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 PM

191 posts, read 586,401 times
You should know Diamond Point Elementary is in the Pomona Unified School District.

I'm sure it's a fine school, but all bets are off once your kids get to Middle and High school.

You'd be best off staying in the Walnut Unified School District.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
hopefully it won't be an issue, but you should probably know that this particular area of LA county has a very concentration of asians. the schools tend to be very good, but there isn't a whole lot of diversity outside of whites and asians.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,572 times
Thanks for all the replies. As far as the communte goes my hours are 11am -8pm, so I am hoping that at 8pm there won't be a lot of traffic coming home. Diamond Bar seems to be a good area with great schools. For now we are only concerned with elementary schools for the kids. We've also looked in Chino Hills too. Any recommendations around that area?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
odd hours - mind if i ask what industry?

Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM

191 posts, read 586,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pehrsonc View Post
Thanks for all the replies. As far as the communte goes my hours are 11am -8pm, so I am hoping that at 8pm there won't be a lot of traffic coming home. Diamond Bar seems to be a good area with great schools. For now we are only concerned with elementary schools for the kids. We've also looked in Chino Hills too. Any recommendations around that area?
Born and raised in Diamond Bar and have family still there. You'll want to be on the south end of town; the north end feeds Pomona schools. I appreciate only being concerned about elementary but it only goes to 5th grade -- and time flies. Once you start down the path, kids want to stay with their friends.

Also lived in Chino Hills. Great schools, great town. It's a bit misunderstood by other SoCal residents as the adjacent city, Chino, has a less-than-stellar reputation primarily informed by the well-known men's prison. Even though Hills is a totally separate city, all folks hear is "Chino" and they lose/don't care about the "Hills." Just giving you a heads up that you'll hear some differing things and need to be aware it is more than a nuance.

In that area, I'd suggest Country Springs Elementary. There is a great little community of homes that feeds Country Springs off Grand and Chino Hills Pkwy - built in the early 90's, very nice, also has English Springs Park where many wedding parties take pictures (man made lake, weeping willow trees, etc). I'd also suggest steering clear of the Butterfield Ranch area of Chino Hills, which is newer but further away from your commute to DTLA.

Between the two cities, Chino Hills offers a ton more shopping, dining and recreational opportunity. Many Diamond Bar residents trek to Chino Hills to partake.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
You should know Diamond Point Elementary is in the Pomona Unified School District.

I'm sure it's a fine school, but all bets are off once your kids get to Middle and High school.

You'd be best off staying in the Walnut Unified School District.
Are you still stuck in the 80's? Just because it's Pomona Unified it's automatically bad?

FYI, 3 years of API scores are:
Lorbeer Middle School - 9, 9, and 9
Diamond Ranch High - 9, 9, and 9

Those are not awful scores at all. So just because it's PUSD, it doesn't mean the kids will be going to a bad school down the line.

Years back, however, yeah - there were two good reasons why north DB was worth considerably less than south DB - Ganesha High (API 2) and Garey High (API 1). That all changed with Diamond Ranch High, completed in 1997.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
hopefully it won't be an issue, but you should probably know that this particular area of LA county has a very concentration of asians. the schools tend to be very good, but there isn't a whole lot of diversity outside of whites and asians.
Yeah, you're not going to find much racial diversity in Diamond Bar. Yet another reason why I bought in Phillips Ranch instead - much more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles