Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,426 times

Advertisements

In about 5 months I'll be moving to Los Angeles to do grad school at UCLA. It's a 2 years Masters program, fully funded (tuition and fees, plus a $17k stipend). I am moving from Arkansas. Yes, that's right, Arkansas. I live in a quiet, but vibrant college-hippie town with a low cost of living and a relaxing way of life. I know that I'm in for a shock.

I am 30, single, no real financial resources (about $3k in savings) and I will have my dog with me. He's a 60 lb. Catahoula Cur, incredibly intelligent, well-behaved, and trained, and friendly. Great indoors dog.

Aside from just generally being scared out of my mind at the prospect of moving from the Midwest/South (where I've been all my life), I'm greatly concerned about finding a reasonably affordable place to live with my dog in tow. As of right now, my only source of finances while I'm there will be the $17,000/yr stipend. I can always borrow a little extra via loans, but I'm carrying significant undergraduate debt and trying to minimize that.

For UCLA students: What are areas and neighborhoods I should be looking at to live? I will have a car, but is there any sort of public transit system that I might benefit from? What is the feasibility of finding an affordable place to live WITH my dog? Will I have to give up on the idea of finding an apartment for myself and think about subletting a room? I just have no real idea.

So my primary concern right now is a place to live. I'm worried I won't find a place I can afford in any proximity to UCLA that will also allow for me to be with my dog. I just got out of a 6.5 year relationship, so my dog is really my only "partner" in life at the moment.

Any advice, suggestions, warnings, inspirations for a single guy coming to UCLA for grad school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Having a dog is going to make things way harder, though I'm not sure how many places accept them close to UCLA. But congratulations and good luck, it sounds like you'll love Westwood and LA in general.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 PM

242 posts, read 499,586 times
hi there. i am moving to los angeles myself in about 5 months from the east coast.
while i have been looking on craig's list for apartments in the sfv for myself i did come across a lot of apartments that do allow dogs. i do not know where you will be moving to in the la area though. but try craig's list and look for yourself.
good luck with your move and school.
p.s. i love dogs. i used to have a black lab, i rescued him in florida and brought him up here with me. he passed a year ago. i would have loved to have been able to get another dog but with school and work it was not a good idea. and with my moving to los angeles i did not want to get a dog because i do not know how often i will be home, with working and later on school .

Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 15,426 times
Yeah, I realize having a dog will make things significantly more difficult for me. Giving him up is really not an option. I'd probably give up this dream offer before that, so I'm really, really, really hoping I can work something out.

GypsyLady13, I think I'll be looking to live in or around the Westwood area by UCLA. Have you secured housing already, or are you still in the process of finding a place? What area(s) are you looking at?

I'm really hoping to find a way to make this work!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 PM

i have no idea where the westwood area is. i have been looking in van nuys area, south van nuys like around the burbank blvd area close to sherman oaks or even sherman oaks area. and then there were some nice places west of there in a place called encino. studios were running approximately 750-1000 in those areas. there were some nice large studios for 850, even some 1/1 for 850. but since i will not be bringing any furniture and don't plan on buying any furniture when i first get out there a studio is fine for me. i don't need a lot of space and i probably won't be there that much anyway.
i think i am going to just go to la and look in the neighborhood that i like and see what i find. i have even used google map earth to pretend to drive through the streets. i love that, although the pictures are about 2 years old, it still gives you a feel for the area. kind of. lol.
i understand about your dog. my last dog named bishop, i would have never given him up for anything. and if he was still alive and i was moving then he would be moving with me too because there is no other option when your dog is your family. <3
can you contact the college you will be doing your graduate studies and perhaps they will be able to help you out with finding a place or a roommate. do they have a website for students?
i have my own thread here... check it out. it's on the first page of this forum since it's a new thread.
i will keep you informed if i find out anything.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Westwood is where UCLA is, it's a great area. But pricey in terms of rent.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 PM

yes, i just went and looked and i saw that it's by beverly hills and brentwood. expensive, at least too expensive for me.
here is a link to craig's list for the san fernando valley. i guess if you get a car you might be alright driving the 15 miles but if no car, it might be tough. i also had read about people saying do not live in san pedro area, they said it was high crime and gangs.
craig's list link is here. i know people have also told me that van nuys isn't the best area. i have a close friend that grew up in van nuys and is living in van nuys at his family home. northern van nuys he says is not good, panama city is no good, reseda is no good. sherman oaks is good area and it is a bit north of your school. check it.
san fernando valley apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-29-2013, 11:07 PM

this link is craig's list for sfv and allow dogs.
los angeles apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
i would highly suggest against living in the valley unless your budget is that tight. a nearby area to UCLA with reasonable rents is Palms. palms also has a few bus lines that go to ucla so you won't have to worry about parking.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 PM

@brinsm why would you suggest him to not live in the valley? do you think the valley is that bad? or do you think it is too far for him to travel to the college?
i am curious about this because i am moving to los angeles and i am planning on moving the the south part of van nuys, sherman oaks area.
please give me your opinion. thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles