Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times

Advertisements

There are, believe it or not, some very dedicated teachers in LAUSD. Ever hear of Rafe Esquith, who teaches in a LAUSD elementary school around Koreatown? He's gotten some pretty good results with a largely, low/moderate income, ethnic minority student population over the years.

That said, I wonder if the decentralized and sprawling nature of LAUSD hurts it - doesn't seem as responsive and more bureaucratic. Maybe breaking it up into different regions would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
Yeah I agree about breaking it up into other regions. I don't doubt there are a lot of very dedicated teachers in LAUSD. Both my grandparents were teachers in LAUSD. It is the SYSTEM/Bureaucracy that gets in the way.

Everyone seems to recognize this as obvious and that massive change needs to take place, but we are still in the same situation...the status quo.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,095 times
The simple truth is that we can't turn back the clock and have the educational quality & performance we saw in LAUSD in the '50 through the '80s. The demographic composition of the metro's student population has changed drastically with immigration, coupled with decreased funding post-Prop 13. This is the unfortunate reality of our situation and there's no easy way to increase graduation rates until new immigrants acculturate and the majority of kids come from English-speaking families. I read a book "How Children Succeed" earlier in the year detailing interesting experiments some charter schools were doing in trying to mold student behavior & study habits, giving children the tools to become self-motivated & self-starters, but it's hard to say if they can be applied on a district-wide basis.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM

374 posts, read 722,238 times
Teacher unions and them wanting to retire at 50 with pensions and free healthcare.

Even if you get arrested for masturbating into blindfolded students mouths, you keep your pension.

Nice.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,210,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Teacher unions and them wanting to retire at 50 with pensions and free healthcare.

Even if you get arrested for masturbating into blindfolded students mouths, you keep your pension.

Nice.
bukaki reference on CD, now i've seen it all.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
We be keepin' it classy up in here.

I always thought it was
Bukkake though.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM

215 posts, read 475,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We are NYC teachers hoping to transfer to LAUSD schools. We hear the same rhetoric here in NYC. The fact is that public schools are REQUIRED BY LAW to service ALL students. Private and charter schools handpick their students.
BINGO! MY wife teaches high school English in the LAUSD, (well she was laid off almost two years ago but sub sometimes). This is exactly what she says to me explaining some of the issues. I also heard from other teachers in the district say the same thing. Not only does ESL bring down the scores, but so does special needs students in which charter schools usually don't accept.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,895,445 times
I think the public system is absolutely hideous and should be broken up.

-ESL or not, there is a conveyor belt, factory mentality. Put everyone in a class, 30-35-40, and kind of rinse, wash, repeat.

For example, math is a huge sticking point for many kids. If you're failing or getting a D, why would you repeat the class doing the same thing, learning the same way?? It's terrible that you can go through school thinking you're poor in a subject, and never be exposed to a different way of learning, different method.

I don't think the system cares very much about how kids think about themselves. Not enough money in the budget for that (sarcasm). You see the results of this later.....i.e. remedial classes in college, or drop out. Or just not very confident in a subject.

-Why is everyone put in the same class? What a handicap for middle or upper middle class white or black kids (or asian or latino).

It handicaps everyone. Middle class kids don't the challenge they should. ESL kids don't get the dedicated attention to really bring them up. Aiming for the middle produces the results you see.....i.e. a 25 or 30% drop out rate.

-I think its kind of funny (strange), the results of the system are so poor....what would it take to really see change? How bad would it have to be?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM

374 posts, read 722,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
bukaki reference on CD, now i've seen it all.
Accused teacher blindfolded kids for

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,875,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post

Nice.
That's why the school system is broken in Los Angeles? The teachers are overpaid and coddled?

Now I've heard it all.

I don't think everyone with the Tea Party mentality is stupid - just the vast, vast majority of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles