Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,613,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The area needs an NFL team, but no one but the billionaire owner ought to pay a dime for the stadium. No bonds, no sweetheart land or tax deals, it is just another business.
why is it that L.A. flat-out, stubbornly refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums, but other cities, regions, areas have no problem with that? it's like an entitlement mentality L.A. has
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,989,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
why is it that L.A. flat-out, stubbornly refuses to use public-funds, taxpayer dollars to help build stadiums, but other cities, regions, areas have no problem with that? it's like an entitlement mentality L.A. has
Why do other cities bend over for the NFL and waste/spend taxpayer dollars to build large white elephant stadiums which host something like 8 homes games per year?

As a taxpayer living in the city of LA, I applaud its politicans (whom I don't always agree with) for NOT coughing up public money to the NFL.

Even in good times that would be a waste of public money but in bad times it is even more so.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,613,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Why do other cities bend over for the NFL and waste/spend taxpayer dollars to build large white elephant stadiums which host something like 8 homes games per year?

As a taxpayer living in the city of LA, I applaud its politicans (whom I don't always agree with) for NOT coughing up public money to the NFL.

Even in good times that would be a waste of public money but in bad times it is even more so.
it's not a waste of public money to other cities, but it is to L.A., understandable that in bad times L.A. should not bend over, but in good times, i don't get it

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,012,478 times
don't really get the entitlement thing... we haven't had a football team since 1994. If we were entitled, we would have had a football team years ago. We are just smart. We do not have to cough up money cause eventually somebody (probably Stan Kronke) will build a stadium with his own money. Any body else think its ironic that a mostly progressive city would have the position of not spending tax payer funds to build a stadium? Well...Dems dont like taxes either, its just how you spend it.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
it's not a waste of public money to other cities, but it is to L.A., understandable that in bad times L.A. should not bend over, but in good times, i don't get it
Here is where we disagree. Yes, it is a WASTE of public money to the other cities.

There is no good reason to take public money and build a football stadium which supports jobs for a handful of millionaires (the players) and a bunch of minimum wage concession jobs. A complete and utter waste of public money. No thanks.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM

203 posts, read 579,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Here is where we disagree. Yes, it is a WASTE of public money to the other cities.

There is no good reason to take public money and build a football stadium which supports jobs for a handful of millionaires (the players) and a bunch of minimum wage concession jobs. A complete and utter waste of public money. No thanks.
There are a LOT more than just those folks who get paid. The development side alone provides a whole lot of jobs at different levels, from the construction workers, to their managers, to those who design it all and make decisions, and it's a whole lot more I probably have no idea about.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,164,080 times
Do what we did in The City. Find some hamlet in the 'burbs hungry for the perceived spotlight of hosting 8 events per year and trick them into paying for it. while you're at it, milk the state to upgrade the rail system so it's easier to get there by train.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
There are a LOT more than just those folks who get paid. The development side alone provides a whole lot of jobs at different levels, from the construction workers, to their managers, to those who design it all and make decisions, and it's a whole lot more I probably have no idea about.
That is all true but those are all temporary jobs. Once the stadium is complete those development jobs are gone. Should we fund football stadiums just to put real estate developers and architects to work?

I have no problem funding infrastructure projects to put construction workers to work on roads, bridges, rail, parks, schools, etc. Not on a white elephant football stadium with dubious public benefit.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM

78 posts, read 266,850 times
Well all I can remember when I think of the NFL in LA is the Raiders... and in those days it was dangerous... just like the Dodgers now... fights... and a bunch of gang members wearing Raiders in the manner they wear Dodgers now... I remember fights in the stands and in the parking lot... LA has a habit of making something good into something bad.. Even my beloved Trojans have fallen victim to this.
Oddly though, at the USC game you see mostly students, Alumni and upper middle class people... not the lower echelon of our society.. glad to say...

I would LOVE to see USC play a lower ranking NFL team... I think they could win... in fact I happen to know that Lincoln High School on N. Broadway used to play USC back in the 1920's and WIN!!! Yes a HS team beating our Trojans... so yes our Trojans could beat the Raiders or the Cowboys... Lightning does strike! LOL!!

That would be more fun for me at least

Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,165,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
USC football is all there is to say. AP places USC at the #1 spot for this season. Oh yea, Matt Barkley has plans to get that National Title for the Trojans capping off an interesting 4 years at SC.

I wouldn't mind an LA team, so don't get me wrong there, it is just that the Trojans have such a following here in the LA area. Even in Oxnard and Ventura we have a strong following of USC fans. (Yes we also have fans of the Bruins, even in the Oxnard Ventura area, which kind of enforces the point of why the NFL just has an uphill battle to gain a following for a local team.) Saying that, I did notice when the Cowboys were in town (Oxnard training camp) that the parking lot was full and many walked a few miles from other parts just to take part in the fun of training camp. Still, it is hard to compete with a team like USC.

I hope this spurs some fun banter with any of you UCLA fans. On a side note:

We had a Doctor that parked in a no parking zone yesterday, in a spot that is used by ambulance drivers so that they can safely back up. The Doctor is a UCLA Alum and had a UCLA sticker on his BMW along with a UCLA License plate frame. I left a note on his window because he parked in the no parking zone.

Here is what I put in the note:

"I hear that at USC in order to graduate you need to be able to read. I bet that a USC grad would be able to read a sign that says no parking."
The Trojans have a following up until they aren't doing well and all of the "fans" jump off of the bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles