Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,036 times

Advertisements

I suggest visiting crimemapping.com and taking a look at the data for the L.A.P.D. and L.A.S.D. Quite valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I don't go to the lower income areas cause there's no need for me to; I don't know anyone there and there is nothing there of interest to me. I've never set foot in South Central, don't care for East L.A or SGV either.

Everything I need or care to be at is in West Hollywood, Bev Hills, Century City, Sherman Oaks and Studio City and I feel perfectly safe there. I only stay in the upscale areas because there is nothing of interest to me in the lower income areas and no need for me to go there.
I would suggest you get out of your bubble once in a while and see what the other half of the city/region has to offer.

1. The Watts Towers is a mind boggling piece of folk art. I've seen European toursits there to check them out.

2. El Tepeyac: in Boyle Heights for the best burrito in LA County.

Go during the daytime and you'll not encounter any problems.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Not since OJ left town.
Oh come on -- the glove didn't fit, therefore he's innocent.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I would suggest you get out of your bubble once in a while and see what the other half of the city/region has to offer.

1. The Watts Towers is a mind boggling piece of folk art. I've seen European toursits there to check them out.

2. El Tepeyac: in Boyle Heights for the best burrito in LA County.

Go during the daytime and you'll not encounter any problems.
Even though it may be safe, I simply have no interest in those areas. I like places like The Grove, Westfield Century City, Sherman Oaks Galleria. I prefer upscale areas because that's just my taste; that's me and who I am. I understand that Watts Towers is a landmark (I saw pics of it online and don't care to see it in person), however I don't enjoy sight seeing. It's just not my thing. I am not into it... it's just not my style. Even though it may be 100 percent safe, I still have no interest. I like upscale places, I like shopping. can't help what I like. I'd rather do something that interests me.

Why spend my time doing something I don't care for when I could be doing something I enjoy? Sight seeing and exploring depressed areas is not my idea of a good time. Sorry. I'm not feeling it.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
You're missing out on El Tepeyac's Hollenbeck burrito!
Man vs Food was there a couple years ago.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM

68 posts, read 165,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Even though it may be safe, I simply have no interest in those areas. I like places like The Grove, Westfield Century City, Sherman Oaks Galleria. I prefer upscale areas because that's just my taste; that's me and who I am. I understand that Watts Towers is a landmark (I saw pics of it online and don't care to see it in person), however I don't enjoy sight seeing. It's just not my thing. I am not into it... it's just not my style. Even though it may be 100 percent safe, I still have no interest. I like upscale places, I like shopping. can't help what I like. I'd rather do something that interests me.

Why spend my time doing something I don't care for when I could be doing something I enjoy? Sight seeing and exploring depressed areas is not my idea of a good time. Sorry. I'm not feeling it.
You sound incredibly ignorant. How does one have no interest in something they've never seen. I don't think I'm that interested in Glaciers but if one was a 20 minute drive away I think I would at least check it out before I committed myself to an opinion.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lexo View Post
You sound incredibly ignorant. How does one have no interest in something they've never seen. I don't think I'm that interested in Glaciers but if one was a 20 minute drive away I think I would at least check it out before I committed myself to an opinion.
And a sadly stereotypical product of Orange County.

I'll pack her a lunch if you drive her to the airport.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 61,880 times
Yes. I've been here 7.5 years and it is awesome. The key is selecting the right areas. I have lived in Valencia, about 30 miles NW of downtown LA, if you can call it that - beautiful area - if u have kids - great schools, we didn't have kids, but really awesome area.

I lived also and currently do so in the "Valley" San Fernando - each "city" has good and bad parts, albeit the best places are Studio City (I lived there too - all of it is nice), Valley Glen - solid, some crummy parts, Valley Village - good place, Encino - very good place, Tarzana - a mixed bag, Woodland Hills - i live there now - new apts, really very hip ones, it used to stink in WH although it is seriously picking up
Canoga Park- crap, Chatsworth - mixed bag, Van Nuys - disgusting

For LA itself - the downtown area has lots of cool lofts, but not a great place to chill at night, Hollywood - mixed bag, the are overhauling it so it is getting better, but still some real scummy areas, Hollywood Hills - sweet, of course Beverly Hills - great, Larchmont Village - very nice, Hancock park - off of Vine - very nice, there is another Hancock Park which is narley. Avoid South of LA, except say Huntington Beach, Redondo Beach, Manahattan Beach - i.e. the South bay is good overall - again some good and bad

West LA for the most part is very good, Santa Monica - very good albeit there are some sketchy parts, Malibu - great, Ventura - mixed bag, for the most part nice, Calabasas - great place - the latter two places are West of the Valley

Traffic u get used to it -- depends on where you live..

Do not live in the OC - orange county unless you are working there - the commute into LA will kill you.

If you have any questions.. feel free to contact me.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangti67 View Post
Hancock park - off of Vine - very nice, there is another Hancock Park which is narley.
Highland Park? I don't think there's another Hancock Park.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lexo View Post
I admit I am not a "deep" person and not very into "culture" (I guess I'm not cultured). Things like going to museums, historic sites and seeing landmarks/buildings don't interest me.

Things that do are shopping, clothes, fashion, makeup, celebs etc. I like things that are upscale but "Hollywood'ish". I am a lot of more interested in The Beverly Center or The Grove than a random tower because I like to SHOP. Yes; I am materialistic. I don't enjoy looking at landmarks unless they are celebrities

Glaciers wouldn't do much for me either.

You don't have to experience something to know you don't care for it. I'm not a "nature" person. I've never been camping either and I know I would HATE it. Why? Because I'm high maintenance and hate the outdoors and don't like to be "casual" (prefer to dress up). You don't need to experience something to know you don't like it. I know my personality and my likes and dislikes. Roughing it outdoors in nature = don't like. Staring at tower = don't like. Lower income areas : don't like.

Last edited by jackie100; 02-03-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles