Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

I don't live in LA, but it might have something to do with the prison gang culture in California. Surenos, largely from Southern California, consider black gangs their enemy, and ally with the Aryan Brotherhood, while their rivals from Northern California (Nortenos) ally with the Bloods, Crips, etc. Mexican and Central American immigrants also tend to be pretty racist against blacks in general, from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 09:50 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't live in LA, but it might have something to do with the prison gang culture in California. Surenos, largely from Southern California, consider black gangs their enemy, and ally with the Aryan Brotherhood, while their rivals from Northern California (Nortenos) ally with the Bloods, Crips, etc. Mexican and Central American immigrants also tend to be pretty racist against blacks in general, from my experience.
I was in Job Corps once...and new lot's of Surenoes...they were so cool, at least in that setting, they never displayed any 'racism'...But maybe because they were in an enviornment where 'whites' were the majority...and recognized their 'minority' status...

Seems like where blacks and hispanics are the racial minority, they unite, or get along, but where they are the majority, they fight and compete...

I got along with everyone, regardless of their gang affiliation...I guess cause they just looked at me as a 'geek'...and therefore not a threat to whatever it is they were into...

Even had a bunch of Sureneos gang pile me once, but in a playful way...(can you believe that), and that's cause I was leaving...that school or program...and that was their way of saying good-by...

It was totally harmless fun...I miss those guys, i miss them for the induvisuals I got to know them for....

I just hope they all realize when they grow up, there going to have to put aside their differences and learn to get along...
i mean you can't be gang fighting into your 50's...

Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
Has it changed from it's gang infested haydays of the 80s and early 90s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrQtOoQRpc

Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Mexican Mafia (La Eme) allies with the Aryan Brotherhood, but the majority of Surenos are not Mafia members. However, Surenos or Southsiders ("eses") also do clique up with whites in jails ("woods") to fight blacks ("tintos").

There is a difference between "pen politics" and street relations, though. Just using South Los Angeles as an example, black-Latino gang relations are variable. They can be violent, such as the relationship between Florencia and the East Coast Crips, or peaceful such as the relationship between the crips and eses from Grape Street.

Most of the gang killings that occur are still intra-ethnic, and the hatred that some Surenos may have for blacks still isn't as strong as the hatred that they have for their fellow Latinos that are Nortenos ("enes," referred to as "chapetes" or "busters").

Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 AM

One thing I could never understand about the 'Aryon B-hood'....is that within the prison walls their influence seems to be pretty substantual, but once out and about in society...where do they go?

There operating style seems to be different than Hispanic and Black or Asian gangters...

Do A-Brotherhoods even consider themselves a gang? or more of a 'operation' or 'order' or even 'society'...

But once out of prison, they don't seem to cluster together on street corners, like your average H, and B gangs do...

You never hear of them claiming street territories...no one ever fears the 'west side skin heads'...

It's like when they get out of prison, they just vanish...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
One thing I could never understand about the 'Aryon B-hood'....is that within the prison walls their influence seems to be pretty substantual, but once out and about in society...where do they go?

There operating style seems to be different than Hispanic and Black or Asian gangters...

Do A-Brotherhoods even consider themselves a gang? or more of a 'operation' or 'order' or even 'society'...

But once out of prison, they don't seem to cluster together on street corners, like your average H, and B gangs do...

You never hear of them claiming street territories...no one ever fears the 'west side skin heads'...

It's like when they get out of prison, they just vanish...
The AB is a very real organization that deals in very real drug trafficing (among other illegal activities) and very real murder outside of prison. Hispanic and black gangs are all about street cred and gaining OG status. The AB does not give a sh*t about a particular street, block, or corner. For them it is simply about Taking Care of Business. And that can be anywhere it needs to be. The AB formed as a response to prison desegregation and black prison members forming the Black Guerilla Family. So the AB pretty much aligns with anyone who is against the BGF. They have also been known to partner with Asian gangs to import heroin.

On the other hand, they are a prison gang; they started in prison. Outside of a few bikers, they had no "out-side" world ties to gang activities prior to their existence.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,106 times
I lived in compton my whole life and it is alot better than its heyday. chiller place!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslumplump View Post
I lived in compton my whole life and it is alot better than its heyday. chiller place!
Well rather than just stopping there...cause that doesn't tell us much...how about stating some reasons why you think it's changed...

1. Better policing?

2. All the Original 90's og's are locked up or deceased?

3. Better economic conditions?

4. More churches?

5. More Hispanics moving in?

6. Everyone just matured?

7. More high school students going to college and taking education more seriously?

I mean why have things gotta 'better' or 'safer' there in your opinion?

8. LAPD gang squad rounding up suspected members and locking them up?

9. Vacant homes being boarded up?

10. Less incentive to be in a gang or cause trouble?

What are some reasons you think it's gotten better?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,777 times
The LASD has jurisdiction over Compton, not the LAPD.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
1. I highly doubt if the LASD has had any effect - if anything - them being in the equation makes things more dangerous -but the other 9 items listed above could counteract their presence.

3. Compton always had had it's status as a working class "suburb" going for it - and this did not just mean "a bedroom city". There is at least one major shopping center, a few big box stores, and some distribution centers in the city - plus the industrial activity that Compton has always had. People who have jobs have less time to gangbang.

4. I think churches always have a calming effect - can't say for sure if there are more churches - or people who practice their faith than before - but it is a strong possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles