Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times

Advertisements

Hi all you californians!

I am looking to move to the Los Angeles area and was curious about jobs in the hotel/travel industry. I am currently working at a hotel and can transfer but I was wondering how the travel industry is doing in the economy there. I am also wondering about the ease of registering my vehicle and getting a new drivers license, from what I've read there are appointments required. How about auto insurance? Is it crazy high? I have a spotless driving record and a ten year old SUV I'll be bringing with me.

I am a single 45 year old female and unencumbered with children or pets so I am looking into a roommate situation to start.

I have lived in GA for a better part of my life but I am very tired of the extremely hot, humid weather. I understand that California is expensive, especially Southern California, so I am prepared for sticker shock.

I look forward to your kind responses; thanks in advance!

If ya'll can help me out with some suggestions to ease the move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,338,405 times
The biggest difference in cost of living will be housing. Just make sure you can afford that. Utilities should be lower. Food is the same or lower, depending on where you shop.

Registering your vehicle and getting your license are both done at the DMV. Appointments are recommended, but not required (unless there has been a recent change). DMV lines can be very long and slow, but the process is not complicated or difficult.

I've never lived in Georgia so can't compare the insurance rates, but I don't think we paid any more in California than we do in NC. You can contact an insurance company in California (or AAA, if you're a member) to get a better idea how much it would cost.

Live as close to work as possible. Driving takes longer than you would figure by looking at a map. If you want to say what area your job will be in, people on this forum might be able to give suggestions of good areas to live.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 19,510 times
Jmm,

I grew p in LA and lived in Atlanta 5 years. I think you will like LA. I feel it is a lot less pretentious than Atlanta with a lot more to offer culturally, socially, recreationally, etc. That said, the best advice i can offer is live close to work. Commuting 20 miles in rush hour on freeway can take 2 hours. If you can avoid rush hour travl, big plus.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 PM

40 posts, read 148,166 times
You seem to have gotten some very good responses to your questions. I don't know if I have that much to add. But as far as car insurance, it'll depend on what kind you want to get. Some people pay for just the minimum coverage (required by law) and others want full coverage. But since you have an older vehicle (like me) you might not want to bother with full coverage right now. I moved here from Detroit and one thing I love is not having to buy all that winter stuff (boots, coats etc). Rent will probably be your biggest expense (as someone else pointed out). And I 'second' the suggestion that you live close as you can to work. I used to drive 1-1/2 hrs every day (one way) for my job. That was a horrible experience and time consuming. Please be sure to let me know when you are coming because I'm semi-retired now and would love to meet you in person!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
Have you considered Riverside? A lot more house and land for the money! I work in LA County, my wife works in Orange County, however, we moved to the southwest corner of Riverside in February 2009 (instead of OC) from out of state and we LOVE IT! Less than an hour to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear, less than an hour to Newport, Huntington Beach, less than an hour to Temecula Wine Country.... Mountain views, great hiking trails everywhere... Riverside rocks! Some new construction developments, such as the one we bought in, were developed after the bust, therefore, no foreclosures or bank-owned homes in our development, our home values have actually grown! Moderator cut: Advertising

Last edited by bhcompy; 09-26-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles