Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,587,717 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are flying to Los Angeles for a three day weekend over Labor Day and wanted to get some ideas from the locals on what things to see/do in the area. We'll be staying in Redondo Beach from Sat.-Tues. and would like to visit various beaches in the area such as Malibu and Newport beach. We'd like to drive up the PCH as well and go through Hollywood/downtown LA and Pasadena. We both enjoy the outdoors and even though we're only there for a few days, I think we can see quite a bit.
Any recommendations from you guys would be helpful, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,857,130 times
If the weather is warm, the beaches will be packed Labor Day weekend! I'd try not to do too much over a three night span here. You'll wind up exhausted and annoyed at having to drive around everywhere and fight traffic in such a limited time frame. Definitely dedicate a day to the beaches around where you are staying. From Manhattan Beach down to Redondo (all connected by BCT busses), you'll have more than enough quality beach to satisfy yourself and you won't have to drive! I'd skip heading down to Orange County this trip, and replace Malibu with a drive down to Palos Verdes Peninsula (right next to Redondo Beach and just as impressive as Malibu). Downtown is larger than you may think, and if you want to explore it on foot you will need at least one whole day. The area east of Hill St will be much livelier than the area west of Hill St on a weekend. I'd consider skipping Pasadena this trip and do a Griffith Park/Hollywood day. Since you are outdoorsy types, you should do the hike up Griffith Park to the Griffith Park Observatory (if it isn't too hot out).

Palos Verdes Drive -
Take Pacific Coast Highway south to Hawthorne
Take Hawthorne south to Palos Verdes Drive West (the southwest tip of the peninsula)
Drive past Palos Verdes Drive West and take a left on Calle Viento
Take a right on Pacifica del Mar
Park on the side of Pacifica del Mar and walk down to the path at the end of the street
Take a left as the path dead ends
Follow the path to the whale watching station and lighthouse lookout
Afterwards, drive back up to Palos Verdes Drive and take a left
Follow Palos Verdes Drive to Palos Verdes Blvd and bear left
Take a left on Pacific Coast Highway and your back in Redondo Beach!

Last edited by LASam; 08-04-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,106,552 times
^^^^

cool info, thx! ive been living out here since march and still havent been there but have always been curious.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
My wife and I are flying to Los Angeles for a three day weekend over Labor Day and wanted to get some ideas from the locals on what things to see/do in the area. We'll be staying in Redondo Beach from Sat.-Tues. and would like to visit various beaches in the area such as Malibu and Newport beach. We'd like to drive up the PCH as well and go through Hollywood/downtown LA and Pasadena. We both enjoy the outdoors and even though we're only there for a few days, I think we can see quite a bit.
Any recommendations from you guys would be helpful, thanks!

Things to do in los angeles

Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Wow, great information! Thanks alot for everything. LASam, this will help out quite a bit for us. I might have more questions soon.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM

276 posts, read 1,020,109 times
If you do the Palos Verdes drive stop off at the Terranea Resort for a cocktail or lunch. The views are spactacular, and great for photos!

Southern California Romantic Getaway Packages | Terranea Resort - Romance Offers

If your wife wants a nice massage she can get a good one there at the spa.

Drive up the coast to Santa Barbara or Monterey. Stop at Malibu/Paradise Cove/Zuma Beach.

You can't go wrong with to much of anything on PCH

Have fun & good luck!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks Lizzy, we plan to drive down to Malibu from The Reagan museum and then on to the PCH! Do you recommend any other good restaurants around Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,982,402 times
Quote:
Thanks Lizzy, we plan to drive down to Malibu from The Reagan museum and then on to the PCH! Do you recommend any other good restaurants around Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes?

One suggestion for your time in Malibu/PCH. Many visitors/tourists make the mistake of just seeing the part of Malibu near the Malibu pier which in my opinion is NOT that impressive and even a little tacky.

By the far the most scenic and beautiful part of Malibu is just a few miles up the coast in the Pt. Dume/Zuma Beach area. See link below on Pt. Dume.

Point Dume SB

The most scenic part of the drive in Malibu on PCH is from Malibu Canyon Drive (where the Pepperdine University is located) towards all points north/west (including Pt. Dume/Zuma beach).

Have a good trip.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,395,331 times
Im not sure what you want to do or see in the city? Touristy things?

I think walking around Downtown LA is very fun. If you like architecture, you can check out the iconic buildings of the city hall, Disney concert hall, Bradbury Building, LA public library, cathedral of the angels and the beautiful facades along Broadway. Then end up at LA Live. It is a lot of walking, tho.

Pasadena doesn't have many tourist sites. Other than the buildings around city hall, most people end up in Old Town Pasadena. Old Town now doesnt resemble old town 20 years ago. Its like a giant outdoor mall, with every major brand name, most of which are upscale in these old brick buildings. Other places to possibly see are the museums, a run around the Rose Bowl, a drive around old craftsman homes scattered throughout, or even check out the Huntington Gardens in San Marino.

Hollywood is a good few hours sightseeing. There is the shopping center Hollywood/Highland, check out the Kodak Theatre outside, stars on the walk of fame, the hand and footprints at Graumans Chinese and maybe Madame Tussauds.

One really nice place to go that is nearby is the Griffith Observatory, especially during sunset time. You get panoramic views of the city towards to the ocean. The city lights up at night. Views of the Hollywood sign as well. There is also a planetarium inside. Check the opening hours.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,908,203 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you hope to gain by staying in Redondo Beach, but driving south 40 miles to Newport Beach and north 20 miles to Malibu. There are a lot of nice beaches between those 60 miles.

As for restaurants, try the Admiral Risty at PV Drive West and Hawthorne Blvd on the west side of "The Hill." Old local's favorite been there 40+ years. Nice views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles