Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
see dana point its a must
here is a link

enjoy good food and fun

http://www.italianlosangeles.org/index.php?38&190
I never knew Dana Point was considered Los Angeles.lol I'll check it out sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Boyle Heights of the 1940s was like the Bronx of the West Coast in its diversity and multiculturalism of different groups. Italians, Jews, Mexicans, Russians, and Asians, either immigrant or first generation, all living side by side, from what people tell me.

Older people I knew who grew up in Boyle Heights stated that it was common to hear English, Spanish, Italian, Yiddish, Russian, and Japanese all on the same block on a daily basis.
Boyle Heights has sure changed since the 1940s.lol

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 56,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
LA USED to have a Little Italy. Like in San Francisco, it is now called Chinatown.
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to comment. Even in New York City, where most Italian immigrants came through (my great-grandparents included), the Little Italy area is slowly being absorbed by the surrounding Chinatown... yes there are a lot of the Italian restaurants left in the area and many are still owned by Italian-American families, but if you look in the kitchens of these places, most of the wait staff are Latino or Asian. Most of the "souvenir shops" that sell the Italian flags and what not along Mulberry Street are owned and operated by Asians. This is because Italians, like the Irish, have by now assimilated into American culture. The dishes served at the Italian restaurants across American are often really Italian-American inventions, a hybrid of the old country and new tastes/traditions. Most American families would be surprised to learn that the "old Italian recipes" in their families were based on the financial limitations of an Italian family's new life in America

Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xartiswhy View Post
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to comment. Even in New York City, where most Italian immigrants came through (my great-grandparents included), the Little Italy area is slowly being absorbed by the surrounding Chinatown... yes there are a lot of the Italian restaurants left in the area and many are still owned by Italian-American families, but if you look in the kitchens of these places, most of the wait staff are Latino or Asian. Most of the "souvenir shops" that sell the Italian flags and what not along Mulberry Street are owned and operated by Asians. This is because Italians, like the Irish, have by now assimilated into American culture. The dishes served at the Italian restaurants across American are often really Italian-American inventions, a hybrid of the old country and new tastes/traditions. Most American families would be surprised to learn that the "old Italian recipes" in their families were based on the financial limitations of an Italian family's new life in America
That's quite true.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
I'm from New Rochelle, NY and am Italian and have been to quite a few Italian-owned restaurants in LA that have been quite good actually. And I'm mad picky. I'm not familiar with the area as I've only visited, but one was in the San Fernando Valley (Alessandro's?- something like that) and I got a nice case of heartburn, just like home. I was very pleased.

I lived in SF for a while while I was getting my master's, in North Beach actually, and was sorely disappointed with the food there time and time again. There is not one restaurant that I genuinely like in NB, and the whole neighborhood is just one big, fake tourist trap. There aren't even any real Italians living there! Definitely nothing like Arthur Ave or the North End in Boston.

Anyway, to each his own. Food is subjective and no one can contest that. That said, you just can't get great Italian food anywhere on the west coast, but Asian and Latin American food.... LA is #1 there in my book for sure!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
Well down here in San Diego we have a Little Italy, sadly though it's been hit heavily by gentrification. Too many new condo's have been built everywhere, a lot of the cool older buildings have been destroyed by demolition. LI feels fake and plasticly, a lot of the new buildings look cheap and lack great architectural style.

This place used to be authentic, many Italians lived here at one point in time, by now they all have been replaced by rich yuppies (non Italians) that act like they know the place and are trying the make the area more upscale.

This has ruined the neighborhood, rents, property values, and lease prices have gone up which has forced many long time businesses owners out of business.

The only ones that are still there have owned there buildings for many years.

Also too much trendy crap has invaded Little Italy, like high end boutiques, many of the restaurants cater to a high clientèle now days. The majority of the food places suck, the only Italian restaurant that has the best pasta and is the most authentic is called Fillipi's. They've been around since the 40's or 50's, and are still in there original location. It's different, because the restaurant is actually in the back, since there's an Italian market when you first walk in the door.

The food is great at Fillipi's, and a lot of people say that it rivals NYC's Italian food. The rest of area's eateries are overpriced garbage!

But yeah, even though SD has a Little Italy, it's been hijacked by developers, trend setters, and yuppies. There is also a lot of non Italian food eateries, and business in our LI. There's an English pub that sits on this one corner that totally ruins the authenticity of the area. Also an art supply store which is a corporation, and 2 7 Eleven stores that's in the area, this shows you the community is starting to lose it's meaning and culture

SD's Little Italy has sold itself out, just like other urban neighborhoods in SD have been destroyed or changed by gentrification. On one hand you increase property values, and tax dollars for the city, but on other, you remove the original culture, older buildings that actually have style, authenticity, and displace people from the neighborhood. It truly sucks what has happened to SD's LI. Sure it's nice and everything, but it's soulless place.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Well down here in San Diego we have a Little Italy, sadly though it's been hit heavily by gentrification. Too many new condo's have been built everywhere, a lot of the cool older buildings have been destroyed by demolition. LI feels fake and plasticly, a lot of the new buildings look cheap and lack great architectural style.

This place used to be authentic, many Italians lived here at one point in time, by now they all have been replaced by rich yuppies (non Italians) that act like they know the place and are trying the make the area more upscale.

This has ruined the neighborhood, rents, property values, and lease prices have gone up which has forced many long time businesses owners out of business.

The only ones that are still there have owned there buildings for many years.

Also too much trendy crap has invaded Little Italy, like high end boutiques, many of the restaurants cater to a high clientèle now days. The majority of the food places suck, the only Italian restaurant that has the best pasta and is the most authentic is called Fillipi's. They've been around since the 40's or 50's, and are still in there original location. It's different, because the restaurant is actually in the back, since there's an Italian market when you first walk in the door.

The food is great at Fillipi's, and a lot of people say that it rivals NYC's Italian food. The rest of area's eateries are overpriced garbage!

But yeah, even though SD has a Little Italy, it's been hijacked by developers, trend setters, and yuppies. There is also a lot of non Italian food eateries, and business in our LI. There's an English pub that sits on this one corner that totally ruins the authenticity of the area. Also an art supply store which is a corporation, and 2 7 Eleven stores that's in the area, this shows you the community is starting to lose it's meaning and culture

SD's Little Italy has sold itself out, just like other urban neighborhoods in SD have been destroyed or changed by gentrification. On one hand you increase property values, and tax dollars for the city, but on other, you remove the original culture, older buildings that actually have style, authenticity, and displace people from the neighborhood. It truly sucks what has happened to SD's LI. Sure it's nice and everything, but it's soulless place.
I guess its good that Los Angeles does not have a LI. It would be all plastic and fake by now.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM

77 posts, read 303,733 times
I believe San Pedro has been historically Little Italy

Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
I believe San Pedro has been historically Little Italy
Most of the Italians in San Pedro have moved elsewhere.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,772,094 times
I bet if LA had a LI, it would be a lot better than SD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles