Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
...I still beleive even these schools do offer some outstanding classes, advanced classes and many kids come out of these schools to go on to top universities.
I agree with you about that. I grew up near there and have several friends who are PHS graduates and did well....and some who did not. Most said PHS was too big a school and that they floundered. (And that was when CA ranked near the top in public education.) I have a niece who transferred last year from her private school into a PUSD h.s. and when one is a transfer student, one goes to the bottom of the list for class registration. So, no, I would not send my kids to any CA public h.s. mid-stream without fully researching it, which is very hard to do from out of state. And especially not while our education budget continues to be cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree with you about that. I grew up near there and have several friends who are PHS graduates and did well....and some who did not. Most said PHS was too big a school and that they floundered. (And that was when CA ranked near the top in public education.) I have a niece who transferred last year from her private school into a PUSD h.s. and when one is a transfer student, one goes to the bottom of the list for class registration. So, no, I would not send my kids to any CA public h.s. mid-stream without fully researching it, which is very hard to do from out of state. And especially not while our education budget continues to be cut.
Again, as usual we do agree. but when you say you wouldn't send your child to any CA public high school in mid stream, I am not sure the poster has much choice. The obvious choice would be a private school, maybe one that would fit with their life style, but if this isn't possible, I do think all kids can do well if they want to achieve.

Nita

Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
$900K might get you a great home in the Valencia area with golf course view and probably not even a builder home. Great schools too, you have school of arts and college of the canyons next door. Might be a bit conservative by LA standards but still more diverse than OC and closer to the LA happenings. It would be hot, but seems like you would be able to afford AC and a pool.

I know most people are not fond of Santa Clarita, but just throwing it out there...

Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You might want to check out Burbank. The schools are pretty good and the houses there tend to sit on decent sized lots. It's also fairly close to downtown LA.
Exactly. Burbank is often where people from Silver Lake often wind up when their kids have to go to middle school and high school, given that Burbank schools are excellent while Silver Lake's schools, King Middle School and Marshall High, are LAUSD atrocities (admittedly Marshall is far from the worst school in LAUSD but all the LAUSD comprehensives, even the best, are pretty damn bad). Burbank's also much more of a community than areas like Santa Clarita.

Glendale's schools are decent and much better than Pasadena's but Burbank's are better. (As for why PUSD's bad despite one expecting otherwise - that dates back from the tumultuous effects that busing had on 1970s Pasadena, it was the 1st school district in California to undergo busing and that created a massive mess. )

Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Valencia .... Great schools too
Is this true? I'm not disagreeing ... I've just never heard this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles