Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 AM

5 posts, read 5,105 times

Advertisements

Do you have any tips for me as to where to look for a place to live in LA?

I don't have a job yet, just graduated from law school, but I will most likely volunteer part-time at the courthouse in downtown LA (and work another non-legal job part-time). I am only looking for advice for the first year; when I get a "real" job (in my next life) I'll figure it out. I've never been to LA before, but I had to choose a place to start a new life. I am currently on the east coast.

I am moving there with my two 14-year old twin sons and my mother. My primary criteria for the neighborhood are safety and good schools. Other than that, we love nice natural landscapes, cleanliness is a must, we prefer a quiet neighborhood with families and professionals, where the kids can go out and safely ride their bikes and whatever teens do.

We need a 3-bedroom place, not more than $1,800/month or so. I am looking at Alhambra/Monterey Park and it looks like it has what I need, but my concern is that my kids would be the only white people in the school; I am afraid they might not be accepted and may feel isolated. Any thought on that? They are not racist, by the way, so if they are not bullied, they will love the diverse culture. My kids have been through a lot and I want them to feel welcome and at home in LA. I can't make a mistake when it comes to them. Me, I don't care - I'll sleep on the sofa, but they must have each their own room; I can drive an hour or more to work (though I'd prefer to spend more time with them); etc. But I just want them to be happy.

Where do Russian and Eastern European folks live in LA? We are originally from Eastern Europe, but not Russia). I'd be grateful for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,312,712 times
A lot of the recent Russian immigrants live in the West Hollywood/Fairfax area, the Armenians are in Glendale, not sure if there is a concentration of Poles and Slavs some place or not.

I'd look in Burbank over Monterey Park/Alhambra. Not sure what $1,800 gets you these days in Burbank, but that is where I'd start and then maybe Glendale, South Pasadena or Eagle Rock.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,131,378 times
Your never safe here. One minute you think your ok, the next your being chased by Tom Cruise with a hammer and he's constantly shouting "I AM INSIDE YOU!"..

Not pleasant..

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,791,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irena_101 View Post
Do you have any tips for me as to where to look for a place to live in LA?

I don't have a job yet, just graduated from law school, but I will most likely volunteer part-time at the courthouse in downtown LA (and work another non-legal job part-time). I am only looking for advice for the first year; when I get a "real" job (in my next life) I'll figure it out. I've never been to LA before, but I had to choose a place to start a new life. I am currently on the east coast.

I am moving there with my two 14-year old twin sons and my mother. My primary criteria for the neighborhood are safety and good schools. Other than that, we love nice natural landscapes, cleanliness is a must, we prefer a quiet neighborhood with families and professionals, where the kids can go out and safely ride their bikes and whatever teens do.

We need a 3-bedroom place, not more than $1,800/month or so. I am looking at Alhambra/Monterey Park and it looks like it has what I need, but my concern is that my kids would be the only white people in the school; I am afraid they might not be accepted and may feel isolated. Any thought on that? They are not racist, by the way, so if they are not bullied, they will love the diverse culture. My kids have been through a lot and I want them to feel welcome and at home in LA. I can't make a mistake when it comes to them. Me, I don't care - I'll sleep on the sofa, but they must have each their own room; I can drive an hour or more to work (though I'd prefer to spend more time with them); etc. But I just want them to be happy.

Where do Russian and Eastern European folks live in LA? We are originally from Eastern Europe, but not Russia). I'd be grateful for any advice.
lol your list of requirements for $1800 are crazy...good luck; i would not suggest alhambra or Monterey Park if you want them to be happy; They are going to be the outsider whites in an asian area...i'd look for something in the south bay or maybe north Orange County if you can handle the commute

Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,791,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
A lot of the recent Russian immigrants live in the West Hollywood/Fairfax area, the Armenians are in Glendale, not sure if there is a concentration of Poles and Slavs some place or not.

I'd look in Burbank over Monterey Park/Alhambra. Not sure what $1,800 gets you these days in Burbank, but that is where I'd start and then maybe Glendale, South Pasadena or Eagle Rock.
i agree with this guy..

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,551,887 times
You may have to accept a smaller place to live in a community where your kids aren't in the extreme minority (if working downtown). Either that or raise your budget $500-700 a month. Burbank and the S.E. SF Valley would be a good starting point.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,105 times
Thanks so much for the advice, guys. Burbank seems too expensive. South Pasadena, too.
OK, I have a bunch of questions:

Is Glendale safe and nice for two teen boys?
What is S.E. SF Valley? (I figure SF is San Fernando, but what is S.E. - south-east San Fernando Valley?)
What do you understand by south bay, can you tell me names of towns?
How long a drive from Anaheim to downtowan LA?
What about places like Norwalk, Downey, Covina, Gardena, Glendora, Tarzana, Sun Valley...?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,634,256 times
Sun Valley? No. Van Nuys, depends. Receda, I personally do not like it.

Look can be deceiving too. Places in LA look old but they're not ghetto or unsafe.

Just stay away from Pacoima, really.

Burbank on the border of NoHo is not too expensive, especially all along magnolia.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,833,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Your never safe here. One minute you think your ok, the next your being chased by Tom Cruise with a hammer and he's constantly shouting "I AM INSIDE YOU!"..

Not pleasant..
LOL! I can't get this picture out of my head.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,312,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irena_101 View Post
Thanks so much for the advice, guys. Burbank seems too expensive. South Pasadena, too.
OK, I have a bunch of questions:

Is Glendale safe and nice for two teen boys?
What is S.E. SF Valley? (I figure SF is San Fernando, but what is S.E. - south-east San Fernando Valley?)
What do you understand by south bay, can you tell me names of towns?
How long a drive from Anaheim to downtowan LA?
What about places like Norwalk, Downey, Covina, Gardena, Glendora, Tarzana, Sun Valley...?
South Bay is Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, Lomita and maybe the Palos Verdes Peninsula, depending on who you talk to.

Burbank and South Pas have places that are affordable, but you have to work for them.

Anaheim to Downtown is the commute from Hades if you have to have a car, but not bad if you can ride the train every day. If you are looking at Anaheim look at Fullerton too.

Love Downey & Whittier, great schools and great old communities. Cypress and Cerritos are communities worth looking at too.

I would be a lot less thrilled about Norwalk, Sun Valley and Gardena. If I did live in Norwalk my kids would be at St John Bosco and I am not Catholic, but it is the only decent school in the area.

I would call the SE SF Valley Burbank, NoHo, Studio City, Toluca Lake and Valley Village. Some good areas, some spotty areas in NoHo and Valley Village.

Oh and is Glendale okay, I'd say yes if they go to Hoover High, less so if they go to Glendale High (sorry Nitros!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles