Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

Most doctors are gay friendly and have been trained to respect all lifestyles and not to make assumptions. However I have come across some who want to practice medicine while practicing their religious preference, so they will deny patients certain aspects of care (i.e. won't prescribe birth control even to women - even if married... which I think is a load of crap). So yes, this is a legitimate question. But you will probably do just fine if you take your chances with most people. The doctor will tell you if they have a problem with treating you and will refer you to somebody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
A doctor isn't a robot. He or she is a human being. A good doctor/patient relationship is one where the doctor and patient can relate to each other. I'm gay, and I would never want to see a doctor who isn't at least gay-friendly - and preferably, gay.

Patients have their reasons for liking or disliking a doctor. They should see whoever they're comfortable with. To harass the OP for wanting a gay-friendly doctor tells me that the harasser is anti-gay himself, or at least, a bully.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM

125 posts, read 385,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anunidentifiedmale View Post
a doctor isn't a robot. He or she is a human being. A good doctor/patient relationship is one where the doctor and patient can relate to each other. I'm gay, and i would never want to see a doctor who isn't at least gay-friendly - and preferably, gay.

Patients have their reasons for liking or disliking a doctor. They should see whoever they're comfortable with. To harass the op for wanting a gay-friendly doctor tells me that the harasser is anti-gay himself, or at least, a bully.

+1

Old 11-02-2023, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
Well said! That's exactly right.

To the OP, I will send you a private message listing 3 gay friendly doctors in the Kaiser network.
I know this thread is 13 years old - yikes! - but if you're still on this site I'd love to get those recommendations. I'm having the same problem finding a gay doctor at Kaiser. It's impossible to search on their site. I've gotten two personal recommendations but neither are accepting new patients.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:54 PM

136 posts, read 123,740 times
Good luck! I hear you, you need a doctor whom you can trust and talk to. Hope you found one. I'm gay and on Kaiser, too. If I even find one, I'll let you know!

Old 11-12-2023, 02:35 PM

689 posts, read 639,852 times
For what it's worth, I know black people who prefer black doctors too. It's not that non-black doctors are bad, but there have been situations (e.g. The Tuskegee Project) where, looking back, race may well have been a factor. The patient needs to feel comfortable with the with their doctor and have open communication. That could mean selecting a doctor based on gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, and perhaps lots of other factors.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:32 PM

0 posts, read 9,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
For what it's worth, I know black people who prefer black doctors too.
I've read stories about white patients who asked for white doctors in a hospital and the staff called them racist.

Why isn't it racist for a black patient to prefer a black doctor?

Old 11-13-2023, 03:00 PM

689 posts, read 639,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Sticks View Post
I've read stories about white patients who asked for white doctors in a hospital and the staff called them racist.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I prefer male doctors in some cases, but I wouldn't call myself "anti-woman."

Old 11-15-2023, 12:05 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Sticks View Post

Because white, unlike Black and gay, isn't a vulnerable historically discriminated-against group. Any more mysteries we can solve for you?

Old 11-15-2023, 12:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Why would the sexual preference of the doctor matter unless you're hoping your appointment finishes with a happy ending?
Reading a whole three pages of a thread is an onerous task, eh? Your question has been answered, provided you're actually interested in knowing the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles