Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM

34 posts, read 177,024 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I will be moving due to her new job at Kaiser Permanente at Sunset and Vermont. We hear that a lot of people at the hospital live in Los Feliz, but when we visited, it didn't look like a great neighborhood (although it's up and coming).

We visited at the end of 2007 and really liked Pasadena (near Old Town) because we could walk around to stores and restaurants. We currently live in the suburbs, so having things within walking distance would be a lifestyle change we would welcome. Having the Gold Line nearby would be great, too, so that my wife could commute via Metro... it's supposedly a 40 minute trip and with walking, it would probably be an hour each way - but that certainly beats sitting in traffic for that time.

However, I've also read on these forums that people say to live as close as possible to work, so I'd like to get anyone's feedback. Fortunately, I'll be telecommuting, so that isn't an issue - it's more about living close enough to Kaiser, but also in a safe area. We have considered the Hollywood Hills (of course it's expensive, but we might be able to afford a lower-end home in the Hills), but my fear is that even though it appears to be close enough to the hospital via Google Maps, with all of the windy, one lane roads, it might take a long time to get to work anyway, and I also hear it's not safe to walk.

So, we have to choose between commute times, safe neighborhoods, and nice restaurants and stores within walking distance... is there a location that might provide all 3 of these things, or do we have to choose?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Los Feliz would be perfect for you, it certainly is an established, nice neighborhood with plenty to do and very close to the hospital. The hostpital itself is not directly located in Los Feliz, but is an easy walk or bike ride away. There's also a DASH shuttle that runs from the village down to the metro stop at Sunset/Vermont. However, homes in this neighborhood are very expensive. Pasadena is somewhat similar to Los Feliz, but it would require commuting atleast 30 minutes each way via car. Using the metro for this commute would be out of your way since you'd have to transfer from the gold line to the red line and go through downtown.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Los Feliz would be perfect for you, it certainly is an established, nice neighborhood with plenty to do and very close to the hospital. The hostpital itself is not directly located in Los Feliz, but is an easy walk or bike ride away. There's also a DASH shuttle that runs from the village down to the metro stop at Sunset/Vermont. However, homes in this neighborhood are very expensive. Pasadena is somewhat similar to Los Feliz, but it would require commuting atleast 30 minutes each way via car. Using the metro for this commute would be out of your way since you'd have to transfer from the gold line to the red line and go through downtown.
Thanks for your input, BRinSM!

My wife would probably work from 8-5 - would her commute still be only 30 minutes each way from Pasadena and back? I have read on other threads that traveling from downtown out East to Pasadena in the afternoons is a nightmare...

Also, when we visited Los Feliz last time (we went to the Alcove Cafe & Bakery), it didn't seem like much of an area - granted, we visited at night and it was dark out. Is the popular Los Feliz area on Vermont and Hillhurst, south of Los Feliz blvd?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
I've never actually made the commute from Pasadena directly to Los Feliz during rush hour so I can't honestly say, but its not too far away. However, anytime you're going west in the morning and east in the evening, you're going to be sitting in traffic.

Anyways, regarding Los Feliz, the village area is approximately Vermon on the west, Hillhurst on the west, Los Feliz Blvd to the north and Prospect on the south. If this area didn't seem like much to you, then you're not going to think too much of LA. LA is pretty much an assemblage of neighborhoods that each have their own little central business areas made up of shops adn restaurants. Of course there are exceptions to this, but this is what you will notice about LA. The good thing about Los Feliz though is its location to other areas. Hollywood is just down the way, Pasadena is not too far and neither is downtown. Silverlake is very close and you're at the bottom of Griffith Park. Los Feliz is a very desirable place to live, and in fact there are many celebrities in the homes north of Los Feliz Blvd.

Another area that you may want to look into would be Hancock Park or Larchmont Village. Both of these places are also fairly close (within a few miles) to the Kaiser hospital and are desirable neighborhoods. Homes are very expensive to purchase, but you can find nice 20s and 30s art deco/spanish revival apartment buildings.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Thanks BRinSM, I appreciate the advice...

We'll actually be making a trip out to LA in May, so hopefully we can get a better feel for the Los Feliz area... one reason why we're leaning toward Pasadena is the Old Town area... there are just so many stores and shops that are useful to us... if Los Feliz or Silver Lake has that selection and caliber of shops, we might lean more toward there...

Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Los Feliz to Pasadena won't be bad. It will be easier for you to take the street. The worst part will be driving on Los Feliz Blvd past Griffith Park. Once you get past Griffith Park, it will be smooth sailing.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks for your feedback... we really like Pasadena, but we would ideally like to live closer to Sunset/Vermont, where my wife will be working. We've recently come across some really nice homes in Glassell Park/Mt. Washington area. I've read on these forums that it's not a completely safe area, but that it's going through gentrification.

We've also really liked Eagle Rock - but is that a residential only area, or are there places to walk to around there?

Lastly, we like the Hollywood Hills (our budget would allow us to maybe get a 2 bd, 2 bth there)... but we're wary of the area because we probably can't walk around easily and the residential traffic might get bad during rush hour...

Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I've haven't found an area of Eagle Rock that's walkable. As for Glassell Park, if I'm thinking about the right area (near Dodger Stadium) those homes are so gorgeous, if I could get a house there, I would ignore the Sunset part of the neighborhood.

You are correct about Hollywood Hills traffic. I think that Los Feliz might work for you. L.A. is not really a walking town.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I've haven't found an area of Eagle Rock that's walkable. As for Glassell Park, if I'm thinking about the right area (near Dodger Stadium) those homes are so gorgeous, if I could get a house there, I would ignore the Sunset part of the neighborhood.

You are correct about Hollywood Hills traffic. I think that Los Feliz might work for you. L.A. is not really a walking town.
I've heard that Glassell Park isn't too safe... do you know where in particular the danger zone is? We really like some of the homes we've turned up in Glassell Park (they are still expensive, but MUCH more affordable than anywhere else near to Kaiser)... also, what's the local traffic like from Glassell Park to Vermont/Sunset?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Actually, it might be Mt. Washington instead of Glassell Park... that's where the nice homes are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles