Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM

929 posts, read 2,070,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
I just got a ticket in the mail and as far as I can tell, the red light camera took a picture of me doing a legal right on red!? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
I'm concerned because it's a route I travel several times a week and I don't want another ticket. But apart from the (illegal) plate covers is there anything to do apart from sitting there at the light and not making a right until it turns green? It's a busy intersection and I can imagine all the drivers behind me going crazy!
Doesn't matter, you're a criminal. Pay the tax, uhh fine, CRIMINAL!!11!!!1!!! Or else, they will take away your license, put you in jail when they catch you, and then charge you a surcharge for wasting taxpayers dollars and cutting into important "fishing while at work" time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Doesn't matter, you're a criminal. Pay the tax, uhh fine, CRIMINAL!!11!!!1!!! Or else, they will take away your license, put you in jail when they catch you, and then charge you a surcharge for wasting taxpayers dollars and cutting into important "fishing while at work" time.
Well, actually I read in Newsday that they are booting and towing away the cars of "red light camera" ticket scofflaws! Pay up or Big Brother will take your car away from you!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM

929 posts, read 2,070,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, actually I read in Newsday that they are booting and towing away the cars of "red light camera" ticket scofflaws! Pay up or Big Brother will take your car away from you!
Oh, I wasn't joking. My uncle, who lives in out of state, was pulled over while going to my sister's wedding and hauled off to jail for two unpaid vehicle infractions. He had to pay over $1,200 in fines and spent a night in jail. Talk about the penalty matching the crime. Oh yeah, they did impound his car. I have no idea what he paid to get it out.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,165,486 times
Quote:
I just got a ticket in the mail and as far as I can tell, the red light camera took a picture of me doing a legal right on red!? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
I'm concerned because it's a route I travel several times a week and I don't want another ticket. But apart from the (illegal) plate covers is there anything to do apart from sitting there at the light and not making a right until it turns green? It's a busy intersection and I can imagine all the drivers behind me going crazy!

You have to come to a full stop when the light turns red. You probably didn't. You can try pleading not guilty and maybe get a reduction.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,165,486 times
Quote:
Those of you who asked about the complete stop were right. I made a rolling stop but at least now I know how to avoid a ticket at that intersection. Also there were 3 other cars on the video and none of them made a complete stop--a couple of them didn't slow down at all and went through pretty fast. It helps a little to know that I'm not the only person to make that mistake.

The ticket says "EB Old Country Road @ Ring Rd", it's the turn into Roosevelt Field from Old Country going east, just after Glen Cove Rd.
This is the EXACT spot where we got our ticket. I don't think you can make a right on red there any longer because now there's a sign that says 'Stop Here on Red'. I wonder if we got our ticket the same day. LOL

Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 PM

186 posts, read 735,187 times
I got a ticket recently for making a right turn on red where it was posted "No turn on red - when pedestrians present". I am damn sure there were NO pedestrians present. I am planning to contest it, but wanted to check with folks here about what they think and if it's worth it.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 AM

20,177 posts, read 20,962,201 times
If you don't work, or make less than 50 bucks a day, then it might be worth going to court. Otherwise, for 50 bucks, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:33 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,482,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
I got a ticket recently for making a right turn on red where it was posted "No turn on red - when pedestrians present". I am damn sure there were NO pedestrians present. I am planning to contest it, but wanted to check with folks here about what they think and if it's worth it.
Take a photo of this sign, plead not guilty to your ticket, bring the pic to court and demand all the photos the camera took --- from the time you pulled up to the light until you passed the light and into the parking lot (or whatever). It will show 1. if you came to a full stop and 2. if there were any pedestrians present.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,482,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
This is the EXACT spot where we got our ticket. I don't think you can make a right on red there any longer because now there's a sign that says 'Stop Here on Red'. I wonder if we got our ticket the same day. LOL
I don't believe a "stop here on red" sign and a "no turn on red" sign mean the same thing. I would plead not guilty, take a pic of the sign & bring it to court and see what happens.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 AM

110 posts, read 350,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
My bet is you did NOT come to a complete stop. That seems to be what everyone is getting nailed with these days . Check out your video on the ticket site and let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island