Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,108,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ lots of people get caught at that Roosevelt Field right turn. People treat it like a yield instead because it's a curve, but actually the line is before the curve and that's where you have to fully stop. I think their reasoning for stopping way back there is the perpendicular crosswalk ahead (quick turn into pedestrians if you're busy looking left).
curved turns, legal right turns, turning arrow lights & red light cameras are always a bit confusing for me. I never received a ticket but I am reluctant to make any turns.

There is one across the same street by Vincent/Toys R us...also confusing. Then there is one by NSP and Lakeville Road....also a curved, arrow lights, legal right turns....and of course a camera right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
No, people complain about an obvious money-grab in a manner not designed to increase safety. I would find red-light cameras coupled with longer yellow lights more palatable. But some cities have even decreased yellow light timing when red-light cameras are installed, which increases revenue and decreases safety.

Laws and the accompanying penalties should be implemented to promote order and safety. The manner in which the red light camera program was implemented to increase revenue without affecting safety or order. I am a law-abiding citizen but the government shouldn't be playing "gotcha" purely to collect revenue.

The curve entrance at Old Country Road by Roosevelt Field appears to be a perfect example. Its confusing and the camera seems to be planted there to capitalize on the confusion, not to promote safe driving habits. The signage should say both "stop here on red" at the line and "right on red after stop" because it is really not clear where you have to stop. Intuitively, you should be stopping at the end of the curve (e.g., just before entering the intersection), but the camera is set up to take photos of cars passing an arbitrarily painted (and partially faded) line before reaching the intersection. I've never received a red-light ticket, but this offends me.

The distinction between tricking drivers into paying a fine and promoting safe driving by imposing fines is a significant one, in my view. The latter suggests that the Government is there to promote order and safety. The former is just a money-grab for the Hobbsian leviathan.
My biggest complaint is that it isn't about safety. Virtually no pedestrian cross those streets where cameras are located. Its no where near schools or house of worship. If it was in say....Queens Blvd of Queens aka the Blvd of death where there was many fatalities...sure.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
curved turns, legal right turns, turning arrow lights & red light cameras are always a bit confusing for me. I never received a ticket but I am reluctant to make any turns.

There is one across the street by Vincent/Toys R us...also confusing. Then there is one by NSP and Lakeville Road....also a curved, arrow lights, legal right turns....and of course a camera right there.
Curved turns should have yield signs but if they don't and you don't see a white line anywhere, I just go anyway. Yields for right turns with a RLC at the intersection are most confusing (like at Underhill Blvd in Syosset), but a yield should be a yield (no stop necessary).

Legal right turns - I've heard (and just read) that the only place in America that doesn't allow right on red (no signs present) is NYC boroughs. Everywhere else you may make a right on red after stop. If you're near the Nassau border, better safe than sorry IMO.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,600,157 times
Quote:
^ there is no 3 second rule.
Correct. The NY VTL simply refers to "complete cessation from movement."

Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The curve entrance at Old Country Road by Roosevelt Field appears to be a perfect example. Its confusing and the camera seems to be planted there to capitalize on the confusion, not to promote safe driving habits. The signage should say both "stop here on red" at the line and "right on red after stop" because it is really not clear where you have to stop. Intuitively, you should be stopping at the end of the curve (e.g., just before entering the intersection), but the camera is set up to take photos of cars passing an arbitrarily painted (and partially faded) line before reaching the intersection. I've never received a red-light ticket, but this offends me.

The distinction between tricking drivers into paying a fine and promoting safe driving by imposing fines is a significant one, in my view. The latter suggests that the Government is there to promote order and safety. The former is just a money-grab for the Hobbsian leviathan.
Look at the above picture again. There's a crosswalk there ahead and that's the reason for it. If you move the white line up at the curve, people would be too busy looking left for intersecting cars rather than potential pedestrians before they even reach the white line and by then it could be too late. White lines are at every stop sign and red light already, so I'm not sure why you say it's not clear where you have to stop.

Surely a "stop here on red" would help drivers obey this light. But it would cut down on revenue too. This RLC does serve two purposes, no doubt. Shall we get into why the county needs to money-grab?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 AM

yes they should have a yield but its not there either.

I noticed drivers not from the area who drive close to the borders of LI and Queens/BK...there is generally confusion about right turns on red....I am sure they are big money makers for the camera scam. I had friends who driven me around the border...can I or can't I?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,600,157 times
Quote:
Look at the above picture again. There's a crosswalk there ahead and that's the reason for it. If you move the white line up at the curve, people would be too busy looking left for intersecting cars rather than potential pedestrians. White lines are at every stop sign and red light already, so I'm not sure why you say it's not clear where you have to stop.
I understand why the line is there. My point is not that it shouldn't be there, but that it should be more clear that you are obliged to stop at the line if that's where the County wants you to stop (for pedestrians or anything else).

There should be a sign next to the line that says "stop here on red" coupled with a "right on red after stop" sign. Signage like that would be many times more effective at getting drivers to stop at the appropriate place than setting up a camera at a confusing intersection without the benefit of such signage.

Again, the point is that the cameras at this intersection (like many others) are not aimed at promoting safety, but instead at collecting revenue. There are cheaper, more effective ways at promoting safety.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:10 AM

^ they could just as easily put more cops on the road and ticket every driver going 1mph over to get what they need. Is that what you'd prefer? I don't think anyone would.

Yes, the local gov't will generally claim it's for safety, but what else can they say instead exactly when they are grabbing money as legitimately as they can? They don't want challenges either so this is how it's done - whether drivers are breaking these laws - that's clear as black and white.

It's not like it's for their profit either so I don't understand the hate behind their mistruth. If anything, your anger should be directed at all the people who get paid extravagantly around here necessitating this. Literally, the people I see on FB complaining are the same people making too much from taxpayers - it's pretty ridiculous. How much in debt are we again?

Last edited by ovi8; 06-14-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 50,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
look at your ticket. There is a web link...put your violation #. there are pics and a video you can watch. It is a very clear evidence of your guilt or innocence.
Thank you, I found it. We did not stop because at the time when my husband passed it, it just turned red.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,546,685 times
Quote:
I understand why the line is there. My point is not that it shouldn't be there, but that it should be more clear that you are obliged to stop at the line if that's where the County wants you to stop (for pedestrians or anything else).

There should be a sign next to the line that says "stop here on red" coupled with a "right on red after stop" sign. Signage like that would be many times more effective at getting drivers to stop at the appropriate place than setting up a camera at a confusing intersection without the benefit of such signage.

Again, the point is that the cameras at this intersection (like many others) are not aimed at promoting safety, but instead at collecting revenue. There are cheaper, more effective ways at promoting safety.

I agree with your conclusions about safety and revenue generation.

I do not understand how you arrive at your opinion on signage. The line is the sign. It is a thick, white standard stop line. Nothing confusing or misleading that I can see in the photo. By your logic, every stop line should have a sign for "stop here" (and people would still ignore it).

Yes, most people don't seem to know what a stop line is or what it means. That's just ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island