Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 AM

128 posts, read 340,883 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am looking to replace my roof, siding and a few windows. For the roof I have contacted Long Island Roofing and Nassau Roofing. They both seem competent and it may come down to price. One quoted 7400 and the other was around 7800 (this # includes gutters)

Initially I was only going to replace my roof. After thinking about it, I thought it best to do my windows, siding and roof all at once (Gulp!).

I found the following names, mostly though Certainteed and GAF. I havent met them yet, but they are coming by soon to offer their thoughts and estimates.

G & S Siding
CLassic Home Improvements
Wagner Construction
Wendel Home Center
Arrow Siding and Windows
Total Home Construction

If anyone on these forums has used any of the above vendors can you please let me know your thoughts, and if you may have used someone else let me know too please?

Also has anyone done all three (windows,roof,windows) at once?

This is going to cost my wife and I a good chunk of money and we want to make sure we make the right decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM

510 posts, read 2,207,396 times
I just used and recommend 100% Patrick Liquori from East coast Custom Exteriors. They do Siding, windows, Dormers and extensions.
(516) 818 - 8169

For my roof I used Eddie - He was a sub contractor from my contractor and his number is 516-557-8856

Tell them both Scott from Levittown sent you

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 38,701 times
I had my roof and windows replaced last June. The roof was done by 1-800-New-Roof. They did a great job at a fair price. I've got a big roof, 27 squares, and had to replace all of the roof decking as well so my job was considerabley more expensive but, they were priced in the middle of the range of prices I recieved from 3 other contractors and their work was efficient and clean. No dumpsters and no blue tarps. If you call them ask for Eric Seith.

We also replaced every window in the house. For this end of the project we used Infinity Windows of Long Island. They are a division of Marvin and make an all fiberglass composite product that won't rot and doesn't require paint. Thay can make them to fit any size opening. If you call tham ask for Mike Philbrick.

If you need more info just leave a post and I'll follow up.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 PM

64 posts, read 253,365 times
Just be sure whoever you get uses ice shield along the edges and flashes everything carefully, especially around dormers, chimneys and roof vents. We are just repairing a roof right now where our contractor did not do these things when he built it years ago.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
If you're doing windows and hope to get a tax credit on it, look closely into the ratings on the windows. Allegedly the regions have been slightly altered and LI's U-factor rating might have to be a little lower than listed below.

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR
  • Windows, Doors, Skylights

Energy efficient windows, doors and skylights can reduce energy bills.
    Requirements

U factor <=0.30
    SHGC <=0.30
    Tax Credit does NOT include installation costs.
    See definitions.

More Information

• How to apply (http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2928 - broken link)
    • Windows, Doors, Skylights FAQs

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 83,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I just used and recommend 100% Patrick Liquori from East coast Custom Exteriors. They do Siding, windows, Dormers and extensions.
(516) 818 - 8169

For my roof I used Eddie - He was a sub contractor from my contractor and his number is 516-557-8856

Tell them both Scott from Levittown sent you
Hey Scott, I am confused, I thought you said the contractor RMC Restorations is doing your dormer/extension/roof/siding/window, etc.
Jack

Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM

184 posts, read 228,178 times
I'll bump this thread. I'm looking to replace siding/windows as well.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 AM

172 posts, read 221,255 times
Bumping this for anyone looking to get work done in these areas

I used alpha windows and siding back in 2011. Very pleased.

They weren't pushy with me to sign and contract like some of the other companies.

For 12k I got 2 entry doors, 2 screen doors, siding on the front of my home, and 16 windows(2 were sliders and 2 were octagon windows)

Good crew, prompt, attention to detail, good troubleshooting, customer service, good cleanup, took care of all the little areas I needed some work on.

They took care of some little details that were missed after the job was done promptly and gave me a lifetime warranty.

The only thing I wasn't pleased with was the guy who did the entry doors because he had a little attitude and didn't have great attention to detail. But the work was done right so it was just a problem with the person.

A couple weeks ago, I got them back to do my roof.

Seemed costly at first around 16k but got it down to around 13-14k and they are taking care of all my problem areas the the leaks in the roof caused.

I have a normal sized cape with 2 doghouses on each side.
There are about 25-30 ft extensions on each end of the original cape

So for that price

Total strip down of old roof with 3 layers
New roof with ice guards on the perimeter, some other pre wrap layer on the whole roof, new decking where I need it because my old decking is actual wood planks
New flashing and valleys, etc
New garage roof which is a seperate garage
Shingles are iko
And I'm getting those vent system shingles that sit on the peak of the roof
Plus all the little repairs in needed in the inside

I was thinking if I got a good deal or not

Any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island