Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM

416 posts, read 698,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

Next topic, please. This one is DOA.
Do you know what the difference is btwn prisons and jails?

By the way, you started down this path with your irrelevant stat... Then the local genius spent 6 posts trying to figure that out... Great job donkey.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Are you even reading what I write?

I asked YOU whether you knew the difference between police, sheriffs, and COs.

Now if you can extrapolate, wouldn't that stand to reason that I know the difference?

And if you can extrapolate further, wouldn't that stand to reason that if I know about corrections, that I know the difference between a jail and a prison?

Tell you what. You go back and read all of the posts I've made on this thread. Not skim. Not gloss over. But read.

And then use your powers of analytical thinking and deductive reasoning to put it all together instead of cherry picking sentences looking for something to disagree with and then firing off questions that only serve to demonstrate that you are not really paying attention.

Believe me, I'm talking from a much better vantage point than you are. These things affect my life far more than they affect yours. FAR more than they affect yours.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Thank you; get the thread back on point with anything remotely resembling a fact to what you've posted answers...

1> I know plenty of nassau cops who have been retired and collecting a pension for over 20 years

Ok -- how many?

2>Thank you. Your point only underscores the issue. An SCPD police officer, anfter only 5 short years, is making a base salary of $100k while the deputy sheriffs make a base that is slightly more than $20K less per year after 12 years. The sheriffs deputies are doing an excellent job on the LIE and sunrise highway - thank you sheriffs deps, for proving that police officers do not need to be paid an arm and a leg to do an excellent job.

Again, based on what? Accidents, tickets, arrests, WHAT? And you DO know that both jobs, while similar, are also different, right?

3>Aviennes stats about co life expectancy are not relevant to nassau county since the stats includes prisons and nccf is a jail... Different severity of workplace.

Really? Same time of work environment, "clientele", exposure to disease & illness, mandated overtime [ you realize that they just can't just leave, after all]

Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
And if you can extrapolate further, wouldn't that stand to reason that if I know about corrections, that I know the difference between a jail and a prison?

Believe me, I'm talking from a much better vantage point than you are. These things affect my life far more than they affect yours. FAR more than they affect yours.
Know-it-alls usually know nothing

Just sayin

Old 02-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
3>Aviennes stats about co life expectancy are not relevant to nassau county since the stats includes prisons and nccf is a jail... Different severity of workplace.

Really? Same time of work environment, "clientele", exposure to disease & illness, mandated overtime [ you realize that they just can't just leave, after all]
Thank you. You get it. Who does he think deals with the clientele before they get sent to a prison?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Know-it-alls usually know nothing

Just sayin

No, honey. I don't know it all. I know what I'm close to, and I'm much closer to it than you are. I can guarantee that.

Now go. Learn, that ye may not look silly.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
No, honey. I don't know it all. I know what I'm close to, and I'm much closer to it than you are. I can guarantee that.

Now go. Learn, that ye may not look silly.
Yea you don't know it all? Well you fooled many people on this forum then if you aren't textbook knowitall I don know what is.

As for prisons and jails... Grouping the worst of the worst tends to bring outthe worst in all of them... But if you think county jail is just as roudy as prison, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. But before you tell me what I don't know (what nerve) I have family working in sing sing, so unless you were put in prison and have first hand experience ( no surprise), chances are you don't know any more than me about this.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Yea you don't know it all? Well you fooled many people on this forum then if you aren't textbook knowitall I don know what is.

As for prisons and jails... Grouping the worst of the worst tends to bring outthe worst in all of them... But if you think county jail is just as roudy as prison, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. But before you tell me what I don't know (what nerve) I have family working in sing sing, so unless you were put in prison and have first hand experience ( no surprise), chances are you don't know any more than me about this.
I can't believe this nonsense about NCCC or Riverhead being just as dangerous a working environment as a Supermax prison has been going on for several pages now. I always thought it was pretty basic common knowledge that one kind of incarceration is worse than the other.....but reading over the last few pages, I feel like I might be required to write a cover letter and give at least 3 professional references before stating the obvious LOL....

BTW - You made a lot of great points earlier in the thread, too....before all the "PRISON-VS.-JAIL" foolishness sidetracked things. I'm glad we agree on this one

Quote:
That said, longevity is a huge issue among law enforcement, too. People complain about law enforcement pensions, but they don't stop to think about how long law enforcement personnel actually live after retiring. The average life expectancy of a cop is five to ten years after retirement. The average lifespan for a corrections officer is 57. And I don't know anyone who has been injured and out on disability who wanted it to happen.

I really think it behooves people to learn exactly what these guys and gals do on a daily basis, what they deal with, how their lives are, and what kinds of sacrifices they make. As someone else said before, all it takes is one incident. I've seen it, several times, saw the injuries, went to the funerals, and it isn't pretty, it isn't fun, it isn't easy, and it certainly isn't cushy. Police Week in D.C. isn't just about the beer.
Toto, we ain't in D.C. anymore....

Trying to make some kind of correlation between the dangers of police work in a city that was very recently the murder capitol of the United States and a region (Nassau & Suffolk) that has, for over a century, been regarded as one of our nation's safest, is.....well, I think you probably know what it is. I'm not saying that Long Island cops are just glorified meter maids, but the on the job risks - the ones you're using to justify bloated pensions and salaries that are way out of whack with the private sector - are grossly exaggerated. Every year the US Bureau of Labor Statistics publishes a list of the 10 most dangerous jobs in America, and surprisingly enough, no type of law enforcement ever makes the cut.

Of course, those are national figures and we're talking Long Island.....don't worry, we've got those too. This is a common topic on these boards, in fact it just came up a couple months ago. Maybe there are funerals in DC, but in Nassau there have only been 29 in the department's 84 year history....and 19 of those were the result of accidents. Only 24 (total) in Suffolk. Like I said in the other thread, I don't think it's fair to put a pricetag on human life....but if you're trying to claim that the "dangers of the job" are a good enough justification for the unreasonably lucrative salaries, benefits and pensions that are crushing LI taxpayers, then that's exactly what you're doing.

Right now, you're probably thinking up some clever response that will hinge on the fact that you never directly said you were talking about on-the-job dangers (although with all the weepy funeral stuff, I think it was implied pretty hard....) and that you only meant to explain how most LEOs mysteriously perish shortly after retiring, so they never get to enjoy their exorbitant pension plans anyway. Well yet again, I'm one step ahead of you!

First off, I did my own research (using the cute "Google it yourself" link you provided a few posts later) and found the numbers 57, 58 and 59 variously on plenty of un-cited webpages, as well as the "5-10 years after retirement" amongst several message board posts, blogs, etc.....but I can't actually find an original source that says anything about it. In fact, it doesn't seem like there is even any record kept of life expectancy by specific profession on any national level. I'm not gonna go all the way out on a limb and say that it's just another urban legend, but I was able to find two reports done at a state level using actual pension payout data that show life expectancy for LEOs was not significantly different than your average American. Here's another article that mentions a third study done in Oregon that shows the typical LEO living into their 80s. I couldn't find that one online, but the author cites the 2 other sources I found and makes a good argument against bloated pensions.

Besides that whole thing, many of the sites that claim LEOs have a short life expectancy also cite a UNC study done in 1999 that showed retired officers are twice as susceptible to diabetes and heart disease....largely due to unhealthy diets and sedentary lifestyles, not job related stress or workplace injuries. It would be too easy to make a donut joke right here...

I'm sure stress is a factor too, but BIG EFFIN DEAL! That's life, most people work stressful jobs with terrible hours to make ends meet. The only difference is that in the private sector, absolutely nothing is guaranteed. No matter how "bad" wearing a badge is, all you have to do is show up and not do something insane like rape kids or drive drunk into a convent, and all those worthless taxpayers will keep your pockets fat long after you've retired.

And finally.....back to the original point of this thread....

Yes, NCPD & SCPD are way overpaid. I care because the more money they make, the less of my paycheck I get to keep. It doesn't mean I hate cops or even have anything against them.....but they are a very visible part of a broken, bloated and wasteful government that needs a serious overhaul. The worst part about it is that within the current system, we literally can't do anything about it. As long as they have their contracts which are ridiculously out of whack with real life, the majority of us are gonna keep taking it up the ass.

I'm worn out from writing the whole lengthy reply above, so I can't really get too in-depth on this, but I think at this point our only hope is disbanding the NCPD & SCPD completely and starting from scratch. The current system has outlived it's practicality. Does anyone know if there is a precedent for this in New York State? I can't think of any other part of the state that even has County police forces.....so at some point it must have happened. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island