Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 AM

74 posts, read 199,122 times

Advertisements

I need to close by the end of the year for tax reasons. I will save about $10000. We verbally agreed to close by the end of the year (with bank approval), setting the closing date for the 15th as long as we allow the owner to stay xmas. Im worried the owner will delay until mid jan to avoid paying our mortgage/taxes even though they said they would close 2009. the contract is on or about which allows them to push it until jan 15th. My bank just approved the loan so i was wondering if there is anything i can threaten them with should they decide to start pushing things back to save a little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:53 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Oh boy.... if the contract "on or about" is on X... then they can be there till X and 30 more days as long as they can show something thats holding up. It can be minor too.... so all I am saying to you is plan ahead, and avoid future aggravation... I do not want to put a dampener on things, but there is a possibility that you may not be able to close this year.
If you are paying huge points to lower your rate, you can claim that on the 2010 return (that you file in 2011) too.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
yeah, sounds like you can push but can't force it.

If you were thinking about the first time home buyer or move up credits, you can apply it retroactively. Although tax payments and interest you can't

Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
yeah, sounds like you can push but can't force it.

If you were thinking about the first time home buyer or move up credits, you can apply it retroactively. Although tax payments and interest you can't

Well its really the $7000 first time home buyer credit. The points i can write off anytime. The issue is that I don't qualify for it however my fiance who will be 5050 on the house with me will. However next year when we are married and filing a joint tax return, she will not be able to. Im assuming that closing before we are married but in the same year will disqualify her. I guess i was hoping there were some shady things people do at the closing table I could do being that i hear about things like that all the time.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Why do people even put "on or ABOUT" in a contract?

Write the contracts with "on or BEFORE" ... take note all you homebuyers out there!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesscrappy View Post
Im worried the owner will delay until mid jan to avoid paying our mortgage/taxes even though they said they would close 2009.
I don't understand why they would have to pay your mortgage - after all it's not their mortgage - if you wouldn't be owning the house at that point. Also, the first half of RE taxes are due no later than January 10. After that there's an interest penalty. So there's no point in them holding up the closing for the taxes.

If you could clarify those points for me, that would help.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Well its really the $7000 first time home buyer credit. The points i can write off anytime. The issue is that I don't qualify for it however my fiance who will be 5050 on the house with me will. However next year when we are married and filing a joint tax return, she will not be able to. Im assuming that closing before we are married but in the same year will disqualify her. I guess i was hoping there were some shady things people do at the closing table I could do being that i hear about things like that all the time.
Unless it is a different program, you should be fine, Obama signed an extension into law in early November.

Quote:
President Obama signed an extension and expansion of the first-time homebuyers tax credit on Friday.

The $8,000 credit was scheduled to lapse on Dec. 1 but will now be in effect through the end of June. Homebuyers must sign a contract before April 30 and close by June 30. The income limits were also raised: Single buyers can now earn up to $125,000 and still get the full credit while a married couple can earn $225,000.
Homebuyers tax credit extended and expanded - Nov. 6, 2009

Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
I don't understand why they would have to pay your mortgage - after all it's not their mortgage - if you wouldn't be owning the house at that point. Also, the first half of RE taxes are due no later than January 10. After that there's an interest penalty. So there's no point in them holding up the closing for the taxes.

If you could clarify those points for me, that would help.
Well if we close on the 28th, they are legally allowed to stay in the house for 5 days. Any more than that and the contract states they need to start paying our mortgage +taxes daily. So being that they are allowed to stay until the 15th of january free of charge as long as they dont go into closing, there is a lot of incentive for them to push this thing back regardless of what they promised when the contract was signed.

Also the tax credit doesnt have anything to do with extentions. I currently make too much to qualify for it however my fiance doesn't so she can get it. However next year we are married and her salary will be added to mine and thats that.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Well if we close on the 28th, they are legally allowed to stay in the house for 5 days. Any more than that and the contract states they need to start paying our mortgage +taxes daily. So being that they are allowed to stay until the 15th of january free of charge as long as they dont go into closing, there is a lot of incentive for them to push this thing back regardless of what they promised when the contract was signed.

Also the tax credit doesnt have anything to do with extentions. I currently make too much to qualify for it however my fiance doesn't so she can get it. However next year we are married and her salary will be added to mine and thats that.
Not sure if this helps at all, but the income levels were increased as well $125,000 for single buyers, $225,000 for a married couple.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why do people even put "on or ABOUT" in a contract?

Write the contracts with "on or BEFORE" ... take note all you homebuyers out there!
"On or About" actually usually works in favor of the buyer. If it is "on or before" and you don't close by that date (assuming that you have already delivered your mortgage commitment) you are at risk of losing your down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island