Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:06 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I know I'm replying to an old thread and may sound like a grouchy, crusty old lady, but this is getting way out of hand. Maybe it's because everytime I try to film another one of my YouTube videos daily, the leaf blowers and lawn mowers are out in full effect and the noise is deafening. 7 days a week from around 7 a.m. to about 6:30 p.m., every day my neighbors landscapers are out.

I could understand if it was just once or twice a week, but it is EVERY SINGLE DAY morning, noon and night. The minute I step foot in my yard, every one of the adjacent yards going all the way down to the end of the street has landscapers with loud machines. When one truck pulls away, another one shows up. Doesn't anyone do their own lawns anymore?
Guess we have been lucky because in the four different neighborhoods we have lived in since the mid 1970s, the landscaping crew thing has never been EVERY day. We're talking neighborhoods with anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots, typical cooky cutter situations, not vast tracts of land, lol. Almost all the neighbors' crews showed up on Thursdays or Fridays, as did ours, the logic being that most people want their lawn looking its neatest for the weekend when they may have company etc. Occasionally there would be maybe one house's crew that showed up on a Wednesday but honestly I have never lived on a street where lawn guys were doing their thing on a weekend day.

I do get what you mean about the video camera picking up all ambient noise; I ran into that in the early 2000s when I was filming my garden renovation video. I didn't film on Thursday or Fridays because I knew the neighbors' crews were likely to show up, but on the other days the noise the mic picked up was far more of cars driving by (surprising, since it was a completely residential street), planes overhead, just general neighborhood background noise. I found traffic noise to be far more of a problem in video shooting than landscaper noise but maybe we were just lucky.

Our current neighborhood is 1/2 acre zoned. The people next door use the same lawn guy as we do, and so they do both yards on Thursday afternoon. They're done with both in less than a half hour. The guy next door has a riding mower/tractor and usually cuts on Saturday morning at about 9 a.m. He has a big lot (1.25 acres) but gets through it quickly and doesn't use a leaf blower. In the fall he vacuums up his leaves with the same machine; looks kind of like a Zamboni with that leaf collector attached to the back, LOL. Makes short work of things either way, which is good.

I've never EVER heard a lawn cutting crew in any of our neighborhoods show up before 9 a.m. When we had some trees cut down last year the guys said they would show up at 8 a.m. and so I told my neighbors ahead of time and apologized in advance if the crew had to start using the chain saws before 9 a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 12:17 PM

28 posts, read 33,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
First of all, I'm new to my neighborhood, moved in September.

I know... bigger problems in the world but three guys using leaf blowers outside my bedroom window at 7:30 AM this morning in the neighbors yard. I go out and tell them to give it a rest, it's too early. They wait till I go inside and fire up again... I go out again and they ask me what time the town says is OK... I said, I don't know, but I'm telling you 7:30 is too early. So, I take the name and number on the truck and figure i'll call the owner later and tell him he's gotta get his guys under control.

8AM, the owner knocks on my door and tells me he's heard I complained, but Huntington Town Ordinance lets him start at 8AM on Saturday so I should leave his guys alone. I said "Then why did you start at 7:30" and he told me to "check my clock, it was 7:45."

I'll have a talk with my neighbor... this is not a recurring problem... in fact, this is the first time I've noticed them doing any cleanup and it's end of the year... but in general, who would be happy about three leaf blowers outside your bedroom at 7:30AM? Am I just being a jerk here? I am pretty tired and cranky.
Why did this post just come back from 10 years ago? Anyway your a jerkoff, but so is the owner who came knocking. I work overnights so everything wakes me up, oh well, I deal. Hopefully you have been able to cope since you posted.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:28 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
would not bother me because as it is I live on a busy road and with all the noise from sunrise highway it would not affect me. I could sleep through an atomic bomb blast. LOL. I am a heavy sleeper.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyBgoode View Post
Why did this post just come back from 10 years ago? Anyway your a jerkoff, but so is the owner who came knocking. I work overnights so everything wakes me up, oh well, I deal. Hopefully you have been able to cope since you posted.
Post #18 is new.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 AM

718 posts, read 619,415 times
haha a summons lol try finding any cop on long island who will write that ticket. They wouldn't even know where to look up the code.

Heck by the time they show up the landscapers would be at the other end of town having lunch at the bodega.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Bottom line is if this bothers you along with every other noise that bothers nimby long islanders move to the middle of no where. Problem solved.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Bottom line is if this bothers you along with every other noise that bothers nimby long islanders move to the middle of no where. Problem solved.
That hardly solves the problem of excessive loud noise. It solves the problem for the individual, but that isn't the root of the issue. Same as considering the stupid-high taxes to be solved if you move, but what about for the incoming family taking their place? Still stupid-high taxes.

Bottom line, ban commercial blowers or limit their usage to the 5 minutes they are really needed per property rather than the 30 we often hear. I don't understand why they're blowing anything other than the driveway/sidewalk. It should be a quick job.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:28 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
I moved. Problem solved.
For many people, all the noises of suburban living are considered "normal".
Doesnt bother them. Mowers, blowers, cars, trains, planes, etc...all just part of burb life.
Not for me so I moved.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:12 AM

412 posts, read 289,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
That hardly solves the problem of excessive loud noise. It solves the problem for the individual, but that isn't the root of the issue. Same as considering the stupid-high taxes to be solved if you move, but what about for the incoming family taking their place? Still stupid-high taxes.

Bottom line, ban commercial blowers or limit their usage to the 5 minutes they are really needed per property rather than the 30 we often hear. I don't understand why they're blowing anything other than the driveway/sidewalk. It should be a quick job.
Agreed. And I own a gas backpack blower, and I maybe use it 5 to 7 times a year, and for short times when I do. I've considered selling it and getting a battery powered one now. My neighbor uses his gas backpack daily for 1+ hours. The whole lawn/property gets a daily blow from Sept thru Feb.

The fumes from an hour of using one if these things is something like a truck driving 1000 miles. My children then may as well be growing up on the side of an LA highway. That, plus the particulate feces, mold, heavy metals, etc, that are kicked up.

It's the idiot herd mentality. When I first moved in I admit I saw everyone had one and I got one...we live in a wooded area. But now I realize it's much better to just mulch the leaves into the lawn every so often. And most of the time I sweep the rest. No fumes, and I get to hear the birds chirp. The blower comes out only when I feel absolutely necessary. My yard looks great.

Would you believe the idiot asked me to clean my leaves more than the 1x per week I was already doing it? Should I quit my full time job or spend less time with my kids? And it's just leaves, people act like it's trash. 1x a week is already a lot...my yard is so neat.

Sorry, end of rant

Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 AM

412 posts, read 289,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I moved. Problem solved.
For many people, all the noises of suburban living are considered "normal".
Doesnt bother them. Mowers, blowers, cars, trains, planes, etc...all just part of burb life.
Not for me so I moved.
hotkarl, could you share where you moved to get away from annoying people? Somewhere on LI still?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island