Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 AM

90 posts, read 296,844 times

Advertisements

I live in the town of Smithtown and last Sunday I had to listen to 3 or 4 leaf blowers going next door for about 2.5 hours as I was putting up my Christmas lights.

I think there needs to be a law passed on these blowers, escpecially the commercial ones. I have also heard that some of the landscapers remove mufflers from there blowers because they are more powerful that way.

I can't believe with the state of the economy that so many people are still using landscapers. What a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 AM

20,278 posts, read 21,030,300 times
There are laws for this stuff. Check with the town.
Usually, it's no earlier than 8AM to begin any kind of noise-related work, construction. landscaping etc...It varies from town to town. Inc villages are usually the strictest.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 PM

341 posts, read 1,538,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
Does anyone else notice that he said "check the clock, it's 7:45".....which is STILL before 8 lol.

Anyway...15 minutes? huge deal? eh To each their own. If I'm new to a place, I try to not create as many waves until I know the neighbors and how they'll react.
I'm certainly not looking to make waves over a one time thing... but thing is, the guy was wrong about it being 8AM on a Saturday. It's 9AM on Saturday, Sunday or Holidays... so he started, even by his own count 1:15 early.

They're also not supposed to use the blower or mower for more than 1hr at a time. They were hammering away for more than two hours.

I was just looking for some common courtesy. I'll have a friendly chat with the neighbors, who might not even have been home for this.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM

90 posts, read 296,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I'm certainly not looking to make waves over a one time thing... but thing is, the guy was wrong about it being 8AM on a Saturday. It's 9AM on Saturday, Sunday or Holidays... so he started, even by his own count 1:15 early.

They're also not supposed to use the blower or mower for more than 1hr at a time. They were hammering away for more than two hours.

I was just looking for some common courtesy. I'll have a friendly chat with the neighbors, who might not even have been home for this.
Good Luck with the chat, I have found that(with my neighbors anyway)people just don't really care about there neighbors. This is not always true, but for me it seems to be the norm.

The common courtesy amongst us for the most part is gone.......

Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,125 times
Nobody likes to find out after the stress and hassle of moving that they've landed in the wrong place. Usually if you're new in the neighborhood you want to nip it in the bud right away and make sure the message is clear as to what bothers you, so that it hopefully doesn't continue. There's no time to wait. You could put better use to that waiting time and plan to move out, instead!

I agree with banning landscaping and everyone go back to maintaining their own property, better yet, ban their noisy equipment they use to make their job easier and quicker with little concern for the disturbance of the peace they cause.

When I lived next door to a business, landscaping crew would come sometimes twice a week with them heavy-duty tractor mowers which sounded like a mack truck was crashing into my walls for a couple hours... not to mention the continuous sounds of the leaf blower which at times looked like they were just sweeping the thing back and forth with nothing to blow; just creating unnecessary noise and toxic pollution. It was a nightmare for anyone who needs to sleep until 8:am for health reasons, I can tell you that.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 AM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
while i feell for you guys, and i do.
at least they do adventually stop.

so may long islanders are experiencing the "arc of doom", with planes landing at JFK, which is miles away, every 30 seconds for 20 hours a day for days and days on end.

talk about torture.

id take a leaf blower for a hopur or two any day......

Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 AM

20,278 posts, read 21,030,300 times
Welcome to suburbia.
These are the things you need to deal with when you live in a heavily populated area where everyone lives on top of each other.
It is what it is. Deal. Or move.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 AM

323 posts, read 200,990 times
I know I'm replying to an old thread and may sound like a grouchy, crusty old lady, but this is getting way out of hand. Maybe it's because everytime I try to film another one of my YouTube videos daily, the leaf blowers and lawn mowers are out in full effect and the noise is deafening. 7 days a week from around 7 a.m. to about 6:30 p.m., every day my neighbors landscapers are out.

I could understand if it was just once or twice a week, but it is EVERY SINGLE DAY morning, noon and night. The minute I step foot in my yard, every one of the adjacent yards going all the way down to the end of the street has landscapers with loud machines. When one truck pulls away, another one shows up. Doesn't anyone do their own lawns anymore? My husband works his a$# off and still mows our own lawn. The stench of gasoline is really bad too and those leaf blowers and lawn mowers sound like chainsaws.

I feel bad for my husband too because he works overnights and needs to get some sleep as soon as he gets home because he works 12 hour shifts. When I'm in the house I have to put the t.v. or radio on loud just to drown out the noise.

I'm done ranting and raving and know there is nothing I can do about it. I'm probably going to get called some names, told "deal with it or move" and made fun of, but this is beyond aggravating. Rant over. Just needed to vent, lol.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM

323 posts, read 200,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I have neighbors right next door to me that party into the wee hours of the night 2 or 3 nights a week. Many times on weeknights. A group of 20-somethings. Outside on their patio, year round. Doesn't matter how cold it gets. Very loud and rowdy.

So, what I do is, I keep a pile of cement from when I tore up and replaced my front walkway on the side of my house right next to their bedroom windows, and I begin jack-hammering the pile at roughly 6AM the morning after. They usually call it a night around 3 or 4AM. I like to give them an hour or so to really snuggle in and get comfy, just about when they are in a pleasant deep sleep, then I jack-hammer away.
Pay backs are a you-know-what.
Ha Ha! I think we live on the same block. My neighbor across the street has a teenage daughter who was throwing loud, drunken parties with at least 30-40 kids every Friday and Saturday night. My house was rocking from all the loud base and my dogs were barking all night. The kids would come outside drunk and stand on my lawn and proceed to throw up, leave alcohol bottles littered all over my lawn and my neighbors lawn too, and to add insult to injury, urinated on everyone's cars. The sad part is they live right next door to a dying elderly woman in home hospice care who needed to rest.

We talked to the girl's parents, and they promised it would stop, but it didn't. When the other neighbors and I called the police nothing was done because as soon as they left, the party would fire up again. The sad part was the parents were always home with her while this was going on and let their underaged daughter get drunk. I finally had enough and created my own water cannons. I put a bunch of sprinklers on the edge of my lawn and in the middle of my lawn which arched 20 feet up in the air. The blast of water stopped just shy of my neighbor across the street's front door. That solved the problem immediately. No more parties, and now I'm sort of a folk hero on the block, lol.

Last edited by dk1111; 08-29-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM

79 posts, read 104,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I know I'm replying to an old thread and may sound like a grouchy, crusty old lady, but this is getting way out of hand. Maybe it's because everytime I try to film another one of my YouTube videos daily, the leaf blowers and lawn mowers are out in full effect and the noise is deafening. 7 days a week from around 7 a.m. to about 6:30 p.m., every day my neighbors landscapers are out.

I could understand if it was just once or twice a week, but it is EVERY SINGLE DAY morning, noon and night. The minute I step foot in my yard, every one of the adjacent yards going all the way down to the end of the street has landscapers with loud machines. When one truck pulls away, another one shows up. Doesn't anyone do their own lawns anymore? My husband works his a$# off and still mows our own lawn. The stench of gasoline is really bad too and those leaf blowers and lawn mowers sound like chainsaws.

I feel bad for my husband too because he works overnights and needs to get some sleep as soon as he gets home because he works 12 hour shifts. When I'm in the house I have to put the t.v. or radio on loud just to drown out the noise.

I'm done ranting and raving and know there is nothing I can do about it. I'm probably going to get called some names, told "deal with it or move" and made fun of, but this is beyond aggravating. Rant over. Just needed to vent, lol.

I agree with you it's annoying, but no way there's enough houses around you where landscapers are powering away for 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Sounds a little dramatic and exaggerated to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island