Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 136,689 times

Advertisements

I am from Florida and my wife was originally from Long Island, but has been in Florida since the late 70's. We are planning on moving to Long Island within a year and have been researching neighboorhoods. My question:

What are the best Long Island neighborhoods for families and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 AM

138 posts, read 600,586 times
Well it really depends what you are looking for. How much you can afford also plays a part.
For families in a decent nice neighborhood I would suggest Manorville.
It's a growing neighborhood with a ton of families and a new High School.

The pricing is not cheap but not crazy either. You can probably find a home in the high 500's -600's.

Also in Suffolk County... Smithtown, St James, Bayport, Sayville, Babylon, Setauket, Miller Place, Mt Sinai
Nassas County, Garden City, Bethpage, Massapequa..

These are more populated.

On the higher scale more expensive housing. Nissequogue, Old Field, Head of Harbor, (more east... Quogue, Westhampton)
Nassau, Brookville, Old Westbury, Lattingtown.

It really depends what you are looking for.

Do you want to live near shopping, people, beaches, North shore, South shore etc.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 136,689 times
I want to be in an older established neighborhood. Price range 500-800,000. My first impression is Nassau county. We like to travel to the city and would like to be in a locale with the least hassles for this type of activity. Crime rate also plays a factor. I have heard that Nassau county has a lower crime rate. Do you know if this is true

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM

81 posts, read 349,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almosthere View Post
I want to be in an older established neighborhood. Price range 500-800,000. My first impression is Nassau county. We like to travel to the city and would like to be in a locale with the least hassles for this type of activity. Crime rate also plays a factor. I have heard that Nassau county has a lower crime rate. Do you know if this is true
Try Munsey Park..you should be able to squeeze a house out for around 8.
Older homes,good schools.and the lirr to the city is the best line out there.If you can keep up with the jones you should be ok

Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almosthere View Post
Floral Park- nice village with LIRR station Town pool Good schools

Stewart Manor also cute village with train station is next door to Floral Park. The section with Elmont schools is not as desirable as the small piece that goes to Graden City schools Town pool

Garden City should be able to get a smaller home in this village for your price, probably on the west end next to Stewart Manor-easily walkable to LIRR station. Excellent schools, parks, pool

These towns are also very close to NYC, just over the Queens line, but maybe less desirable than the above villages:

Franklin Square District 17 is good. Northern part of town is walkable to LIRR

Garden City South ,not related to Garden City, but rather, is almost a sister town of northern Franklin Square. THey go to district 17 as well.

New Hyde Park has become more diverse with the integration of people from INdia and Pakistan, but is still a good, safe clean neighborhood. THe village part of it is small (get to go to village pool) other parts ahve to go to town pool. Large area, not all of it is acessible to walk to LIRR station

All of these towns will fit your description and price range.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
Try Munsey Park..you should be able to squeeze a house out for around 8.

Have you looked in Munsey Park? In Munsey Park, you cannot even get a fixer upper for 800,000. We looked at a house that needed gutting....they were asking 1.3 and got over 1.1 for a house that needed gutting.

No way can you get a house in Munsey Park for 800,000. Has this been your experience? If so, fill me in b/c we love Munsey Park but it is out of our price range. Better bets are Port Washington (north shore), Floral Park Village, Garden City (certain sections for that price range), Stewart Manor (all more south shore/centralish). Why? Lots of families, pretty good to great schools, activities for kids, town pools, town centers with shopping, etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 AM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
Try the south shore of Long Island...Rockville Centre, Oceanside, Merrick. Literally 40 minutes to NYC on the railroad, beaches nearby, wonderful schools.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 111,368 times
I can't believe nobody mentioned Sea Cliff yet! Sea Cliff is quickly turning into the next Manhasset, but you can still get in there for under $800k...the taxe aren't that bad, yet, and the schools are excellent! The train line to NYC is really good with new double-decker trains and you're right next to the water. Next to Sea Cliff is Glen Head which shares the great high school as dows Glenwood Landing.

I agree whole-heartedly with the previous poster - Manahasset (Munsey Park, Plandome, Strathmore are villages within Manhasset) is way out of control. I grew up there and cannot believe the house prices and taxes are as crazy as they are. Easily a million plus for a small house that needs work. And if you can't kepp up with the Joneses, you'll be miserable.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 AM

216 posts, read 829,100 times
Believe it or not, you CAN buy a smaller home, or one that needs work in Port Washington or Great Neck.

I know, I've lived in Great Neck for 27 yrs, and not all the homes are in the mega million price range. Modest homes in this market are going for $800K and sometimes less. Most people do not live like kings and queens here.

My first home was a small colonial - we called it our doll house - yet it had 3 brs, 1 1/2 baths. There were plenty of homes to look at like it. Those are now going for $750-800K or less, depending on the condition and where it is located.

GN and Port Washington are on the same train line. Manhasset is too. It is the easiest and fastest into manhattan. Under half an hour into penn station.

Don't remember if you mentioned kids in your post, but if so, the GN peninsula is rife with all sorts of activities for kids; and a fabulous school district too.

G'luck

Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 203,787 times
Oceanside, my town, I must say is one of Long Island's bests. 98% of the children going to the school system graduate and go to college. There's basically no crime. The North shore has great neighborhoods too like Manhasset and Great Neck etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island