Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you hope wins the recount?
Mangano 24 64.86%
Suozzi 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

I voted against the incumbent.

If Mangano wins, I plan to watch him like a hawk, something I neglected to do with Suozzi for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Suozzi, the last thing we need during the current economic climate is someone who was a puppet of the guy who almost bankrupted the country during strong economic times.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
I hope Mangano wins as well. Suozzi has destroyed this once, safe, suburban county and turned it into his version of Glen Cove. Just like Glen Cove, we now have illegal aliens all over the place. We have higher crime, because Suozzi thinks having a strong, sophisticated police force is not a priority. We have high taxes, because Suozzi thinks Middle Class people dont deserve to live here, and only his rich friends and the illegal scum they hire do.
And his sense of planning is screwed up. Yeah, turn Nassau into "the city" but provide a lousy excuse for public transportation called Long Island Bus, which is STILL always late, jammed up with illegals, and undependable. I swear its quicker to walk than take those freakin buses.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I hope Mangano wins as well. Suozzi has destroyed this once, safe, suburban county and turned it into his version of Glen Cove. Just like Glen Cove, we now have illegal aliens all over the place. We have higher crime, because Suozzi thinks having a strong, sophisticated police force is not a priority. We have high taxes, because Suozzi thinks Middle Class people dont deserve to live here, and only his rich friends and the illegal scum they hire do.
And his sense of planning is screwed up. Yeah, turn Nassau into "the city" but provide a lousy excuse for public transportation called Long Island Bus, which is STILL always late, jammed up with illegals, and undependable. I swear its quicker to walk than take those freakin buses.

Ehh crime is down and 2/3 of the county portion of the Property Tax bill goes to the police......

Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Ehh crime is down and 2/3 of the county portion of the Property Tax bill goes to the police......
I dont think crime is down, those numbers are fudged and also dont account for all the crime in the illegal immigrant community which is rarely reported.
And if 2/3 of the property tax goes toward police, how come Suozzi thinks we dont need a gang unit?
I've seen this county change ALOT for the worse. I dont need numbers, I see grafitti, illegals, and the change in the streets here in Nassau.
Tom Suozzi thinks every place should be like Glen Cove, well, Tom and his family should stay there instead of messing up other places.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Does it really make a difference?

Without MAJOR wholesale changes to govt union contracts, consolidation of services, reduction in the number of administrators in school districts, and getting some real businesses to set up shop in Nassau, changing Supervisors will be like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,313 times
Rooting for Mangano!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,514,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I dont think crime is down, those numbers are fudged and also dont account for all the crime in the illegal immigrant community which is rarely reported.
And if 2/3 of the property tax goes toward police, how come Suozzi thinks we dont need a gang unit?
I've seen this county change ALOT for the worse. I dont need numbers, I see grafitti, illegals, and the change in the streets here in Nassau.
Tom Suozzi thinks every place should be like Glen Cove, well, Tom and his family should stay there instead of messing up other places.
What proof do you have that the numbers are fudged, or that crime has increased? You can't possibly claim to know more about what the state of criminal activity is in the ENTIRETY of Nassau County than the law enforcement professionals, scientists and statisticians who come up with the allegedly "fudged" numbers....if only for the simple reason that you have no idea what's going on in Nassau County aside from the few areas you travel through on a daily basis. How would you know if crime has increased in Massapequa or decreased in Cedarhurst? Do you go into these neighborhoods every single day and observe criminal activity, then document your findings and statistically compare it to mountains of data from the past 50 years?

Let's take a look at Nassau County through the eyes of Johninwestbury: anyone who has been around this message board and been privy to your nonsensical banter for the last two years knows that your whole sob story begins in MY hood.....North Wantagh, a nice middle class suburb with virtually no crime, good schools and no minorities. I'm gonna assume you were privledged enough to be raised in such an environment by hard working parents or grandparents - but at some point (don't know when or why) you traded that meal ticket for a new one and were placed in fancy new public assistance digs in one of the more working class neighborhoods directly off Post Avenue in Westbury. Now, Westbury is in most respects a fine place to live....some parts even quite upscale....but the schools stink and small pockets are home to large numbers of recently arrived immigrant minority groups. The immediate vicinity of Post Avenue is also a higher density urban environment with more urban problems. To top it all off, unlike 99% of Long Islanders, you have to walk everywhere and rely on public transportation where you cross paths with a disproportionately higher number of low-income bracket NC residents on a daily basis than most of us will in our lifetimes....

Now you tell me what is more likely:

A) Going from living in a nice, middle class suburban area to being on welfare, physically trapped in a less than desirable neighborhood and surrounded by poverty has, PERHAPS, skewed your viewpoint a bit...

or

B) Thousands of municipalities, media outlets and layers of government (from the local village court to the FBI) have fudged several decades of criminal data to lull people into a false sense of security....a conspiracy the size and scale of which would be on par with something out of The X-Files mythology episodes...

Personally, I'm pretty confident that crime actually has decreased - or at the absolute worst stayed the same - over the last 20 years.

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 11-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: country grammar

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 AM

44 posts, read 130,043 times
Well said Sean ... and don't forget about those damn airplanes !

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,420 times
Crime reporting is fudged. I am pretty sure the stabbing in Garden city will be swept under the carpet so the place can report a stellar crime statistic in the FBI records.. If a stabbing a week is low crime, I cannot imagine how high crime must have been before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island