Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,850 times

Advertisements

For two days in a row, channel 2, CBS, have had stories in the news about the Heroin problem in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, in Long Island, and have outlined the many young lives lost to this scourge, in those counties. It breaks my heart to hear about beautiful, young people losing their lives of overdoses.

We had a similar problem in our street sometime ago. I remember that between a certain hour, while I was walking my dog, I will see cars cruising a certain corner, talking to some kids from the neighborhood, and I began to get suspicious about what was taking place right under my nose. So I began to watch them, and taking their license plates, without they seeing me writing. This went on for a while, and I began to find small plastic bags on the ground.

I spoke to some of my neighbors, and we all began to watch the action, one of us at a time, not to look suspicious. Then we met with the local police, and gave them all the license plates. The police began to come around in UNMARKED CARS, and BINGO the dealer was caught, and put in jail where he belongs. Now, there is not a car in that street from the outside.

I think the mistake many parents make is that they feel that because their kids is in the corner of a residential area, he/she is safe, BUT THE CANDY MAN IS COMING TO THE FRONT DOOR................................... NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,455 times
I couldn't imagine living in a place like that. I guess down here in Florida things are pretty sheltered (minus the greater Miami area).

You are very right though!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I couldn't imagine living in a place like that. I guess down here in Florida things are pretty sheltered (minus the greater Miami area).

Actually the laws and punishments are tougher in Florida and even if you are not personally a drug dealer, if one is living in your home with your or riding in your car with you, YOU can be charged as one too and sent off to jail.

I heard a story about someone's coworker in Florida. The coworker was a success story ... raised herself up from welfare mother to nurse's aide to an LPN (or FL equivalent) to RN (or FL equivalent). She got lonely and got a boyfriend. Boyfriend moves in. Boyfriend deals drugs out of her home. Police arrest boyfriend. Police show up at her workplace and take her away in handcuffs. She loses her job and goes to jail.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
It breaks my heart to hear about beautiful, young people losing their lives of overdoses.
Honestly, I don't have much sympathy for them (unless someone held them captive and shot heroin into them until they were addicts).

How many DECADES has it been that HEROIN has been known as dangerous, highly addictive, and liable to kill a person?

If they are too stupid to heed warnings like that, they probably wouldn't have been much good to the world anyway. Their early death is a blessing. There is no excuse for becoming a heroin addict. They are personally responsible for their actions. I feel much more sorry for their families who have to put up with them.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Dear, we are talking here about a neighborhood that each home costs a MILLION DOLLARS OR MORE.........................

AND I have lived in Florida, and KNOW Florida, NORTH, SOUTH, EAST AND WEST................and it is loaded with drugs, also. Not only Miami, but Fort Myers, Sarasota, West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, Panama City, Bradenton, Tampa.............drugs are everywhere..................but now, the CANDY MAN is coming to our front doors..........................and he/she is in every HIGH SCHOOL. ...............................

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM

[quote=I_Love_LI_but;10889800]Honestly, I don't have much sympathy for them (unless someone held them captive and shot heroin into them until they were addicts).

How many DECADES has it been that HEROIN has been known as dangerous, highly addictive, and liable to kill a person?

If they are too stupid to heed warnings like that, they probably wouldn't have been much good to the world anyway. Their early death is a blessing. There is no excuse for becoming a heroin addict. They are personally responsible for their actions. I feel much more sorry for their families who have to put up with them.[/quo

Do YOU have children? Have you ever heard of peer pressure? Are you aware of the fact that many young people that succumb to drugs are introduced to them INNOCENTLY by their boyfriends or girlfriends? And even though they may know about the dangerousness of the drug, they may fall PREY to it because they want to fit in? Have YOU ever heard of the word VULNERABILITY?

I AM PERPLEXED at your comments................

Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
[quote=RUBIES77;10891419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Honestly, I don't have much sympathy for them (unless someone held them captive and shot heroin into them until they were addicts).

If they are too stupid to heed warnings like that, they probably wouldn't have been much good to the world anyway. Their early death is a blessing. There is no excuse for becoming a heroin addict. They are personally responsible for their actions. I feel much more sorry for their families who have to put up with them.[/quo

Do YOU have children? Have you ever heard of peer pressure? Are you aware of the fact that many young people that succumb to drugs are introduced to them INNOCENTLY by their boyfriends or girlfriends? And even though they may know about the dangerousness of the drug, they may fall PREY to it because they want to fit in? Have YOU ever heard of the word VULNERABILITY?

I AM PERPLEXED at your comments................
I actually agree with ILoveLIBut...

If a person doesn't want to give into peer pressure, they wont. It is their own stupid fault for doing so.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM

99 posts, read 272,626 times
I dont understand why this is such a huge issue now. People have been doing heroin for years. The real scourge is that kids I know are doing Oxycontins and stuff like that, and they graduate to heroin because it is actually cheaper and more effective. This has also been going on for a long time, and law enforcement is focused on weed and coke. The kids are starting on Prescription painkillers. They need to stop that. I have never met anyone that just started with heroin, all heroin users I have known have started with pills first. Stop the pills and you stop the heroin.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah instead you got people doing METH! That is even worse! Nobody does meth around here really.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

If they are too stupid to heed warnings like that, they probably wouldn't have been much good to the world anyway. Their early death is a blessing. There is no excuse for becoming a heroin addict. They are personally responsible for their actions. I feel much more sorry for their families who have to put up with them.

Yeah but do they know that the stuff in their parents drug cabinet is bad? Because kids do not start doing heroin until they are already addicted to opiates via Oxys and percocets etc. Also that Heroin addict is not only destroying themselves. It is not like people contracting AIDS or something. This heroin addict will rob you, your home, your car etc and do anything to get that crap. I know first hand, I know plenty of people who died from that stuff and stole even from their own family to feed to habit. The problem here is we let the prescription drug abuse get out of hand.

Now suddenly the news picks up on heroin and all the people that have no idea what goes on in schools or the street are like OMG heroin. This has been brewing for probably 7 or 8 years. That is when prescription pain killers really started getting abused on long island and that is when opiate addiction really took hold. Now the cops, DEA etc finally started tackling prescription pain killer abuse and drove the street price way up to the point that heroin is much cheaper. We had this coming for a long time and opiate abuse has been bad for ages now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island