Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
They make their money in a fair way

I had 3 close personal friends that died in THE LINE OF DUTY one in TOWER 2 on 9/11. I've been personally stabbed, shot at, hit by a drunk driver,beat up by a gang and had numerous surgeries. This doesn't not include the 20+ line of duty funerals I have attended. I led teams that made over 1,000 felony arrests a year and have put my share of criminals away for 20-life. How many guns and drugs have AROD and the actors taken off the streets??? How many 911 calls have they answered??????????? How many lives have they saved, how many times have they risked their own lives to protect you? How many holidays have they spent away from their families because they have to go to work?????? I could go on forever but what's the point, people only see $$ signs not what goes along with it....

THEY make their money the fair way. Give me a break...... call 911 when your in trouble and we'll see who shows up.............
What do you think a cop in Brooklyn makes? Or how about about an enlisted guy in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
My neighbors make a lot more than that....... do I care, no! I never complain what anyone makes, if it's the profession those choose so be it.
Yeah your right take the test and join, than maybe you wouldn't complain.
Do you pay your neighbor's salary?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Default No Kiddin' Cap'n Obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoofonfiya View Post
Most LI cops earn more than $100,000 annually

How can this be? The average cop makes just under $140k a year?!?!

How/ when/ why did this happen? I had heard that they make a good salary but $140k is extreme.

What can we do about this? I'm sooooo angry right now

The government just keeps getting bigger and bigger while I cut back to make ends meat! This is just insane!!

"If youre not outraged....youre not paying attention"

Ok here we go again.

Everyone whine, then send in PBA spin guys to crash the thread.
Find some moron to take their bait and ultimately get the thread locked down.

The irony is that were none safer and LI is ripe with Heroin and gangs.
(You know, the reasons our parents left Brooklyn.)

Its an effing travesty and it really hurts to sit down these days.
Somedays its hard to tell the cops from the robbers.

Crooks

Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Why not blame the politicians who negotiated the Contract. It is the duty of the Police Union to get their members what they can get. By the way, how much is a dead policeman worth to you ? Next time your robbed call A-Rod

Old 09-19-2009, 03:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
What, now that you find out they make more than you thought, you won't support them now? If they made 70,000 would you support them twice as much?
If you had followed any of the PD vs teacher threads, you would have noticed I defended the LEOs out there.

As the child of a Ret NYPD, I share some of the bias with you. My father and his fellow NYPD officers were never even remotely compensated anywhere near the figures listed in the article. Growing up in a PD household, I swore I would never marry a cop. Poor pay, lousy hours, dangerous conditions. Having your heart in your throat when a news bulletin would flash across the TV: Cop shot. Never knowing if when daddy walked out the door it would be the last time you see him. Christmas morning, Thanksgiving, Easter, birthdays without him.

My dad was in some lousy houses during some terrible times in NYC. We had a book written sometime in the early 70's titled something like My Dad is a Policeman. It showed the mundane and heroic aspects of police work as well as having a section in which to prepare a cop's child for the possibility of his death. Gives ya warm fuzzies, doesn't it? Please don't ever question my support of the PD.

You are living off the NY taxpayers dime, pumping NY taxpayers money into another state. Tell me, if PO Goober and his buddies in your town/county were suddenly making over $100K and your taxes started rising to LI levels, what would you do? Defend them, or leave that town (like you did LI) in search of a cheaper place to live?

Those of us who remain here paying ever increasing taxes, watching PD salaries rise beyond the COL while we do not see raises, have every right to decide whether or not we wish to continue supporting highly compensated County Police. To add insult to injury, their salaries will be subject to the MTA tax which will be passed on to -- drum roll -- the tax payers.

While you've listed a litany of that which you allege to have experienced, there are just as many desk jockey cops earning quite a nice buck. Sorry, but SCPD doesn't see the crime NYPD does. If anyone should be making more money, it's the men and women of the NYPD.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends in the WTC. My friend, PO Eddie Byrne, was assassinated while he watched a drug informant's house.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:20 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Hi OBH.
The "PO Goober" remark was uncalled for. The cops down here in Central VA are not hayseeds and do a darn fine professional job for a lot less than the SCPD.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Why does this upset you so much??? When you put your life on the line day in and day out, you deserve it. You know what I hate ....A guy like Alex Rodriguez makes 30,000,000 and actors make 15,000,000 a film that's ridiculous.........
The difference is money paid to A-rod and actors isn't being forcibly taken away from ordinary citizens in the form of non-negotiable (pay the taxes we assess you or you go to jail or lose your property) TAXES. We are not paying overly compensated famous people huge amounts out of our tax money against our will.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:29 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
On another thread there was a lot of agreement saying that middle class on LI is between $125k-$150k. If that is so, then we are paying our cops a middle class wage. Doesn't a cop deserve a middle class wage?

I don't get the outrage and hostility?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Hi OBH.
The "PO Goober" remark was uncalled for. The cops down here in Central VA are not hayseeds and do a darn fine professional job for a lot less than the SCPD.
Well, many low tax paradises start their cops off at MINIMUM WAGE and they never achieve 6 figures even if spending their entire career on the force. You are not going to get any geniuses who can do a professional job that way so I don't support that way of doing things either.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:31 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island