Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

We looked at a house on Park Place in Lynbrook which seems to be within walking distance to the LIRR. What do people think of the area around the train station? Is this a nice walking community? We have 2 year old twins and want to be in an area where we can walk with the stroller to get milk, go to the pharmacy or get a cup of coffee and a bagel on a Sunday morning.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

153 posts, read 606,331 times
My Wife lived in Lynbrook all her life. It's a pretty good town. There are problem there like anywhere else. A few years ago a man was killed by some gang members walking home from the train station at night, but I doubt the gang members were FROM lynbrook. A lot of good people in lynbrook, very good school district, great police department. Of course always been smart bout your surroundings and you should be fine.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lynbrook

sa499, in case you were not already aware, there are places that have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address (1,549 acres) that are not in the Village of Lynbrook (1,290 acres), as well as there are places in the Village of Lynbrook with other than a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Lynbrook:

Lynbrook is a village (incorporated in 1911) in the central part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lynbrook is bordered on the north by the Village of Malverne and the Hamlet of North Lynbrook; on the east by the Hamlet of Lakeview and the Village of Rockville Centre; on the south by the Village of East Rockaway and the Hamlet of Hewlett; and, on the west by the Village of Valley Stream.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Lynbrook-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of Lynbrook has a different border than does the "Lynbrook, NY 11563" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lynbrook and a place can be in the Village of Lynbrook and have other than a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address): places that have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lynbrook are in the Hamlet of North Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Hewlett; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lynbrook that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,294 times
I grew up in Lynbrook off of Peninsula blvd. I liked living there. There were only a few things I didnt like. You could not park on the street over night and there are meters every where. It is a village and they have a lot of rules. The pluses are that there are a lot of stores and mostly everything is in walking distance

Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

228 posts, read 810,284 times
Lynbrook is a village so their pretty nuts about Parking. But the area around the train station is pretty walkable. Theirs a movie theater, some restaurants, some shops. Pretty cool place.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 PM

126 posts, read 332,271 times
we are buying a house in Lynbrook. looked for over 3 years and have lived in nyc for 5. we are excited about the community because it feels suburban but with a little bit of an urban demeanor. we have a toddler and i am used to walking everywhere. we like the village of lynbrook (from what we saw) and that it is close to rvc. goodluck!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
They still have that TCBY in Phipps Plaza?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM

467 posts, read 713,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
They still have that TCBY in Phipps Plaza?
I remember when I lived in Hewlett I'd go to Pizza UNO and TCBY all of the time by the LIRR. Lynbrook is pretty walkable compared to other villages, just a lot of restrictions and hard to get parking because of all the rules, as stated before.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:31 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,128 times
I've been living here since Christmas. The overnight parking thing is a drag if you have company but we have a decent driveway so it hasn't really been a problem. I think its definitely a walkable town. We have sidewalks which I know isn't always the case in Suffolk. The meters that people mentioned are not that bad- I'm from Brooklyn originally - I was surprised (pleasantly) that you could use nickels and dimes in most. You'll need a commuter parking pass for the train station lots (if you don't want to walk in bad weather) but its reasonable - $100/year. However the yearly pass ends March 31st so you may wind up paying the full price for less than a year depending on when you buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island