Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 35,173 times

Advertisements

We are a military family who may be moving to 223 E. Wheeler, Garden City, New York. Google maps show these gorgeous, colonial brick houses...after a little on-line research I realized there is Garden City and East Garden City and the military housing is probably in the East section. And our house will probably not be a million dollar colonial.

Does anyone know if this address is on a gated military base? What does it look like? Is it in a safe area? I've read horror stories about the gangs and drug activity trolling the borders!

We are currently in Japan, have two children - a toddler and an elementary school child, so I am concerned about the schools in the area as well. I might go for my PhD, so I'm happy to hear there are many universities in the area.

Thank you for any information.

N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,523,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadolce View Post
We are a military family who may be moving to 223 E. Wheeler, Garden City, New York. Google maps show these gorgeous, colonial brick houses...after a little on-line research I realized there is Garden City and East Garden City and the military housing is probably in the East section. And our house will probably not be a million dollar colonial.

Does anyone know if this address is on a gated military base? What does it look like? Is it in a safe area? I've read horror stories about the gangs and drug activity trolling the borders!

We are currently in Japan, have two children - a toddler and an elementary school child, so I am concerned about the schools in the area as well. I might go for my PhD, so I'm happy to hear there are many universities in the area.

Thank you for any information.

N.
Welcome back from Japan! I was stationed in Yokosuka for awhile after 9/11 and absolutely loved it. I do not live in Garden City so take all of this with a grain of salt!

If the housing you speak of is where I think it is, then I don't believe it is gated. I have driven through there a number of times and never saw a sentry gate. There is a small commissary...probably within walking distance in case you weren't aware of that (although to be honest you'd be better making the trek to the much larger commissary at Ft. Hamilton near the Varranzano Bridge).

There is a lot of stuff to do close to where you'll be living in terms of shopping and LI history (museum row is right there). It's pretty neat.

Hopefully your movers treat you well!!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,163 times
The military housing you're talking about is part of what was once upon a time Mitchel Field, an army air corps facility. It is not a gated facility. The housing is located in East Garden City, an unincorporated area of the Town of Hempstead. Most of the base buildings have been taken over by the local community college. The housing you're looking at is, I believe, officers' quarters and is a collection of large brick colonials. They are, for the most part, fairly old, and not as well maintained as they were years ago.

In the not-to-distant past the facility had a base theater, a commissary and an exchange. The exchange may be the only thing left. I believe that the local school district for that area is East Meadow. The housing complex is located near major shopping and there are a number of museums (Cradle of Aviation, Children's, Fire) adjacent to the community college property (great for kids) and within walking distance. Eisenhower Park, a 300 plus acre county park, is right down the road, also within walking distance.

All-in-all, there's not much of a military presence there or in the area. The Marine Corps has a small facility down the road. As far as "gang" activity, this is not a high crime area. Further west, the Village of Hempstead has a significant crime problem as do some parts Uniondale, also nearby.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 35,173 times
Thanks for your response.

Yes, it is the brick colonials - I pulled up a pic on Google Earth. Any idea about crime in that area? Is the housing area guarded? We have small children and are really concerned about safety in the area.

My husband would be working in the Marine Corp facility you mentioned.

N.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadolce View Post
Thanks for your response.

Yes, it is the brick colonials - I pulled up a pic on Google Earth. Any idea about crime in that area? Is the housing area guarded? We have small children and are really concerned about safety in the area.

My husband would be working in the Marine Corp facility you mentioned.

N.
Crime in that particular area is generally not a big problem. The proximity to the college (you share the facility with them) and the 35,000 students that use it could create some minor crime issues for you (petty theft, vandalism, etc.). Years ago, the DOD police patrolled the area, but I don't know what the current status is. As I said, access to the housing area is not restricted, save for a few concrete barriers designed to keep traffic out of the area.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 AM

654 posts, read 2,123,315 times
I know that specifc area well. It is nothing like the traditional Garden City. You are basically your own community there. The community blends into Nassau COmmunity College on the East end which can be nice to go walking through. These homes are not updated. Some people living there seem to go out of their way to make their property pretty while others treat it as a rental and do nothing. You are right near the mall which is a plus.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM

66 posts, read 232,832 times
You will be fine.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,722,114 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City

carolinadolce, https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Plugging in "223 East Wheeler", "Garden City" and "New York" into the Census Bureau's online address search function, confirms that that this address is in East Garden City (CDP = hamlet) and in the Uniondale Union Free School District.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...districts.html provides an explanation of the different types of school districts in New York State.

For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City:

East Garden City is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the south by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Village of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead and the Village of Garden City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of East Garden City has a different border than does the "East Garden City, NY" ZIP Code postal zone, and in this case there is no "East Garden City, NY" postal zone: places in the Hamlet of East Garden City have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Westbury, NY 11590", "Uniondale, NY 11553" and "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address.

Here are some well-known places that are in the Hamlet of East Garden City:

Cradle of Aviation Museum, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Fortunoff, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Hofstra University Dorms, East Garden City (Hempstead P.O.)
Mall at The Source, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Nassau County Community College, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum, East Garden City (Uniondale P.O.)
Roosevelt Field, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 08-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Headquarters 1st Marine Corps District, the Marine Corps Reserve Training Center and the Marine Corps Recruiting Station, located at 605 Stewart Avenue is to the west of the Hamlet of East Garden City, and just within the Village of Garden City.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

carolinadolce, for things to do on Lawn Guyland, here are two sites that offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

And, li4kids, is especially for the kinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island