Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

Ok, a few things need to be addressed here...

What the OP is asking is perfectly reasonable...I can tell some of the people responding have never been in a IR relationship, at least not with a black woman.

My boyfriend is white and I am black and I spend the majority of the time in his place in a predominantly Italian American/Greek American neighborhood. It is very insular. We are stared at by neighbors and I am watched by the woman across the street constantly when I'm going back and forth. One time I was hurrying to catch the bus, and the neighbors informed him of a "black woman running out your place," and should they have called the authorities. He was like, "Um, that's my girlfriend, she's been around here for a while."

I've gone back and forth to the gas station and I get followed by cars and men offering me 'rides', for a while I wasn't sure why, but now I suspect people think I'm a prostitute. It's to the point I don't even feel comfortable walking around there anymore unless I'm with my boyfriend.

If we were getting a place together, I wouldn't want it to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
This is being discussed to death. THERE IS NO RACIAL DIVERSITY ON LI. Simple really.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarter_than_U View Post
It goes both ways... I'm sure a white family moving into a "black" neighborhood would cause some less than positive comments as well. The fact is a couple of comments amongst people does not equate to a lynching. Everywhere you go there will be ignorant jerks who don't like you for a myriad of reasons not including race - that's life. The better question the OP could have asked is where is an area they will be accepted. There are plenty of "white" neighborhoods that would be perfectly accepting of anybody of good character moving into their neighborhood. By specifically asking for diversity, the OP is basically calling white people racists. Reverse racism does exist and is alive and well.
Dude...when did anyone escalate this debate with lynching references?? Take it down a notch. You do not think the OP's question and tone where basically the same as asking for an area where they will be "accepted"? You took the term diversity and ran it into a socio-political fillibuster about reverse racism. Their question was reasonable and tactful. To say the OP is essentially calling white people racists is ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
This is being discussed to death. THERE IS NO RACIAL DIVERSITY ON LI. Simple really.
(golf clap). Way more succinct than me.

This is not true though...Azzur and the smarter than u guy apparently live in some sort of alternate plane...(sorry, I realize that was not constructive). Agree to disagree I suppose.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM

20 posts, read 17,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
(golf clap). Way more succinct than me.

This is not true though...Azzur and the smarter than u guy apparently live in some sort of alternate plane...(sorry, I realize that was not constructive). Agree to disagree I suppose.
This isn't a question of racial diversity (or shouldn't be), it's a question of acceptance. What area's of LI would this couple feel like they would not be accepted?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
This isn't a question of racial diversity (or shouldn't be), it's a question of acceptance. What area's of LI would this couple feel like they would not be accepted?
Maybe you should walk down the street with a black woman and try to find out.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 17,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Maybe you should walk down the street with a black woman and try to find out.
Again, what areas of LI would this couple feel like they were not accepted?

And how do you know I haven't had a black girlfriend?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Again, what areas of LI would this couple feel like they were not accepted?
I am not terribly familiar with Long Island outside of Nassau County, but commonsense tells me if I don't feel comfortable walking up and down with my boyfriend in certain sections of Queens, there's nothing exceptional about Long Island that would cause it to be very different.

My sister and her husband (who is white) say that they are often uncomfortably stared at in Quogue (where his family owns a summer place), but I've only been out there once.

Quote:
And how do you know I haven't had a black girlfriend?
Well have you? I'd bet my bottom dollar not, since you have such a head in the sand assessment of what it's like for interracial black-white couples.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:32 AM

11 posts, read 30,937 times
Has anybody really, I mean really, taken a good listen to the news lately? When there is a crime committed there is a suspect usually described but the news, especially NY1 [I live in Queens], "conveniently" "fails" to utter if the person is white or black, they just give a description of a person male or female, tall, short, etc. or brown eyes and hair color. They fail to mention the skin color of the person. Now, how they hell is someone supposed to properly look for someone with those lame descriptions? I would say mentioning the skin color is an important descriptive part of the suspect. Wouldn't you? I actually think the media is afraid of being sued if they mention it is a black man. Why? Because of people like Al Sharpton, so I will be so glad to move to a neighborhood where people who are like me. There are a lot of good people in all races, and a lot of bad people in all races as well. But you can only go by statistics of communities of when you choose to buy a home and settle there. You want to feel safe where you move to. I think safety, regardless of ethnicity, is the most important aspect of finding a place to live. If you are wondering what I am, yes I am white, and so what, at least I am honest.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela123 View Post
Has anybody really, I mean really, taken a good listen to the news lately? When there is a crime committed there is a suspect usually described but the news, especially NY1 [I live in Queens], "conveniently" "fails" to utter if the person is white or black, they just give a description of a person male or female, tall, short, etc. or brown eyes and hair color. They fail to mention the skin color of the person. Now, how they hell is someone supposed to properly look for someone with those lame descriptions? I would say mentioning the skin color is an important descriptive part of the suspect. Wouldn't you? I actually think the media is afraid of being sued if they mention it is a black man. Why? Because of people like Al Sharpton, so I will be so glad to move to a neighborhood where people who are like me. There are a lot of good people in all races, and a lot of bad people in all races as well. But you can only go by statistics of communities of when you choose to buy a home and settle there. You want to feel safe where you move to. I think safety, regardless of ethnicity, is the most important aspect of finding a place to live. If you are wondering what I am, yes I am white, and so what, at least I am honest.

In Nassau and Suffolk, generally speaking blacks live in black neighborhoods and whites live in white neighborhoods. There is no diversity. Now, there are exceptions of course, like the fact that many black families live in what are (Or were) white neighborhoods but this is simply a matter of affordability-the black family is able to afford living in a typical white neighborhood.
I believe that for the most part, the white/black thing is more a class structure thing than a race thing on LI. Queens may be a different story though.
I think an interacial couple can walk around in most LI neighborhoods mostly unnoticed but I have no proof of this. I never tried it myself.

Al Sharpton is one of my favorite people simply because he is such a swindler and certain people adore him. I like this kind of stuff. He has done more harm to race relations than good and his entire career is based on a lie. That's a fact; Tawana Brawley was never assaulted.
Al Sharpton never learned one thing: just because people can't say it doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island