Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times

Advertisements

As a resident of the wantagh, bellmore, merrick area, I would recommend it.

Really depends on what you mean by good money.

baldwin, VS, Hicksville are ok, but I wouldn't say great. again depends on what you can afford and what you need.

I would tend to agree that some of the more working class areas are more prejudicial or excluding than some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 AM

20 posts, read 17,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Actually, I'm the son of Italian immigrants who came to the US in the 60's. I have a rich background of experiences, but apparently I'm "just another white dude from Garden City" to many on these boards. Luckily, I don't slot people into categories based on their skin color. The US is one of the few countries in the world where we are obsessed with "labeling" people right away. I actually feel sad for people that think diversity is just limited to racial makeup. They are closing their eyes to all the different viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds that we all have.

The people of Baldwin or Hicksville aren't any better or worse than the people in Garden City or Massapequa because of the statistical demographics of their town. Perhaps this is Pollyanic of me or perhaps this is an enlightened view of the world. I like to think it's the latter.

Afterall, if we were to judge cities on racial demographics, many of the world's major metro areas which are almost entirely homogenous would be depressing pits with nothing to offer. How presumptuous of us.
I agree with you 100%. I tend to find that those people who actively seek "diversity" and are always thinking about it tend to be the racists. The point in time where race is completely irrelevant to everything (good or bad) is when we finally end racism. Fanning the flames on both ends (avoiding diversity versus "desperately seeking it") only keeps racism alive.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarter_than_U View Post
I agree with you 100%. I tend to find that those people who actively seek "diversity" and are always thinking about it tend to be the racists. The point in time where race is completely irrelevant to everything (good or bad) is when we finally end racism. Fanning the flames on both ends (avoiding diversity versus "desperately seeking it") only keeps racism alive.
But you and azzur are white (I am presuming in your case) and although you have what you view to be an enlightened view of utopian diversity (where it is NEVER even discussed) the fact is it is very easy to take that ivory tower stance when you are at zero risk of being made uncomfortable due to your background. And your stance ignores the actual world somebody who is part of an interracial couple (like the OP) lives in. They are not house hunting in your well-intentioned but non-existent fantasy land. Their request for diverse recommendations is a valid and necessary question. It is not veiled racism. And unless they can live and shop with yourself and Azzur as their neighbors they need to practically consider communities where diversity is more common, and seemingly more comfortable for their family. Long Island is virtually segregated by train stop. Anybody who thinks otherwise and would like to dismiss or label the inquiry of an interracial couple as some sort of reverse racism are not being rational.
And are most likely caucasian...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
But you and azzur are white (I am presuming in your case) and although you have what you view to be an enlightened view of utopian diversity (where it is NEVER even discussed) the fact is it is very easy to take that ivory tower stance when you are at zero risk of being made uncomfortable due to your background.
So white people are never made uncomfortable due to their background? Who's living in a fantasy world now?

Last edited by smarter_than_U; 08-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Jrprofess

Yes, LI is segregated for historical reasons, but your type of thinking will keep it segregated for much much longer. Let's take apart some of the assumptions of your post.

1. You assume that a bi-racial couple will be the victim of racism in a predominantly white neighborhood, and therefore they should look to live in a town with the requisite number of people of their own racial makeup.

In today's day and age, nothing could be further from the truth. Most of society is walking on eggshells and lives in fear of even slightly offending someone because of their race. We have a bi-racial President and our television, movies, and advertisements are carefully scrutinized to include the "proper" amount of racial makeup. Think I'm joking? Advertisers spend millions to get their ads just right. Corporate HR departments and college admission departments spend countless hours on determining what they need to do to meet certain of their own imposed quotas. City governments throw out legitimate test results for promotion because not enough minorities passed a test that was specially formulated to be unbias. This is our society today. You may like some of these practices or you may not. But, they are alive and well.

The world has changed if you haven't noticed. The OP will not be lynched if she moves her family to GC or Massapequa. Bi-racial couples exist and thrive in GC. We have one across the street. They are a vibrant part of the neighborhood and no one is scrambling to sell their home. They can "live and shop" free of worry. The scare tactics on these boards boggle my mind.

2. Another assumption you have is that white people are not the victims of discrimination.

Oh really? Try being politically conservative in certain sections of NY and see how quickly you and your children are ostracized. (Or, try being liberal in certain sections of the South). People have all sorts of intolerances, and whites are not immune. White people are the victims of offensive remarks all the time because of their background, socio-economic status, religious affiliation, etc.

The term "white trash" gets thrown around like an accepted part of our vocabulary. Why do you think that is? It's because discrimination based on race is being quickly replaced by a new form of discrimination where people are segregated based on class and earning potential. The US has always prided itself on being less elitist than Europe, but I sense that changing. People with less means aren't just looked down upon anymore, but they are openly scorned (regardless of the color of their skin).

Your post would have made much more sense if we lived in the 60's, 70's, and even part of the 80's. But, it's 2010 almost. There is no need to club people with the race card anymore. It does nothing more than divide and antagonize people.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
Even today, many Asian families tend to prefer Jericho, Syosset or Albertson ( Herricks) over Garden city, even though there is not a large difference between price of similar homes between Garden City and Jericho. Italian / Irish families tend towards Garden city. The trend is getting more mixed, but I still sense a strong tendency based on ethnicity here.

The reasoning seems to be the kids will have more children they can relate to in their schools / neighborhood ( Jericho has more than 15% Asian families now, while Syosset has more than 20% and Herricks has more than 40% Asian families, while GC has more than 95% white families).

Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Jrprofess

Yes, LI is segregated for historical reasons, but your type of thinking will keep it segregated for much much longer. Let's take apart some of the assumptions of your post.

1. You assume that a bi-racial couple will be the victim of racism in a predominantly white neighborhood, and therefore they should look to live in a town with the requisite number of people of their own racial makeup.

In today's day and age, nothing could be further from the truth. Most of society is walking on eggshells and lives in fear of even slightly offending someone because of their race. We have a bi-racial President and our television, movies, and advertisements are carefully scrutinized to include the "proper" amount of racial makeup. Think I'm joking? Advertisers spend millions to get their ads just right. Corporate HR departments and college admission departments spend countless hours on determining what they need to do to meet certain of their own imposed quotas. City governments throw out legitimate test results for promotion because not enough minorities passed a test that was specially formulated to be unbias. This is our society today. You may like some of these practices or you may not. But, they are alive and well.

The world has changed if you haven't noticed. The OP will not be lynched if she moves her family to GC or Massapequa. Bi-racial couples exist and thrive in GC. We have one across the street. They are a vibrant part of the neighborhood and no one is scrambling to sell their home. They can "live and shop" free of worry. The scare tactics on these boards boggle my mind.

2. Another assumption you have is that white people are not the victims of discrimination.

Oh really? Try being politically conservative in certain sections of NY and see how quickly you and your children are ostracized. (Or, try being liberal in certain sections of the South). People have all sorts of intolerances, and whites are not immune. White people are the victims of offensive remarks all the time because of their background, socio-economic status, religious affiliation, etc.

The term "white trash" gets thrown around like an accepted part of our vocabulary. Why do you think that is? It's because discrimination based on race is being quickly replaced by a new form of discrimination where people are segregated based on class and earning potential. The US has always prided itself on being less elitist than Europe, but I sense that changing. People with less means aren't just looked down upon anymore, but they are openly scorned (regardless of the color of their skin).

Your post would have made much more sense if we lived in the 60's, 70's, and even part of the 80's. But, it's 2010 almost. There is no need to club people with the race card anymore. It does nothing more than divide and antagonize people.

Let's be real here guys (or gals)...few of us white folks wake up on Long Island each and every day concerned about what potential social bias and racism we might encounter. I made the statement of "zero risk" which is an absolute, and thusly incorrect...but c'mon, be honest with yourself. I can't tell you how many times I have thought to myself, gee, with all of this reverse racism against me, a white male, I can hardly make it up the social and career ladder...if only I were lucky enough to be a black male in present day Long Island. And I apologize if you think I used the "race card". I simply think your theory is seriously flawed, and hard to consider given you are likely white which probably means your perspective is lacking a bit. Using the "race card" implies I called you a racist, which I did not. I just think you are naive and ignorant, which is far less insulting (that was a joke).

I think it is very naive to assume that present day (particularly in an area recently noted as one of the most segregated 'burbs in the country) LI has evolved so much in its views on race that your chief concern is how this perpetuates racism and then lends itself to a platform of "white discrimination". We can agree to disagree but I find that laughable. I have sat on the LIRR listening throughout the presidential election as lily white business-suited types discussed how a "insert black slur" will never get elected. You are being naive if you think we far ahead on these issues today. Improved, certainly, but you have to admit that the cries of "bias" from two white folks who question why a bi-racial couple would want to seek a town that might be potentially more diverse than others is a stretch. You are ignoring the reality all around you. In order to improve things you need to first acknowledge its existence, not ignore that it still occurs (even in 2010!). I could be mistaken of course...but I am willing to bet next months mortgage that if an African American family moved into a home on some street in Massapequa (Massapequa schools) that maybe, JUST maybe, one or two neighbors on the street might have a less than positive comment to make...amongst themselves of course.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
but I am willing to bet next months mortgage that if an African American family moved into a home on some street in Massapequa (Massapequa schools) that maybe, JUST maybe, one or two neighbors on the street might have a less than positive comment to make...amongst themselves of course.
It goes both ways... I'm sure a white family moving into a "black" neighborhood would cause some less than positive comments as well. The fact is a couple of comments amongst people does not equate to a lynching. Everywhere you go there will be ignorant jerks who don't like you for a myriad of reasons not including race - that's life. The better question the OP could have asked is where is an area they will be accepted. There are plenty of "white" neighborhoods that would be perfectly accepting of anybody of good character moving into their neighborhood. By specifically asking for diversity, the OP is basically calling white people racists. Reverse racism does exist and is alive and well.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Agreed, even worse are the people who hyphenate themselves. The only people who should be hyphenated are those who were not born in the US, everyone else is a plain old American period.

^ My reaction everytime I see a thread like this
I don't know why this has to take on a political air...Just respond to the OP or ignore the thread...

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 08-21-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
Found a related thread on the bottom.. https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...rcentages.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island