Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
I bought in 1993 and worked in NYC at 27 years old. Not sure why any of this matters. There are many woman I know that invested in RE as a means of security in the 90's and later. Perhaps you are a bit older and this is a concept you find hard to believe due to generational issues. Gone are the days of waiting to marry and have children to begin financial planning.
Not sure why it matters? I guess you have not heard of the real estate bubble that peaked a few years ago and made first homes almost unafforable for a f/t working couple, let alone a single working person?

1993 was well before that and homes were much more affordable to all members of the middle class. If you accomplished buying your own home alone in 2006, then that would mean something a lot more.

No, actually I am younger than you.

The person I originally addressed bought her first home at 25 as a married woman with her husband, so I don't know what that has to do with single females investing alone in real estate anyway.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-22-2009 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Add that poor guy from Valley Stream that was killed up in East Harlem (what he's doing up there buying condoms, while is wife was home sleeping) is beyond me.
That poor guy lived in the Hamlet of Woodmere ("Valley Stream, NY 11581" mailing address).

Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Just in the last two days

Valley Stream Man Convicted of Dragging NYC Cop

NEW YORK (AP) -- A Long Island man has been convicted of dragging a police officer along a busy Queens street after the officer became caught in the man's car door.
Walter Hurdle, of Valley Stream, faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced Sept. 8.
Prosecutors say he was convicted Tuesday of assault on a police officer and reckless driving in the Jan. 18, 2007 incident in the Jamaica section of Queens.
Officers approached Hurdle, 53, after spotting him slumped over in a parked car. When they asked him to step out, he hit the gas, catching Sgt. John Pagnotta in an open door.
The car smashed into the police cruiser and dragged Pagnotta between 15 and 30 feet. He suffered a broken pelvis, several broken ribs, a fractured backbone and a dislocated shoulder.
Looks like there will be another 75% disability pal of yours for us to support!

Quote:
Cops: Long Island Teacher Had Sex with Minor

WEST ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) -- A Long Island teacher is charged with having sex with a 15-year-old girl in the parking lot of an elementary school.

Suffolk County police say the Valley Stream teacher met the victim on MySpace. They're looking into whether he had sex with any other girls he met online.

Police say 28-year-old Daniel Rothbard is scheduled to appear Wednesday in First District Court in Central Islip. He is charged with rape, criminal sexual act, sexual abuse and child endangerment.

A message left at a number listed under that name was not immediately returned. The name of his attorney was not immediately available.

Police say a patrol officer made the discovery Tuesday evening outside Westbrook Elementary School in West Islip.
Is he a teacher in one of the VS school districts or is he a resident of VS? The story is unclear.

Quote:
Add that poor guy from Valley Stream that was killed up in East Harlem (what he's doing up there buying condoms, while is wife was home sleeping) is beyond me.
I didn't hear about that one. No sympathy for him. I hope his life insurance was a nice big policy and his wife can enjoy life now without that cheater. I am sure he was worth more dead than alive.

Quote:
And the arrest of two of the 15 AA that assaulted the white guy.
Still only two arrested? Looks like your former coworkers are lacking in skills to find the rest. As we discussed in another thread, these two were known knuckleheads.

Quote:
I would say the Valley Stream is in the news way too much for my liking.
Ah poor baby, you can't make it in the "hood" like me! Wussie.

PS: I hope that all these criminals you are reporting on are BLACK. They are the only VS criminals that count on here. If any of them were white, I cry foul because that's not a "there goes the neighborhood" scenario. White criminals in residence get a pass.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-22-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
You make some great points. I guess the problem is historically and to my knowledge, LI has never experienced a mixed, diverse area that stayed really nice and middle-class without gang infestation and increased violence and declining schools. Hoepfully VS can be the first LI testament to success. People here tend to draw from their experiences. Not all the comments about "change" are racist-based due to internal morals and values, many are based on historic white-flight and property values plummeting. Areas like Freeport should have been a successful models and were not. Times are changing however and VS could be a true successful model of diversity in all of its positives for LI...but it is not a guarentee.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Freeport is an interesting case because I believe much of the AA working class fled the influx of a hispanic underclass with gangs.

As for what will become of VS, we will see. I tend to believe that it will continue to not attract illegal aliens, gangs, and that the schools will still perform well because anyone who is moving in is not a hoodrat. These days after the housing bubble you have to be solidly middle class to buy a home on LI. You're not getting into LI on welfare now. The only exception would be if people who can't sell their single family homes rent them to Section 8 transplants from the inner city and that exact model has already proven to be a major disaster in the California suburbs to the point where it would be better to burn the house down instead, as per this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/us/09housing.html

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-22-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Freeport is an interesting case because I believe much of the AA working class fled the influx of a hispanic underclass with gangs.

As for what will become of VS, we will see. I tend to believe that it will continue to not attract illegal aliens, gangs, and that the schools will still perform well because anyone who is moving in is not a hoodrat. These days after the housing bubble you have to be solidly middle class to buy a home on LI. You're not getting into LI on welfare now. The only exception would be if people who can't sell their single family homes rent them to Section 8 transplants from the inner city and that exact model has already proven to be a major disaster in the California suburbs to the point where it would be better to burn the house down instead, as per this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/us/09housing.html
They are predicting that home prices on LI will drop another 40% over the next 2 years, making it even that much more affordable for family from the inner-city to move to the Island. Valley Stream,Baldwin,Freeport,Roosevelt are already at the lower spectrum of towns (value) in Nassau county. Like other posters stated they are looking for the diversity (Baldwin, Valley Stream) because you want that feeling of "fitting in" and you can't blame them. I have no problem with a family of any race trying to better themselves, I even incouarge it. People have to work so hard to move from Jamaica, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville to L.I. and pay those ridiuclous taxes, that they deserve so much credit. And I do give it to them.

The problem I was seeing in my former town Baldwin, which I stated before was with the children of such hard working parents. Some not all must have not gotten the memo that they have moved. There is a big difference with children growing up in the projects of Brooklyn and now they are trying to get adjusted to the Island. Like I posted before after 39 years of living growing up and living on the south shore of Li, I've seen the changes, and for me and my family it was unfortunately wasn't for the better. The hanging-out, pants down to their knees, the smoking of the weed, the groups trying to intimidate me while walking my dog. The garbage thrown in the streets, the gang colors, stolen bikes, car getting broken into,etc ....starting to feel and sound like the inner-city.

I 've seen the fights break out by the H.S. I seen these kids have nothing to do so they hang-out on the street corners like they were still hanging on Church or Flatbush Ave. In your town wasn't it a group of 6-7 AA teenagers had a problem with 6-7 other AA teenagers and the poor white guy was attempting to move his car and they jump him???????? I really can't remember these things happening years ago in V.S. or Baldwin. Call it diversity, call it a change of demographic make up, multiculturalism, whatever......Sometimes we could see into the future by looking at the past and I wasn't liking what I was seeing. I know I Love will quote this and put her usually spin to it, but hey these are my opinions not hers.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
They are predicting that home prices on LI will drop another 40% over the next 2 years.
You must have missed the huge debate on here a couple of weeks ago about that very subject and most people, even those who wish the prices would go down, did not agree with that figure.

Quote:
Valley Stream,Baldwin,Freeport,Roosevelt.
How can you lump those together as the "bottom?" Doesn't sound right to me. Take a look at the home prices in Levittown, Hicksville, Farmingdale and that is more in line with VS and Baldwin for first time buyers, not Freeport and Roosevelt.

Quote:
The problem I was seeing in my former town Baldwin, which I stated before was with the children of such hard working parents. Some not all must have not gotten the memo that they have moved. There is a big difference with children growing up in the projects of Brooklyn and now they are trying to get adjusted to the Island. Like I posted before after 39 years of living growing up and living on the south shore of Li, I've seen the changes, and for me and my family it was unfortunately wasn't for the better. The hanging-out, pants down to their knees, the smoking of the weed, the groups trying to intimidate me while walking my dog. The garbage thrown in the streets, the gang colors, stolen bikes, car getting broken into,etc ....starting to feel and sound like the inner-city.
You are the expert on Baldwin, not me. I will say that straight out, BUT doesn't Baldwin HS have the "dozens of cousins" syndrome where inner city kids are using the addresses of family and friends in Baldwin to go to the schools? VS doesn't have much of that problem because the SDs check very carefully and make people show multiple proof that they actually live where they say they do.

I also do not see "Brooklyn housing project" blacks moving into VS. In another post, I mentioned a black couple that moved in on the next block and they are certainly not inner city types and paid a price for the home that does not reflect that either ($505K, $515K asking price). They improved the home and drive luxury cars and SUVs (Lexus and BMW).

We also do not have dirty streets, horrible properties, illegal aliens living 30 to a house, and graffiti. Nor is VS a gang homeland like some other LI towns have become.

This is exactly what I meant when I challenged someone who said "Long Island seems to care more about your financial standing than the color of your skin." That is totally wrong when it comes to VS because it seems no matter how well off or how nicely they keep their home, the black residents that have moved to VS are viewed by the rest of LI as a LIABILITY that will definitely wreck the town. It is crystal clear in so many of these posts, yet some people on LI really like to kid themselves that "LI'ers are not concerned with color."

Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Maybe if you got off your computer and actually went outside you would be noticing it
Over 2,000 post, come on, take a break and go outside..........

Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Maybe if you got off your computer and actually went outside you would be noticing it
Over 2,000 post, come on, take a break and go outside..........
I do a lot of walking around the neighborhood, particularly at night when bad things supposedly are more bound to happen. At night I walk home from the LIRR and it's often after 9 pm. I see plenty of people getting off the train with me and no suspicious characters around, nobody "following" me on a deserted block, etc. I also walk my dog very late at night (1 am, 2 am, 3 am). I don't see anyone or anything suspicious. It's just very quiet out.

Just to make you happy since you think I never notice anything, let me think of some things I did see. All kind of have to do with the Rite Aid store. Once in awhile there is a big, fat guy in a motorized wheelchair outside the Rite Aid store begging for money because he claims he needs to get something to eat. He is whiny and annoying, but not dangerous and actually I rarely see him at Rite Aid these days, but I do see him in other towns like Franklin Square, pulling his beggar schtick. Sometimes kids are outside Rite Aid and they are selling trinkets and candy for "a cause." Not dangerous; just regular kids; but they can be persistent little buggers. One evening awhile back around 7 or 8 pm I was walking my dog and some guy on a bicycle stops and starts giving me a tale of how he is an out of work plumber and asked me to buy him baby formula at Rite Aid (which was a couple of blocks away). As if I am an idiot. I know if I did it he would probably return the thing for cash. Plus, I just carry keys when I walk the dog, so even if I wanted to do it, I had no money on me anyway. My dog is very protective and I could tell she was getting antsy and taking umbrage at his presence, so I told him that he should just go away or my dog might want to take a chunk out of him. He starts waving his arms around saying, "Man, that's cold!" and getting excited, so my dog charged him and stood up at the end of her leash and barked and then growled and bared her teeth right in his face. Needless to say, he took off for greener pastures. And no, he was not wearing gang colors.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 43,378 times
Quote:
They are predicting that home prices on LI will drop another 40% over the next 2 years, making it even that much more affordable for family from the inner-city to move to the Island. Valley Stream,Baldwin,Freeport,Roosevelt are already at the lower spectrum of towns (value) in Nassau county. Like other posters stated they are looking for the diversity (Baldwin, Valley Stream) because you want that feeling of "fitting in" and you can't blame them. .
I do agree LI home prices will drop over the next 2 years, but higher end market will get hit harder this time. Don’t know why some people are so negative on Valley Stream. My wife and I take a walk around my neighborhood after dinner every night, it’s pretty safe and quite. Just a couple of times some white guys shouted to us “Asian get outta here”. Give you some profiles about my neighbors, white firefighter, white plumber, white gardener, Indian electrical engineer, myself a financial engineer. My white neighbor's kid cannot even go to a college, another white's kid go to a community college. Yes probably I will move, you know why
Different group (age, income etc) of people has different needs. I was trying to say that Valley Stream is a great option for young couples, first time home buyers, due to its great location and cheap housing prices.
I moved to VS four years ago, since I didn't have any kids then, short commuting time was my priority. It only takes around 30 minutes for LIRR to get you into the city. I am not trying to compare Valley Stream with Great Neck. I actually will move to Great Neck or Jericho when my baby gets older. My scenario was to live around 10 years in Valley Stream. In this case I was able to save enough cash to buy higher end property. It's a bad idea to put on too much debt on your back, especially in current difficult economy.
For those who believe "minority" (or be more specific) ruined your school district, do you have any idea how well the Asian students have done in the top school districts like Great Neck South, Jericho? I guess a good number of the rest of the best are Jewish students. Asian people actually help your community. I like most of the whites, in general they are pretty open. Ironically, those retard whites tend to have attitude.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydragon View Post
Don’t know why some people are so negative on Valley Stream. My wife and I take a walk around my neighborhood after dinner every night, it’s pretty safe and quite.
***sigh*** They won't believe people who actually live in Valley Stream.

Quote:
Just a couple of times some white guys shouted to us “Asian get outta here”.
Imagine what they would say if you were black.

Quote:
Give you some profiles about my neighbors, white firefighter, white plumber, white gardener, Indian electrical engineer, myself a financial engineer. My white neighbor's kid cannot even go to a college, another white's kid go to a community college.
What? White dummies? Is that possible?

Quote:
Yes probably I will move, you know why
Different group (age, income etc) of people has different needs. I was trying to say that Valley Stream is a great option for young couples, first time home buyers, due to its great location and cheap housing prices.
I moved to VS four years ago, since I didn't have any kids then, short commuting time was my priority. It only takes around 30 minutes for LIRR to get you into the city. I am not trying to compare Valley Stream with Great Neck. I actually will move to Great Neck or Jericho when my baby gets older. My scenario was to live around 10 years in Valley Stream. In this case I was able to save enough cash to buy higher end property. It's a bad idea to put on too much debt on your back, especially in current difficult economy.
I didn't think I would stay here as long as I did when I first moved here. I just thought, like you, it was a start. And I am staying because like you I am not keen on a lot of debt plus I like the place and find it convenient.

Quote:
For those who believe "minority" (or be more specific) ruined your school district, do you have any idea how well the Asian students have done in the top school districts like Great Neck South, Jericho? I guess a good number of the rest of the best are Jewish students. Asian people actually help your community. I like most of the whites, in general they are pretty open. Ironically, those retard whites tend to have attitude.
On LI, the smartest minority is considered an aberration and are tolerated to varying degrees on the degree of darkness in their skin color (lighter = better) and whites who are idiots and/or criminals are given a pass, because, after all, they are white, so they can't be that bad, can they? Look on other threads here. There are people who actually believe whites aren't in gangs and don't go to prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island