Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 43,449 times

Advertisements

Valley Stream is the best option for middle class, first time borrows who is looking in Nassau. VS house is cheap, short commute to manhattan, easy lirr parking, low property tax, close to beaches etc. Be practical. My wife and I are Chinese, both Columbia Ph.d and have 6 digit Wall street jobs, moved to VS 4 years ago. Think about it, for the same quality house, are you willing to pay 700+k, 150k property tax (+ another 20% down side risk) in area like Great Neck or 300+k, 70k property tax in Valley Stream? Forget those loser basier's biased post. It's true, Green Acre Mall looks dark, why not ignore it then, you can go shoopping in Roosevel or Manhasset mall. VS high schools are not among the best, but as far as I know, they still have some students go to Ivy League. Don't work for your bank/lender. Going forward, making money is harder for everybody, financial deleverage is everywhere. My advice save more cash, borrow less debt. You will enjoy valley stream when you move down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,437,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Demographics

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 36,368 people, 12,484 households, and 9,600 families residing in the village. The population density was 10,569.5 people per square mile (4,081.9/km2). There were 12,688 housing units at an average density of 3,687.5/sq mi (1,424.1/km2). The racial make up of the village is 78.8% White, 7.5% African American, 0.1% Native American, 6.9% Asian, 4.1% from other races and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino were 12.3% of the population. The median household income was $62,243 and the family income was $72,585.
In the 2007 U.S. Census Estimate, the population was estimated to have increased to 38,233. The estimated population is:
I think you are comparing the Village alone to the whole area known as Valley Stream. Walter Greenspan can explain it.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM

659 posts, read 2,528,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydragon View Post
Valley Stream is the best option for middle class, first time borrows who is looking in Nassau. VS house is cheap, short commute to manhattan, easy lirr parking, low property tax, close to beaches etc. Be practical. My wife and I are Chinese, both Columbia Ph.d and have 6 digit Wall street jobs, moved to VS 4 years ago. Think about it, for the same quality house, are you willing to pay 700+k, 150k property tax (+ another 20% down side risk) in area like Great Neck or 300+k, 70k property tax in Valley Stream? Forget those loser basier's biased post. It's true, Green Acre Mall looks dark, why not ignore it then, you can go shoopping in Roosevel or Manhasset mall. VS high schools are not among the best, but as far as I know, they still have some students go to Ivy League. Don't work for your bank/lender. Going forward, making money is harder for everybody, financial deleverage is everywhere. My advice save more cash, borrow less debt. You will enjoy valley stream when you move down here.

I can think of many nicer towns between the VS and Great Neck price range in Nassau County.

Although I don't think the town is bad, I never even considered it when I bought my home 4 years ago and I grew up there (went to school there). I think the main reason was resale. When an area is changing and it is not evident how bad it could become longterm, people may not want to invest their earnings in a home that could become undesirable due to location.

Most of the people I knew from VS sold to get out. It may never come to that, but it happened to Elmont (where I grew up) and I remember the area going downhill really fast. Hopefully VS never gets that bad, but why take a chance?

Although not dramtically, crime has increased in the last few years in VS .

Although I agree that you don't necessarily need to spend Great Neck prices to get into a nice, safe area, I wouldn't pick VS as a best bet.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I can think of many nicer towns between the VS and Great Neck price range in Nassau County.

Although I don't think the town is bad, I never even considered it when I bought my home 4 years ago and I grew up there (went to school there). I think the main reason was resale. When an area is changing and it is not evident how bad it could become longterm, people may not want to invest their earnings in a home that could become undesirable due to location.

Most of the people I knew from VS sold to get out. It may never come to that, but it happened to Elmont (where I grew up) and I remember the area going downhill really fast. Hopefully VS never gets that bad, but why take a chance.

Although I agree that you don't necessarily need to spend Great Neck prices to get into a nice, safe area, I wouldn't pick VS as a best bet.
It's been "changing" for over 2 decades now and the only thing changed is the color of many of the residents, even though they are middle class and keep their homes and property nice. How come so many of you people are CERTAIN it is the next Roosevelt or Hempstead and it will be burned to the ground by race riots any day now? LI is truly an amazing place ... black equals bad no matter what.

I can't even find any GRAFFITI in VS for crying out loud and I have asked on this board that if anyone sees it to let me know the location. You'd think the haters would have been on an all-out hunt for it and would have gleefully let me know about it by now.

Some people would "never even consider" Levittown either because of the very high taxes for lower middle class homes and the growing hispanic population. As for resale value, funny how Levittown is the place with the most under $300K houses in Nassau, not Valley Stream.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's been "changing" for over 2 decades now and the only thing changed is the color of many of the residents, even though they are middle class and keep their homes and property nice. How come so many of you people are CERTAIN it is the next Roosevelt or Hempstead and it will be burned to the ground by race riots any day now? LI is truly an amazing place ... black equals bad no matter what.

I can't even find any GRAFFITI in VS for crying out loud and I have asked on this board that if anyone sees it to let me know the location. You'd think the haters would have been on an all-out hunt for it and would have gleefully let me know about it by now.

Some people would "never even consider" Levittown either because of the very high taxes for lower middle class homes and the growing hispanic population. As for resale value, funny how Levittown is the place with the most under $300K houses in Nassau, not Valley Stream.
You misunderstand me. I never sad VS is bad, I said many people may not consider it due to it being a changing area. I never said I had a problem with minorities, I said investment in homes could decline if the area changes. THAT IS IF. I never said it was certain at all. You are bashing my post when I said nothing of what you are talking about. Take it up with other posters, all I mentioned is housing values.

I could think of many towns better than VS. That is all I said. I never mentioned grafitti or race riots.

All I am saying is you can't possibly equate VS with Great Neck???????

Chill out and reread my post. You obviously didn't understand it. I'm not going to apologize for not thinking VS is the best town on LI.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,974,697 times
Quote:
Sure live there but don't shop there Put your money into other towns. Sure do your family a disservice by sending your children to lower performing SD, hedge their future and P.S for a guy with a PhD you spell like my 4 year old niece

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,974,697 times
Quote:
Wow. Aren't we judgemental. It's people like you that make civil discussions into personal attacks. You don't know me and don't know anything about me.

I didn't consider Lynbrook either, does that make me anti-white? Stop playing the race card. I wasn't at all. Yeah, I have some Hispanics in my town..so what. I have nothing against them at all and am friends with many.

I don't care for VS...let it go. Why dobn't you look internally to see where your hate is coming from
llama, don't take anything LI says personally. There is no winning with that one. S/he is very opinionated (which is not a bad thing) but seems to like controversy for what ever reason. Take its postings with a grain of salt, I know I do.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
llama, don't take anything LI says personally. There is no winning with that one. S/he is very opinionated (which is not a bad thing) but seems to like controversy for what ever reason. Take its postings with a grain of salt, I know I do.

Thanks. I appreciate the moral support. I hate when people personally attack on here when they don't agree with someone's opinion. I'll be mindful to watch out for that particular person in the future and just let it go.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,831,063 times
Quote:
Think about it, for the same quality house, are you willing to pay 700+k, 150k property tax (+ another 20% down side risk) in area like Great Neck or 300+k, 70k property tax in Valley Stream?
Huh? $150,000 vs $70,000 annual property tax?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You misunderstand me. I never sad VS is bad, I said many people may not consider it due to it being a changing area. I never said I had a problem with minorities, I said investment in homes could decline if the area changes. THAT IS IF. I never said it was certain at all. You are bashing my post when I said nothing of what you are talking about. Take it up with other posters, all I mentioned is housing values.

I could think of many towns better than VS. That is all I said. I never mentioned grafitti or race riots.

All I am saying is you can't possibly equate VS with Great Neck???????

Chill out and reread my post. You obviously didn't understand it. I'm not going to apologize for not thinking VS is the best town on LI.
Let me try again.

Nobody was equating VS with Great Neck. The man just said that he prefers to spend much less money on a house and taxes and have more money in the bank, so he bought in VS, even though he and his wife make enough to buy in Great Neck.

I find it odd for someone who "invested" in Levittown, another changing community, which actually never even had a great reputation, and which on top of that also has lower average value houses than VS does, to discuss how they never considered buying in VS due to the supposed "danger of investing in a changing community." Sorry, I just don't think Levittown, whose demographics are also changing rapidly (to hispanic rather than "too many blacks"), and whose homes are already low value for Nassau, is a high enough hill to look down upon VS from. Isn't it the pot calling the kettle black if one is inclined to judge towns on such criteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island