Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 17,509 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am new to the forum~

We are planning to get a house on Long Island, and need some suggestions from you guys.

I work at Downtown New York, and hubby works in Jericho. We have a budget at 400k, and so far Hicksville seems fitting us the best since it is LIRR major hub, in our price range, large property and large yard (we have a Golden Retriever who has lots of energy and needs a big yard to run). But I am not familiar with the area, and after searching on this forum, I am still not sure if Hicksville is a good area to live in.

We are not planning to have kids yet, and even if we do, we are not looking for top school districts. So, fair shool district is fine with us.

We found some nice houses in the area, and I want to know if it is safe to walk around since I have to walk my dog all the time? Walkable distance to LIRR station is what I wanted too, but is it safe to walk?? Also, Is there any park allow loose lease dogs or dog run in the nearby area?

Houses we like were locating inside of the grey lined area, any feed back in those area??

If not so good, base on our crietra, any other area that you'll suggest?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,336,774 times
Its a little too close to the seedy areas near the train station (W.John Street & vicinity). I've seen flophouses also on the north side of Old Country.
I would go a little further south toward Levittown. Check out the Spindle Rd area, shouldnt cost anymore.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,969,474 times
I would say Hicksville is good south of Old Country Rd. It just appears to be a growing Indian population in the area as you'll be able to tell by the stores in the area. They keep to themselves and aren't any problems. West of the Hicksville train station you generally should stay away from.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

95 posts, read 207,215 times
I'd say having tons of Indians around is a good thing. They're generally hard working and well educated, and make the most delicious spicy food!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,741,773 times
samchu_mammy, here is a link to a recent thread about Hicksville that includes a link to a more in-depth thread about Hicksville: https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...icksville.html

Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,364,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleIslander View Post
I'd say having tons of Indians around is a good thing. They're generally hard working and well educated, and make the most delicious spicy food!
The kids will be busy practicing for the Spelling Bee (an Indian kid from Hicksville made it to the national finals a year or two ago) and will generally not be out fighting, spraying graffiti, and joining gangs.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Its a little too close to the seedy areas near the train station (W.John Street & vicinity). I've seen flophouses also on the north side of Old Country.
I would go a little further south toward Levittown. Check out the Spindle Rd area, shouldnt cost anymore.
I would love to stay a little closer to the station since I hate driving, and planning to walk to the station. Is it safe to walk there?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I would say Hicksville is good south of Old Country Rd. It just appears to be a growing Indian population in the area as you'll be able to tell by the stores in the area. They keep to themselves and aren't any problems. West of the Hicksville train station you generally should stay away from.

I don't really mind Indian popluation~ thanks for the advise of standing away from the W of RR station, I'll keep that in mind!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
samchu_mammy, here is a link to a recent thread about Hicksville that includes a link to a more in-depth thread about Hicksville: https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...icksville.html
Thank you very much Walter, am reading it now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island