Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 04:26 PM

36 posts, read 23,487 times

Advertisements

I see some house for sale in low 400ks in plainview and they are all mainly border near by hicksvile.
since I've never live in Long island I'd like to find out if being border by hicksville will cause the price drop a little (like garden city border with Hempstead)

in example house with this address 1 Violet Ln, Plainview, NY 11803 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times
Hicksville is not a bad (crime-ridden) neighborhood, especially by there. I'd say it has zero effect on the price in the case of these 2 towns. As a matter of fact, Surrey which is 1 block south of that is considered Bethpage. There are houses in the mid-to-high 300s in Plainview as well... smaller and older ranches and they are toward the middle of town (not necessarily for sale at the moment).

I can't seem to find the price history of this house (which helps with determining why they want that price), but it appears they have been on the market for a while because of the high price. They are only assessed at 359k (taken with a grain of salt) and it needs a lot of updating. Also the 1150sqft for $450k+ is too high. I'm also guessing it's close enough to Old Country Road that you'll get constant road noise.

Positives: gas heat, big enough yard, full basement, think the garage is at least partially converted already.

Anyway, you said it was only an example. 4 bed and under $450k there are better options.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-05-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM

30 posts, read 89,012 times
Plainview - Hicksville = different taxes. Go to Nassau County Property Search: Land Record Viewer

Enter the address or addresses of the homes you are considering and review the information, including how much the taxes are, there.

Hicksville taxes are lower, I believe.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 23,487 times
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,550 times
Plainview is a predominately white collar town as Hicksville is a blue collar town. The closer you live to Hicksville or Bethpage, the less expensive and less desirable the area becomes. However, since home demand is so great in Plainview, these prices will probably Increase within the next couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island