Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,068,864 times

Advertisements

It cost me $13.00 to get back on Long Island from the Jersey side. $8.00 for the GW bridge and $5.00 for the Throgs Neck bridge. I'm not even counting the Thruway tolls on the way down to the GW....

There was of course major bumper to bumper traffic pouring through each loaction. What are they doing with all that money...?

Why are bridges to get on and off L.I. so much more expensive than crossings higher up the Hudson, or on other bridges in other parts of the country....?......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM

999 posts, read 2,360,972 times
Because you/we won't do anything about it... so why not charge you/us more.

Becareful they don't start doing it with everything else..

Old 06-29-2009, 04:45 PM

874 posts, read 2,878,711 times
The tolls are so high since they know that people have no choice but to take them. They hit me for a lot more when I am towing with my trailer. They charge you by the axle. New Jersey is the worst because you have to pay the Turnpike fees as well. They are a killer by themselves.

Going upstate with my trailer is a headache because I get hit for the Throgs Neck and then the Tappan Zee. There are not many options for avoiding them especially when you are towing a trailer so they know you will have to pay it so I guess they figure why not make the tolls high.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,068,864 times
But what can we do, there are few options to get off the Island by car and the only alternatives to the bridges and tunnels are the ferrys at Port Jeff and Orient which are more...

Good grief, according to this webpage for the MTA it looks like they are going up as of 3AM on July 12th.....

MTA.info (http://www.mta.info/bandt/traffic/btmain.htm - broken link)

Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,182,730 times
^^ You will do what you do with everything else you get ripped off on... LIPA, taxes, tolls, etc..YOU WILL PAY IT AND LIKE IT!!! Sad, but reality.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,182,730 times
Holy sh*t! Just curious on the funds collected from the GWB alone and I came up with the following link from 2007. "The GWB brings in on average, 1 million dollars per day". Thats just crazy. To the OP your right...were does all this money go?? Im sure the state comproller gets his pockets protected. And this in only 1 bridge. lmao. Crazy.

George Washington Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another interesting thing in the tolls sections. It reads that any car with 3 or more people in it, at any time, pays only $2 for the carpool toll. Anyone know anything about this? It says you have to be signed up for the carpool plan? Im def. looking into this.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Originally the TBTA Tolls were used to fund construction on Roads and other bridges in the downstate NY area.

When the NYC Transit Authority began hitting a serious deficit operating Buses, and the Subway system and essentially was at a complete standstill because of their money issues, Robert Moses was brought on board and his lucrative TBTA was merged into the current MTA family.

You pay a lot to cross the bridges and tunnels because people who live in New York City proper don't pay enough into their systems to keep them afloat. The NYC Subway and Busses bleed money like crazy...

Essentially of your $5 toll, which is going up to $5.50 in two weeks; about .40 cents goes towards bridge maintenence, and the other $4.60 goes towards subsidizing city riders. Much of which is more-than-likely grossly mismanaged.

MTA officials actually have spoken to me on this matter about considering the high cost a 'congestion charge' of sorts- a high tax to pay to drive within New York City. Of course my drives are from Nassau to Westchester; of which the connecting bridge was, and may never be built. Robert Moses campaigned to finish that bridge to keep traffic moving in all directions, unfortunately it was held up for a variety of reasons.

That of course, is probably the only bet you have at ever seeing competitive fares. Allowing a bridge off the island to be built that isn't under the control of the MTA- it's also the only option that can be controlled by your directly elected officials.

Consider speaking at MTA public hearings, they on occasion will be hosted on LI and give you an opportunity to rile up the community on affairs important to Long Islanders.

Good Luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,475,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
It cost me $13.00 to get back on Long Island from the Jersey side. $8.00 for the GW bridge and $5.00 for the Throgs Neck bridge. I'm not even counting the Thruway tolls on the way down to the GW....

There was of course major bumper to bumper traffic pouring through each loaction. What are they doing with all that money...?

Why are bridges to get on and off L.I. so much more expensive than crossings higher up the Hudson, or on other bridges in other parts of the country....?......
ShouldIMoveOrStayPut:

(Should I stay or should I go?
If I go there will be trouble,
If I stay it will be double).

Now to your post:
1) The bridges belong to different authorities, hence the different polices and prices.
2) What money are you talking about? NY, the MTA and NJ are all in very deep deficits. Only yesterday the subway price went up to $2.25 and more price increases are expected.
3) NY state assembly wanted to raise the toll on all bridges to the city. More annoying, they intended to add toll plazas in both ways (where today you pay one direction only). However, because of the political stalemate, things are not finalized yet.
4) Mayor Bloomberg had a brilliant idea - congestion tax! Every vehicle driving to the 67th street and lower in Manhattan, would pay $8... For now this idea is put on hold.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Don't even get me started!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,823,313 times
the tolls have gone up about $2 in the last 2 years. it cost me $18 to get to jersey and back yesterday, $10 across the verrazano and $8 across the outerbridge crossing. a year or so it was $8 and $6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island