Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM

61 posts, read 210,255 times

Advertisements

Bruce (aka Armstrong) is pretty good and made in USA. If you are looking for pre-finished, 3/4” thick, standard hardwood (2.25” strip), in-stock colors (Laurel). Its about $3.25 - $3.60 PSF. Installation varies greatly depending on the contractor, typically from $3.00 - $7.00. If you are handy and have the time, these pre-finished hardwoods are fairly easy to install.

My only advice is not to get Bamboo hardwood. The current technology used on these is still not good enough for LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 17 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,321,052 times
I had wood floors put into my entire townhouse & it looks 1000% better than the ratty old carpets. They even did them while I was still there (as well as all my furniture and filled dressers and bookcases and everything). They were fabulous and I would be glad to give you their names. It was around $8k, but I am so happy with it and when I go to sell ( probably this year) , I know that my townhouse will sell before one that has those old crummy wall to wall carpets.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 AM

874 posts, read 2,879,778 times
$8,000! Holy cannoli! If someone buys the materials and gives me $400 I would be willing to do their entire house for them. This would be less than half of that. I am sure that your floors look great but I personally would not have that kind of money for floors.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 17 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,321,052 times
That was with all the materials . I just remembered that included taking down old wallpaper and painting all of the house and changing the decorative white molding boards that go around the floors and doors and putting on wider ones so that they matched the new floors. And, the stairs with a runner (I think that was the most difficult) . Also, they put in new decorative tile walls in the kitchen. It looks like a whole new house, really.

The wood floors, though, are so much warmer than the rugs were .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-25-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,609,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
There is marble flooring in the kitchen, its has chips on most tiles, what can be done to finish marble floors ?
I'm assuming the chips are mostly on the corners? The most likely cause is a poor installation; if the underlying surface is not absolutely level and the tiles set likewise, each corner that extends even the slightest bit above that of the adjacent tile will be prone to damage.

Marble is not the best choice for a high traffic area such as a kitchen because it is softer than the alternatives (granite, porcelain, or ceramic) although if set badly any of those tiles will end up with corner chipping ... just not as quickly, easily, or badly as marble tiles will.

Unfortunately there's no patchwork fix for chipped tiles. You could ask the sellers if they have any extra tiles left over from the original installation and if so you could try the extremely PITA job of trying to get the broken tiles up and replacing them. In the process you'll probably damage many of the adjacent tiles and if the root cause is an uneven base, replacing the chipped tiles won't even help; the new tiles will just end up chipped the same way the old ones were.

Since you say that many of the tiles are chipped, rather than just a few, my guess is that the base wasn't done right. It sounds like the installer didn't use the mud-base method which is preferable.

If the chips aren't bad but mostly cosmetic, you could have the marble floor professionally cleaned and sealed. I know of a good company that specializes in cleaning all sorts of tile floors as well as carpeting, so DM me if you would like their name and number for an inspection/estimate.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,356,604 times
Depending on the sq footage $8K isn't bad for wood. at 1500 sqft thats $5 sqft, at 1000 sqft thats $8 sqft.

Material for that is at least $3 sqft, plus underlayment and any trim.

Laminate can be nice in certian areas, I've seen it done nicely. However, I've also seen do it yourself laminate and ceramic tiling look like crap. Whatever you put down pay attention to detail and don't put in low quality stuff, it will just come back to haunt you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island