Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM

21 posts, read 102,933 times

Advertisements

I currently have Asbestos Vinyl Floor/Tiles in the basement of my house – should I be worried? It just has the regular wear and tear but has no signs of peeling off. Another silly question - would walking on it cause an alarming amount of asbestos to be disturbed?

I plan to finish the basement hopefully in the near future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM

20,076 posts, read 20,883,901 times
Are you positive? They were normally 8x8 tiles.
You shouldn't be too concerned as long as they are in good condition. It's when they break apart that there could potentially be a problem, that is when the asbestos fibers are released into the air and into your lungs.
So, if you plan on removing them yourself, just be careful.
You could just carpet right over them too.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 AM

874 posts, read 2,876,453 times
The problem with asbestos is the small fibers that you can't see in the air. These are the fibers that get into your lungs and float around and never break down. They make small cuts in your lungs and over a matter of years you get serious problems from either scar tissue or cancer. I would get rid of the tiles and if you do it yourself be EXTREMELY careful. I do not know where you live but I believe where I am in Brookhaven it is actually illegal to remove asbestos on your own.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,339,402 times
When I was doing research I found a house with asbestos sidings. I was very worried because I googled a lot and I got mixed information. The consensus was that the sidings are pretty robust and usually its not an issue at all till it deteriorates and/or cracks. I hope the floors are the same kind. In any case mostly its the "mental" stress that you go through thinking about the "what if" scenarios....
So it might be okay, but I am really paranoid. If I were you, I would find out the cost of abatement and if its reasonable.... just get some professionals to get rid of it.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,547 times
How would you know if the are asbestos or not? I had the 'typical' basement tiles in my basement but it has been finished. the house was built in 1960 and I am assuming they were original. Are these type of tiles generally asbestos?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM

294 posts, read 879,604 times
15 years ago my husband and I removed 3 rooms worth of asbestos tiles. We wore masks but were not overly cautious about it. We were laying hardwood flooring over them and were advised to remove them first (we are on a slab). Problem is, we were breaking the tiles, smashing them, basically creating a hazard where there previously was none. I would not advise doing this moving forward.
Now that I am in the real estate business, I see lots of these floors, especially in levitts on the main living levels. I have had home inspectors tell me that they are generally safe unless they are broken and/or chipping. This is where the danger comes in. If they are level enough and in good shape, I suggest leaving them alone.

As for asbestos siding, I am also told that unless they are breaking, leave them be and side right over them. They are not known to be a hazard if they are intact, only if damaged.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Breaking them apart is the problem. Just be careful, usually they do come up pretty easy. Use a putty/spackle knife and just carefully peel them up. Wear a mask, and, you could also mist the tiles with a spray bottle of water. Keeps the dust down.
I've removed tons of asbestos floor tiles and shingles over the years, it is not a big deal at all as long you use the proper precautions.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Breaking them apart is the problem. Just be careful, usually they do come up pretty easy. Use a putty/spackle knife and just carefully peel them up. Wear a mask, and, you could also mist the tiles with a spray bottle of water. Keeps the dust down.
I've removed tons of asbestos floor tiles and shingles over the years, it is not a big deal at all as long you use the proper precautions.
I got mosty of them up in one piece but definitely broke many. didnt wear any mask or anything. Oh well.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM

21 posts, read 102,933 times
After some research, i'm leaning toward flooring over the asbestos tiles in my basement instead of removing it. I just don't want to deal with asbestos tiles possibly breaking plus the black mastic adhesive on it that also contains asbestos.

My plan is to put subflooring, then ceramic tiles or laminate flooring.....

Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM

You could just use laminate right over it. No need to get crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island